How honorable was Jon Arryn?

Sansa_Stark

Not too honorable, I feel. Letting Jaime keep his white cloak, arranging the marriage between Bob and Tywin's daughter - that was one hundred percent realpolitik. The Ned would have done neither.

When i was reading aCoK I noticed that when Varys takes Tyron to visit Shae they have this conversation:

Tyron: "How is it a brothel happens to have a secret entrance?"

Varys: "The tunnel was dug for another King's Hand, whose honor would not allow him to enter such a house openly. Chataya has closely guarded the knowledge of it."

At the time I thought he might be referring to Jon. Not sure how honorable it would be if it was Jon.

Not too honorable, I feel. Letting Jaime keep his white cloak, arranging the marriage between Bob and Tywin's daughter - that was one hundred percent realpolitik. The Ned would have done neither.

Jon seems very honourable and political savvy to boot. He seemed like he did his best with Lysa, raised Ned well and opposed the killing of Viserys and Dany.

Jon is a realist and knew what must be done. If Ned was in charge, he would have sent Jaime to the wall alienated Tywin, not done much to appease the Tyrells and sent Aegon into exile. Within a few years Viserys would return with an army and retake Westeros.

Who is Aegon and what did Jon do for the Tyrells? On the flip side, if Ned was in charge the Martells would be at peace because Ned would have killed Gregor and Armory and the Lannisters wouldn't have had all the power over the throne that they had in GoT. And of course there would be no LF. Fair trade.

Who is Aegon and what did Jon do for the Tyrells? On the flip side, if Ned was in charge the Martells would be at peace because Ned would have killed Gregor and Armory and the Lannisters wouldn't have had all the power over the throne that they had in GoT. And of course there would be no LF. Fair trade.

Aegon as in Rhaegar's son. Great he would have sent him into exile, but the entire South, including the two most powerful realms would be very anti-Robert and have a king to rally around. One of the failings the regime had was not appeasing the Tyrells. The Reach is the most powerful realm and you want them onside. Joffrey should have been offered to Margaery a long time ago.

I would think Jon was about as honorable as Ned, but maybe a tad more realistic. I think Jon Arryn would have realized that Elia's children would have need to have been dealt with if Robert's throne was to be secure. He might have not advocated outright murder, though.

He also didn't seem bad politically. He smoothed things over with Dorne, and were able to bring the Lannisters into the fold (I don't really blame him for the power they would end up having)

Aegon as in Rhaegar's son. Great he would have sent him into exile, but the entire South, including the two most powerful realms would be very anti-Robert and have a king to rally around.

what? Aegon was dead. the West wouldve had no choice but to support Robert in such a war and Dorne would have been appeased.
One of the failings the regime had was not appeasing the Tyrells. The Reach is the most powerful realm and you want them onside. Joffrey should have been offered to Margaery a long time ago.

what does that have to do with Jon vs Ned though?

Unfortunately, Ned was honourable to the point of stupidity and it resulted in his death. I think that Jon Arryn was still incredibly honourable, but he also used his wits and learned to play the game of thrones.

Although, clearly not as well as Cersei.

I would think Jon was about as honorable as Ned, but maybe a tad more realistic. I think Jon Arryn would have realized that Elia's children would have need to have been dealt with if Robert's throne was to be secure. He might have not advocated outright murder, though.

He also didn't seem bad politically. He smoothed things over with Dorne, and were able to bring the Lannisters into the fold (I don't really blame him for the power they would end up having)

:agree:

vengeance, justice, fire and blood? He shut Oberyn up but that's about it.

Oberyn who was calling for open rebellion against the new regime.

Dorne didn't declare war on the Seven Kingdoms during Jon's tenure as hand. Regions traded, the Dornish interacted as much as was expected of them. I'd say Jon did a decent job at subduing the Dornish.

what? Aegon was dead. the West wouldve had no choice but to support Robert in such a war and Dorne would have been appeased.

Was talking about if Ned had his way and got to King's Landing first. Even if Aegon was dead, Ned would anger the South and make it likes that the Tyrells/Lannisters would support Viserys.

what does that have to do with Jon vs Ned though?

This was in a reply to Ned would not bother to appease the Reach and create a power block in the South.

See, after the Sack there was no need whatsoever to bring the Lannisters into the fold. By murdering Elia, Aegon and Rhaenys, the lion cast his lot with the stag, and there was no going back from that.

In a hypothetical scenario when the Targaryens, say Viserys, try to retake the throne, Tywin would have no choice but to fight them tooth and nail, to the last soldier and the last golden nugget. Because if the Targaryens were restored, then House Lannister would be gone forever, "but now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear".

Archived