Do you think Stannis will achieve a Pyrrhic victory in the Battle of Ice?

I think he will achieve a large victory.

The Freys will enter the field, and be relieved to see men flying Karstark colors positions behind the Stag's men. They will charge and many will drown when the ice breaks. After that, the Frey men will be stuck in a bottleneck, assualting Stannis where he has a superior defensive concave (this negates any numbers advantage that the Frey's might have), at which point the the Frey's will notice that the Karstark men are not attacking the men of Stannis.

Then the Manderley men will show up and bugger the Frey's in the rear. This will have greater consequences, as the Nothern houses are by no means loyal to Bolton. The vistory itself would simply bloody House Bolton, the slaughter would be the reveal to the North that Rickon is still alive and that Roose tried to take the seat of the North by passing on one of Sansa's servants as Arya. Every house that aligns itself to the Bolton cause would fall out in very short order.

Don't forget that Stannis has at least three, maybe five times the Freys numbers.

How much does frey have? 1000~1500.

Ya I am pretty sure they crossed Moat Cailin with 1500 men, the only thing is they a few hundred heavy horse where as Stannis has practically none at this point. It is also difficult to know just how many men Stannis has lost on his march/ stopping at the village but at one time he had 4500+.

How much does frey have? 1000~1500.

Roughly. Compared to Stannis at least 5,000 men...

Ya I am pretty sure they crossed Moat Cailin with 1500 men, the only thing is they a few hundred heavy horse where as Stannis has practically none at this point. It is also difficult to know just how many men Stannis has lost on his march/ stopping at the village but at one time he had 4500+.

Oh, that we know. Seventy-eight if I remember correctly. All of them Southerners. And almost all of the southern horses.

The 4,000+ Northmen lost a single mule, which was assumed to be stolen by a rival clan :cool4:

Roughly. Compared to Stannis at least 5,000 men...

Oh, that we know. Seventy-eight if I remember correctly. All of them Southerners. And almost all of the southern horses.

The 4,000+ Northmen lost a single mule, which was assumed to be stolen by a rival clan :cool4:

Wasn't that before stopping at the village? I believe the cold count in 1 day reached 80 while they were at the village.

Stannis > Bolton by far as a commander. He'll fuck the Boltons up badly.

He is by every means a way better commander than Bolton, but he is in a unknown territory, and bolton knows the lands very well. Though i don't expect Bolton to win, i expect bolton to survive and retreat back to dreadfort.

He is by every means a way better commander than Bolton, but he is in a unknown territory, and bolton knows the lands very well. Though i don't expect Bolton to win, i expect bolton to survive and retreat back to dreadfort.

I think this is possible.

Roose pretty much loses the rest of the Northern houses and has to flee from Winterfell. He retreats to the Dreadfort with Stannis and the Northmen on his heels only to find Manderly's Navy sieging the place, possibly with the Hand and the Stark boy in tow.

Stannis has that ice breaking plan to sink the Freys remember? Plus he's a really versatile commander (land, sea or ice), Bolton is more of a treacherous politician than a commander and IMO while not getting as bad weather, has 10x bigger problems in the form of treachery from the Northern lords who will take any chance to take him down.

Stannis has that ice breaking plan to sink the Freys remember? Plus he's a really versatile commander (land, sea or ice), Bolton is more of a treacherous politician than a commander and IMO while not getting as bad weather, has 10x bigger problems in the form of treachery from the Northern lords who will take any chance to take him down.

I was actually talking about Battle of WF in that post and its aftermath on the survivor Roose Bolton. I do know that Stannis is top-tier commander. Roose Bolton has many problems but getting back to dreadfort ain't one.

I was actually talking about Battle of WF in that post and its aftermath on the survivor Roose Bolton. I do know that Stannis is top-tier commander. Roose Bolton has many problems but getting back to dreadfort ain't one.

Roose doesn't need to be taken at WF for Stannis to have won. Just taking WF will be victory for Stannis Baratheon. Then he can use his replenished forces, both increased in number and fed by the huge amounts of food Manderly brought to WF, to take the Dreadfort....

Take the Dreadfort. Yeah. Sounds good.

Roose doesn't need to be taken at WF for Stannis to have won. Just taking WF will be victory for Stannis Baratheon. Then he can use his replenished forces, both increased in number and fed by the huge amounts of food Manderly brought to WF, to take the Dreadfort....

Take the Dreadfort. Yeah. Sounds good.

There is no need to use your resources and soldiers on taking a place which is secluded and also has low strategic importance as it does not block any important paths.

What is more important, fighting roose bolton inside his house and wasting your soldiers or preparing an army to withstand the invasion from Others.

I just cannot tell whether Stannis will continue through the North and go into the Riverlands, or go back to the Wall. While the Others are a threat he recognizes, is at this stage turning back and walking through the storm back to the Wall feasible?

I just cannot tell whether Stannis will continue through the North and go into the Riverlands, or go back to the Wall. While the Others are a threat he recognizes, is at this stage turning back and walking through the storm back to the Wall feasible?

Well if you click at Battle of Blackwater 2.0 in my signature, it will show my hypothesis that Stannis could go Kingslanding directly. I am also conflicted like you, not entirely sure of Stannis's next move.

Well if you click at Battle of Blackwater 2.0 in my signature, it will show my hypothesis that Stannis could go Kingslanding directly. I am also conflicted like you, not entirely sure of Stannis's next move.

I'm re-listening ADWD at the moment, and just passed some Jon chapter's where he's meeting with Selyse. She keeps on saying that Stannis will return to the Wall after he wins his battles. Yes, she might not be our most reliable source, but I wouldn't be surprised if he were to return to CB. Or what's left of it, gods only know what's happened there while Stan was kicking Bolton arse.

I'm re-listening ADWD at the moment, and just passed some Jon chapter's where he's meeting with Selyse. She keeps on saying that Stannis will return to the Wall after he wins his battles. Yes, she might not be our most reliable source, but I wouldn't be surprised if he were to return to CB. Or what's left of it, gods only know what's happened there while Stan was kicking Bolton arse.

Could you please name the chapter. I had forgotten about Selyse. :laugh:

Archived