GOODKIND IV

Werthead

In this brief passage we see TGsinglehandedly taking on Buddism... and winning (of course).

Such a wise and knowing author to point out the obvious flaws in of the older and more venerated belief systems in our world.

Yes, TG apparently hates the peaceful teachings of buddism!

Oh, of course. That explains everything. How could I have missed it :P

But I still don't get how they can be an empire.

They were previously walled away from the rest of the world by magical bounderies, so maybe they didn't realize how much else was out there. In any case, they are an empire because they call themselves one.

WHAT??? you mean Goats aren't alive??? :o

They have a special nobility all their own, I guess.

IIRC (just don't take my word on it), it went like this: Lord Rahl can only have one child with the gift, all the rest are immune to magic, they don't even see it. Now, over the ages, there have been Rahls with multiple children, some killed them; others let them live. About 3000 years (or something) before Richard breaks his first jaw, someone figured that those immune to magic were an irritation, but he was such a kind man that he didn't wish to kill them -I get a vision from Santa Clause when I read my own description-. So he created a wall identical to that one in WFR, and gave them a place of their own, but without any possibility to escape -they were apparently not immune to the underworld. Because of their isolation they didn't have to worry about invasions, jadajadajada, they're hippies. However, because of something GoatLoverBoy did, their boundary was destroyed in one of those books -I thought it was book 3 or something. Anyway, those Immune were discovered by the dark lord of Commieland Emperor Jagang (or what'shisname), who uses them against Richyboy & co. So Richyboy needs to kill and/or convert them so that they are no longer any threat to him.

Oh yeah, and apart from this type of boundary, there was also one that seperated the Old World from the New World that Chickenhater tore down in book 2. And there are 10089 invisible walls in the Wizard's Keep. I'm sure there are more boundaries, if you read more of the series. It's goodkind's way to explain why the new threat didn't enter the story sooner. Because a boundary kept it closed.

I just think of another boundary, namely one that protected one of the states in the Midlands. Same story really, exept that they didn't turn into hippies, just into really pathetic soldiers, and had a corrupt system of government.

Oh yeah, and apart from this type of boundary, there was also one that seperated the Old World from the New World that Chickenhater tore down in book 2. And there are 10089 invisible walls in the Wizard's Keep. I'm sure there are more boundaries, if you read more of the series. It's goodkind's way to explain why the new threat didn't enter the story sooner. Because a boundary kept it closed.

I just think of another boundary, namely one that protected one of the states in the Midlands. Same story really, exept that they didn't turn into hippies, just into really pathetic soldiers, and had a corrupt system of government.

I'm pretty sure the boundary that walled off the old world and the boundary that walled off the bandakarans is the same boundary, so they both came down at the same time. As for the thing that protected the people in the midlands, I believe you are referring to the Dominie Dirtch, which was some kind of magic weapon that protected the people of Anderith. Richard destroyed that too.

I've learned more then I ever wanted to about Goodkind's books. It's like one giant tangle of nonsense, once you start trying to unravel it you only succeed in becoming entangled yourself. And there's no way out.

I'm pretty sure the boundary that walled off the old world and the boundary that walled off the bandakarans is the same boundary, so they both came down at the same time. As for the thing that protected the people in the midlands, I believe you are referring to the Dominie Dirtch, which was some kind of magic weapon that protected the people of Anderith. Richard destroyed that too.

Richard can't ever just leave well enough alone, can he?

Can someone explain to me how a magic barrier can affect people immune to magic?

It doesn't, it was meant to keep other people out, I think. The bandakarans stayed behind the barrier by choice. I could be wrong about this, but I can't bring myself to read any more Naked Empire in order to check.

Was there ever an explanation for why it was that the wall that separated Richard's land from the midlands was put up after Richard's birth (or at least after his conception) and yet no one in Richard's home town remembers a thing about the magical lands they had only relatively recently left? There seem to be some seriously entrenched cultural differences between the peoples on either side of that barrier, and not enough time for that to happen.

At the interruption, one of the speakers shot Richard a murderous glare.

From this and previous quotes, I note that these are some seriously aggressive pacifists...

"There are no valid reasons for fighting. War is never a solution. War is an admission of failure."

And yet I notice that these people don't seem to be pursuing any solutions of their own. They just sit there like lumps and let Richard take pot shots at them. Just like good little strawmen should.

Ok, now, why does the nobility of human spirit thing make Richard want to kick a kid in the jaw while for khalan, it makes her want to prevent the said child to be kicked in the jaw? I fail to see the logic, unless they were pulling a good cop/bad cop type of interview and everything they said was bullshit.

Wait, there are more magical boundaries? Or are these the same ones from WFR? Cause if not, how the hell many magical boundaries are there in this world?

Well, had they been allowed to roam around free they would have been a "Traveling People" who do not ascribe to violence. That wouldn't have made sense now would it?

Richard and Kahlan are in the Bandakaran Empire, which is full of pacifists, to get their help in fighting the Order. They are brought to the "Wise One" to plead their case.

There, sitting cross-legged on the pillow, was what appeared to be a boy in white robes, his hands resting prayerfully in his lap. He didn't look very old, maybe eight or ten at most. A black scarf was tied around his head to cover his eyes.

"He's just a boy," Richard said

At the interruption, one of the speakers shot Richard a murderous glare. <This one may not be so pacifistic. Or Terry is being inconsistent, you decide>

<cut by me>

Heads throughout the room bobbed knowingly.

Richard cast a sidelong glance at Kahlan. <good thing he didn’t give her a Look>

One of the speakers knelt before the platform and bowed his bald head. "Wise One, we must ask your knowing guidance. Some of our men wish to begin a war."

"War solves nothing," the Wise One said in a pious voice. <Bet you he’s read Asimov Foundation Trilogy>

"Perhaps you would like to hear his reasons."

"There are no valid reasons for fighting. War is never a solution. War is an admission of failure." <I’m sure he’s read the Foundation Trilogy now!>

The people in the room shrank back, looking ill at ease to have brought such crude inquiries "I hear anger in your voice," the Wise One said. "Nothing can be accomplished until you shed your hate. If you search with your heart, you can find the good in everyone." <The kid is in trouble he’s underestimating Richard’s hate, which is fully capable of cutting down 8 year olds that aren’t defending themselves>

"You already have on a blindfold. Why don't you plug your ears and hum a tune to yourself so you won't be thinking about anything"That Richard, he makes me laugh with his butter knife sharp wit

--Richard leaned in and lowered his voice dangerously--

"and in your state of infinite wisdom, Wise One, just try to guess what I'm about to do to you." <yep, Richard’s wrath is so fierce it can scare small children>

The boy squealed in fright and scooted back.

Kahlan pushed her way between Richard and Anson and sat back on the platform. She put an arm around the terrified boy and pulled him close to comfort him. He pressed himself into her sheltering protection.

"Richard, you're scaring the poor boy. Look at him. He's shaking like a leaf."

<Blah blah blah, value of life, yada yada yada>

"Man is thoe only creature who willingly submits to the fangs of a predator. <huh?>

Only man, through continual indoctrination such as you've been given, will reject the values that sustain life. <And the person that gives his live so other’s can live is…???>

Yet, you instinctively did the right thing in going to my wife."

"I did?"

"Yes. Your ways couldn't protect you, so you acted on the chance that she might. If I really were someone intent on harming you, she would have fought to stop me."

He looked up into Kahlan's smile. "You would?"

"Yes, I would. I, too, believe in the nobility of life."

<Told you he’s read the Foundation Trilogy! Get your enemies to fight each other! Asimov 1 Goodkind 0>

~Terry Goodkind, Naked Empire

Archived