Why is Theon named after a Stark?

Exactly, and that is the original usage, even though contemporary (mostly) American usage has shifted the meaning of namesake towards the meaning of "the guy that someone was named for". GRRM uses the original meaning at other places (the "namesakes" that are mentioned are often actually younger and thus couldn't be the reasons for the name at all), so I assume he does here too.

any examples?

any examples?

While you wrote, I had edited my post to include one example, but will search for more.

Edit: Ok, these should be all uses of the word "namesake".

- Robert Arryn is referred to as King Robert's namesake in AGOT

- Eddard Karstark is referred to as Ned's namesake in AGOT

- The ship Great Kraken has a kraken as namesake in ACOK

- Stonesnake's namesake is a stonesnake in ACOK

- Brandon Stark is Bran's namesake in ACOK

- The Black Dread is the namesake of the ship Balerion in ASOS

- Roose Ryswell is referred to as Roose Bolton's namesake in ADWD

- Theon Stark is referred to as Theon Greyjoy's namesake in ADWD

Sometimes the namesake was born first (3 times), sometimes it was born later (2 times), sometimes one of the two isn't a person at all (3 times).

So it seems that GRRM uses the original meaning of the word instead of the American English colloquial "being named after" meaning.

While you wrote, I had edited my post to include one example, but will search for more.

Roose Bolton refers to Roose Ryswell as his (Bolton's) namesake, and I believe Ryswell is younger.

Edit: Ok, these should be all uses of the word "namesake".

- The ship Great Kraken has a kraken as namesake in ACOK

- Stonesnake's namesake is a stonesnake in ACOK

- Brandon Stark is Bran's namesake in ACOK

- The Black Dread is the namesake of the ship Balerion in ASOS

- Roose Ryswell is referred to as Roose Bolton's namesake in ADWD

- Theon Stark is referred to as Theon Greyjoy's namesake in ADWD

Sometimes the namesake was born first (3 times), sometimes it was born later (2 times), sometimes one of the two isn't a person at all (3 times).

So it seems that GRRM uses the original meaning of the word instead of the American English colloquial "being named after" meaning.

check my next post. Webster defines namesake as: one that has the same name as another- especially one who is named after another or for whom another is named.

Grrm is likely using the modern American meaning.

check my next post. Webster defines namesake as: one that has the same name as another- especially one who is named after another or for whom another is named.

Interesting, I didn't know that even MW defines simply having the same name as the main meaning. (Oxford English Dict of course doesn't even mention a possible "being named for" special meaning, but then of course it's about British English). Cheers.

He's probably using it both ways. There is no hard and fast rule that you have to use the same definition of a word or phrase and never the other once the first is used. Some guys are actually named for people, and others just have a similar name. I highly doubt Theon was named Theon because of Theon Stark. There have probably been numerous Theon Greyjoys thoughout the history of House Greyjoy.

Perhaps the names were just an intentional way of saying that Theon is more connected to the Starks than he thinks at first, and later admits to Barbrey. That's the one he admitted it to, right? Something like "I wanted to be one of them" in the crypts.

He's probably using it both ways. There is no hard and fast rule that you have to use the same definition of a word or phrase and never the other once the first is used. Some guys are actually named for people, and others just have a similar name. I highly doubt Theon was named Theon because of Theon Stark. There have probably been numerous Theon Greyjoys thoughout the history of House Greyjoy.

if he's using it both ways, Theon is the only exception to the 'named for' usage. I doubt that's the case.

I had long thought that Theon was named after the Stark king, but I just noticed in Dance that there is a Theomore (Manderly tells Davos that his maester is a Lannister from Lannisport by birth). I then went on the wiki to see if there are any other Theomores. Turns out that Theon's mom, Alannys, is descended from a Theomore Harlaw. She also has a brother named Rodrick. I now think that Alannys named her children and Theon was named after Theomore and Theon is the only exception to the 'named for' usage.

Archived