Why Lyanna?

Brynden's Raven

Because she was hot and maybe her northern ancestry played a role the prophecy. But i bet that had Lyanna been more like Selyse, Rhaegar would've gone off with some Karstark or Ryswell(Bethany or Barbrey) or Umber.

For any fucking reason anyone can come up with, as long as it's not love. Because, as we have been taught in the ASOIAF fandom, romantic love is the lowest, most awful and innoble of motivations, ranking somewhere below greed, lust for power and sadism, and no respectful character can ever be motivated by it. Most importantly, if it were confirmed that Rhaegar was even a little bit motivated by love, so many people on this forum would have a fit and would possibly need hospitalization. ;)

I always thought that Howland Reed was the KotLT >.<

Didn't Meera mention in her story that the crannogman couldn't ride?

He wanted Stark blood for his prophecy, and she was the only one available. She might have loved him (who would not) but on his side it was to accomplish something greater than cheating on his wife with a little boyish girl.

He never loved his wife, and he may have liked "boyish girls" - just like Lyanna liked "girlish men" (aka sensitive, melancholy guys who sing sad songs, rather than "manly men" who only sing bawdy songs as they are drinking their buddies under the table).

She might have loved him (who would not)

Elia, apparently.

He wanted Stark blood for his prophecy, and she was the only one available. She might have loved him (who would not) but on his side it was to accomplish something greater than cheating on his wife with a little boyish girl.

actually he loved her. He whispered her name when he died on Trident and from Barristan's chapter we know prince Rhaegar loved his lady Lyanna and thousands died for it. I agree he was driven by the prophecy but I also believe he loved Lyanna

Just as the topic says - Why would Rhaegar choose Lyanna Stark, knowing there were other single women available and that Lyanna was already destined to marry Robert?

Love?

Something about her bloodline?

Something else?

Why not?

It wouldn't be the first time in the story of humanity that betrothed or married people just run away with some body else who reinforced their belief in the myth of "true love".

Even if that was a kidnapping instead of a romance, it wouldn't be the first time a king or heir of kingdom kidnaps a lady effectively abusing his own power.. ..so, once we agree that Rhaegar wanted her, the true question isn't "why?" but rather "why not?". He certainly didn't find an answer for that question, in fact he run away with Lyanna.

Didn't Ned even say he had a claim, but that Roberts was just stronger?

If Robert's claim (through his grandmother) was stronger then Eddard's claim would have to be more remote. In which case we are talking about a great-grandmother. If Eddard's mother was a Targaryen, Eddard's claim would be stronger than Robert's.

Just as the topic says - Why would Rhaegar choose Lyanna Stark, knowing there were other single women available and that Lyanna was already destined to marry Robert?

Love?

Something about her bloodline?

Something else?

he saw same qualities in her like visenya and when he found her that she was TKOLT. he wanted to name her third children a visenya.

If Robert's claim (through his grandmother) was stronger then Eddard's claim would have to be more remote. In which case we are talking about a great-grandmother. If Eddard's mother was a Targaryen, Eddard's claim would be stronger than Robert's.

Agreed. If Ned actually had a claim, which I don't think he did, it would have been way back. The next D&E book is going to be titled "The She-Wolves of Winterfell" as Dunk & Egg were heading north after their last adventure. Also, after Bran eats the wierwood paste he has a vision of a dark haired beauty (a Stark lady) kissing an extremely tall knight (Dunk) under the heart tree. Even though Dunk isn't Targ, there could be some sort of connection. As for why Lyanna, I think it was a combination of many of the things listed: her fierce spirit, beauty, and Stark blood.

Agreed. If Ned actually had a claim, which I don't think he did, it would have been way back. The next D&E book is going to be titled "The She-Wolves of Winterfell" as Dunk & Egg were heading north after their last adventure. Also, after Bran eats the wierwood paste he has a vision of a dark haired beauty (a Stark lady) kissing an extremely tall knight (Dunk) under the heart tree. Even though Dunk isn't Targ, there could be some sort of connection. As for why Lyanna, I think it was a combination of many of the things listed: her fierce spirit, beauty, and Stark blood.

That was almost certainly Young Nan.

No but he, as well as Brienne, are most probably Dunk's descendants. So, it makes sense that the girl kissing Dunk was Nan, the age seems to fit.

I'm not so sure as you. The She-Wolves, as GRRM has stated evolves around a group of Stark ladies who have became widowed and the struggles of succession (Lord of Winterfell) after.Therefore, it could be one of them cozying up to Dunk for love or gain. Do you think it is Old Nan because of Hodor's size?

I think Rhaegar was motivated by both love and prophecy, I don't see why it has to be either one or the other. In my opinion his feelings for Lyanna were already there, since Harrenhal, but prophecy gave him an excuse to act on them. And for someone who did abide by prophecy so much, he did change his mind on who it pertained to, and he probably would've known he wouldn't recreate Visenya/Aegon/Rhaenys exactly when already any child he had with another woman would only be a half-sibling to his Rhaenys and Aegon. So I think Rhaegar did try to work it so he could satisfy both prophecy and what his own heart wanted.

I think Rhaegar was motivated by both love and prophecy, I don't see why it has to be either one or the other. In my opinion his feelings for Lyanna were already there, since Harrenhal, but prophecy gave him an excuse to act on them. And for someone who did abide by prophecy so much, he did change his mind on who it pertained to, and he probably would've known he wouldn't recreate Visenya/Aegon/Rhaenys exactly when already any child he had with another woman would only be a half-sibling to his Rhaenys and Aegon. So I think Rhaegar did try to work it so he could satisfy both prophecy and what his own heart wanted.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

Archived