AcroPhilia Game 2

Lady Blizzardborn

Hello and welcome to AcroPhilia's second test game! I'm your host, Lady Blizzardborn, and we're all going to have a lot of fun. For new players, and really all of us are new to this game right now, here's a rundown of how it will work.

Game Play:

You will be randomly assigned a character from ASOIAF.

I will use an online acronym generator to create two random acronyms per round (with Q, X, and Z excluded for sanity reasons). These acronyms will be posted in this thread and PM'd to you with your character assignments. You will use these acronyms to create a clue for your characters, in the spirit of Acrophobia. One player per round will be given two characters and may choose between them for their clue. This will be random. I may draw names out of a hat.

Clues must be PM'd to the host by the deadline to be included in the round. Exceptions/extensions can be made at the host's discretion. Please contact me via PM if you wish to have an extension granted.

The full list of clues will be posted in this thread. Players try to guess which characters each clue refers to, guess the theme, and also vote for a favorite clue. ALL of this is done by PM with the host! No guesses are to be posted in the thread. Vague discussion is allowed, though.

The theme guess will have a preliminary. That is, you can guess once before the round deadline and I will tell you whether you are completely correct, partially correct, or dead wrong.

At the end of the round, I will tally points and post the current standings. The round is then up for discussion, joking, attempts to bribe the host, or whatever else we'd like to talk about. Within 48 hours you will receive the new acronyms and your next character assignment.

This is a test game, based on previously discussed rule variations. Please see the Game 1 thread for more details. This game will be three rounds long.

Points System:

Character of another's clue correctly identified = 3 points.

Incorrect guesses, by others, of your clue = 1 point. This component has been removed for the host's safety.

Correct theme guess = 2 points.

Partially correct theme guess = 1 point.

Favorite clue points...a bit more complicated. See below.

Below

A minimum of three favorite clue votes are required before a clue will be awarded favorite clue points.

All clues receiving three or more votes of favorite clue are eligible.

The clue receiving the most votes getting an additional 2 3 points.

If there is a tie for favorite clue, the points will be split between the authors of said clues (1 2 points each).

If there is a three-or-more-way tie, each of the authors in the tie will receive 1 point.

If no clue garners three votes for favorite clue, no favorite clue points will be awarded for the round.

I must emphasize, in case anybody asks, that you do not get points for getting your own clue right. ;)

Things that are not allowed:

Using the proper names of the characters.

Anything the host deems objectionable.

Improper thread behavior, but honestly I don't expect to need this rule.

Things that will be allowed on a case-by-case basis:

Hyphenations that are non-standard in the English language (because that's the language I know).

Anything the host deems potentially objectionable to other players.

Questions regarding these rules and anything I missed can be discussed up until I post the list of Round 1 Clues.

Thank you, and good luck.

*takes off hosting hat* How'd I do?

Points System:

Character of another's clue correctly identified = 3 points.

Incorrect guesses, by others, of your clue = 1 point.

Correct theme guess = 2 points.

Partially correct theme guess = 1 point.

Favorite clue points...a bit more complicated. See below.

We get points for making clues that people get wrong?

We get points for making clues that people get wrong?

That was part of the first game, HH. I think the reasoning is that we don't want anyone making embarrassingly easy clues. But at the same time the bulk of one's points come from guessing everyone else's clues. It's a question of balance. I can see how this could be a downside though. It may not make it into the final format of the game. Like I said, this one is a little three-round test game.

That was part of the first game, HH. I think the reasoning is that we don't want anyone making embarrassingly easy clues. But at the same time the bulk of one's points come from guessing everyone else's clues. It's a question of balance. I can see how this could be a downside though. It may not make it into the final format of the game. Like I said, this one is a little three-round test game.

I think there may be problems if players don't want people to get their clue. I can see it being impossible. Before we knew what we were doing in the first round last time, one player gave me a clue that was intended to make people think of the wrong character. It vaguely fit the given character, but it fit someone else much better. If you're willing to screen every clue handed your way and tell players they can't use it because it doesn't point to the character in question, then it might turn out okay but that's a hell of a lot of work for you to do. I think the easy clue system is better but perhaps with added restrictions on making up words and using place names.

I honestly can't see it working if you don't get a reward for people getting your clue unless you're willing to be a very tough overlord! Are you willing to be a very tough overlord? I thought I might be able to but I couldn't.

I think there may be problems if players don't want people to get their clue. I can see it being impossible. Before we knew what we were doing in the first round last time, one player gave me a clue that was intended to make people think of the wrong character. It vaguely fit the given character, but it fit someone else much better. If you're willing to screen every clue handed your way and tell players they can't use it because it doesn't point to the character in question, then it might turn out okay but that's a hell of a lot of work for you to do. I think the easy clue system is better but perhaps with added restrictions on making up words and using place names.

I honestly can't see it working if you don't get a reward for people getting your clue unless you're willing to be a very tough overlord! Are you willing to be a very tough overlord? I thought I might be able to but I couldn't.

Since play hasn't really started (the guessing portion anyway) I could remove that part.

Normally I wouldn't mind being a tough overlord--could be fun! However, my energy level is not great right now, so I think I'll go back and remove the points for anyone getting it wrong. When you put it that way, DG, it's kind of hard to argue. Less work for the host = good. :D

Points System:

Incorrect guesses, by others, of your clue = 1 point. This component has been removed for the host's safety.

*takes off hosting hat* How'd I do?

:lol:

And you did great! Much clearer than my crazy introduction.

Just to check, you're going to try it without author points at all apart from the favourite clue points? A correct guess means nothing for the author? I'm fine with trying that, just triple-checking before choosing which clue to give you.

:lol:

And you did great! Much clearer than my crazy introduction.

Just to check, you're going to try it without author points at all apart from the favourite clue points? A correct guess means nothing for the author? I'm fine with trying that, just triple-checking before choosing which clue to give you.

Yes. You have the right of it!

I'm also allowing one additional player as I didn't give much time for sign-ups and we still have room, plus it's one of our old AcroPhile friends.

So sign-ups for this game have come and gone? I swear, I never saw them.

That was my fault, Emmit. I forgot to factor in weekend syndrome and allow extra time for the sign-ups. I've added you to the final slot. There's a PM waiting for you with a character assignment.

Making clues that are ungettable would be easy. Making gettable clues was surprisingly hard. Although getting points for making obscure clues would certainly help me this round, I'm struggling to make it easy.

*sniffle* I'll miss the author guessing, but I'm guessing I'm one of few.

It was a fun feature for me, but I realize not that many people were using it, and for the sake of the host's sanity, I definitely get not including it.

It may be reinstated in another test-round. You never know. From the player side, it took me so long to get the clues worked out (with varying success) that I rarely had the time or energy to guess the authors. Also I kind of sucked at it. :)

Agreed that you want this host to remain sane-ish. :whip:

15 hours and 34 minutes remaining to get your clues in.

For the new players: please do not send a theme guess at this point. You only know your own character so it would be hard to get the theme at this point in game play. Guess the theme after I have posted the clue list and you have had a chance to figure out who the clues refer to. I apologize for failing to mention this in the game rules.

Archived