Best Player of The Game of Thrones?

IcedEmpyre

Illyrio Mopat.

Here is what you need to know.

• His first job was that of a sell sword. Think about how many sellswords we've seen. Most end up dead.

He is now RICH, RICH, RICH. Seriously, the guy seems to have more money than some Lord Paramounts.

Littlefinger is probably rich, but still lacks an army. Mopat just went out and bought one of the best armies in the known world.

Now, undoubtedly some of his accomplishments are linked to Varys, yet this was a friendship he cultivated.

He is about to overthrow the King of Westeros... while having no known support in Westeros besides Varys, whose only value is his network of spies.

And here is the real kicker, he is going to replace that king with his own chosen pawn.

If he fails? He will be forced to live the rest of his days in gluttony and luxury.

:agree:

You sir nailed it

Varys, Littlefinger, Tywin, Tyrion, Doran, Roose, Wyman, Euron are all popular choices, but i would like to add another: Arya, survivor of a war slowly becoming a magical assassin at 11.

Varys, Littlefinger, Tywin, Tyrion, Doran, Roose, Wyman, Euron are all popular choices, but i would like to add another: Arya, survivor of a war slowly becoming a magical assassin at 11.

But Arya, awesome as she is, isn't a player in the Game of Thrones

But Arya, awesome as she is, isn't a player in the Game of Thrones

Neither is Sansa, but that doesn't stop people from noticing the potential. But, yes, you may be right, she hasn't made any serious moves yet.

So I may come across as stupid but when we say 'The Game of Thrones' are we strictly speaking about winning the IT? If not.... if we are talking political players I would actually say Roose ranks really high.

But Roose seems to have made a lot of enemies in the process, which might be his downfall.

Neither is Sansa, but that doesn't stop people from noticing the potential. But, yes, you may be right, she hasn't made any serious moves yet.

I like Sansa, but i don't really see her potential as a player. She's getting less naïve and may become a better liar. But i think she is far removed from being a player. I can see Sansa or Arya affecting the Game by removing a player, but i don't believe they'll be players themselves.

Illyrio Mopat.

Here is what you need to know.

• His first job was that of a sell sword. Think about how many sellswords we've seen. Most end up dead.

He is now RICH, RICH, RICH. Seriously, the guy seems to have more money than some Lord Paramounts.

Littlefinger is probably rich, but still lacks an army. Mopat just went out and bought one of the best armies in the known world.

Now, undoubtedly some of his accomplishments are linked to Varys, yet this was a friendship he cultivated.

He is about to overthrow the King of Westeros... while having no known support in Westeros besides Varys, whose only value is his network of spies.

And here is the real kicker, he is going to replace that king with his own chosen pawn.

If he fails? He will be forced to live the rest of his days in gluttony and luxury.

Yeah, I think we got a winner here.

I don't think we ever really saw where Varys lived. I think his rooms in the Red Keep are just another set of mummers costume. He obviously wanted it for it's entrance to the hidden passages but, I don't think he actually slept there. I imagine he too , is living fat and happy in some walled manse.

LF/Varys

Tywin

Olenna

Illyrio (I suspect he's being played by Varys: I don't know why, its just a suspicion)

The rest (Roose being probably the best of the rest but he doesn't give a fig about legacy so his parameters are limited)

Then Cersei

I suspect they are playing each other.

But Roose seems to have made a lot of enemies in the process, which might be his downfall.

Yes, but out of all of them, only Alys Karstark might turn to be his downfall. And that's something that sort of came out of the blue. He could hardly count on the Karstarks letting her escape, thus exposing the Karstark's betrayal to Jon Snow.

I think his other downfall is Ramsay. Had Domeric lived, or Ramsay be normal, maybe Jon could have accepted Arya's marriage. In turn that could have meant no Mance to rescue her (there would be no need if her husband was a reasonable guy), no sobbing at Winterfell upsetting the Northern Lords and, maybe, less support of Stannis from Jon. If that meant the Karstark's betrayal goes unnoticed, Roose would have won.

And honestly, even with the Karstark betrayal exposed, Roose has a decent shot at defeating Stannis. His only other issue is Rickon, and he could have hardly counted on Wex escaping and spilling the beans to Manderly.

Yes, but out of all of them, only Alys Karstark might turn to be his downfall. And that's something that sort of came out of the blue. He could hardly count on the Karstarks letting her escape, thus exposing the Karstark's betrayal to Jon Snow.

I think his other downfall is Ramsay. Had Domeric lived, or Ramsay be normal, maybe Jon could have accepted Arya's marriage. In turn that could have meant no Mance to rescue her (there would be no need if her husband was a reasonable guy), no sobbing at Winterfell upsetting the Northern Lords and, maybe, less support of Stannis from Jon. If that meant the Karstark's betrayal goes unnoticed, Roose would have won.

And honestly, even with the Karstark betrayal exposed, Roose has a decent shot at defeating Stannis. His only other issue is Rickon, and he could have hardly counted on Wex escaping and spilling the beans to Manderly.

True, but even if he defeates Stannis, i don't see him holding the North. The man is supporting the people that killed Ned Stark, is married to a Frey and brings long a lot of Frey troups. The Northerners remember the Red Wedding, and even if they do not known Roose's exact involvement i, they will at least be suspicious about how friendly he is with the Freys. Most Northern families are keeping their heads down, because there a family members held hostage at the Twins. If Roose would win against Stannis, at some point these families will want him to get the hostages back home. Manderly's heir has already returned, When the hostages return, the other houses can work against Roose, just like Manderly is doing. And some houses and the mountain clans are already siding against Roose. If he doesn't get the hostages back, the other houses will get more discontent. His support in the North is very weak.

And then there is Ramsay, what he did to Lady Hornwood, the mistreatment of fArya, his amusements.... Marrying Jeyne to Ramsay will only have done damage to Bolton's support, while it was supposed to give him a stronger position. People will either think she's real and see that "Ned's girl" is mistreated or know she's fake and know they are fooled. Either way, Bolton looses support. Even without Jon, Stannis or Mance around, i don't see how Roose is going to last in the long run.

Archived