What are the chances that there will be an anti-climax

redguy1

Nearing the end of Dream of Spring. Westeros is in shambles, and the survivors are standing ground for the final battle against the Others

Hope is bleak, many have died ...

Turn page to last chapter

Azor Ahai Reborn

It's from Rhaegar's perspective on the Trident

The END

I was thinking of Rheagar as a middle-aged man, and his little brother Viserys went to the Iron Bank of Bravos to deposit 8,000 Dragons. Viserys inadvertently gave the 8,000 Dragons to Rhaegar's arch-rival, Robert Baratheon, while gloating over young Prince Aegon's latest heroic exploit. Due to the missing 8,000 Dragons, the auditors in Kings Landing are going to have Rhaegar arrested for fraud and declare the kingdom bankrupt. This leads to a climactic confrontation between Rheagar and Viserys, in which Rheagar shakes Viserys by the lapels and shouts, "Where's that money, you silly stupid old fool? Where's that money? Do you realize what this means? It means bankruptcy and scandal and prison! That's what it means! One of us is going to jail; well, it's not gonna be me!"

The prospect of bankruptcy and scandals and prison drives Rhaegar to contemplate suicide from atop the walls above the King's Gate, wishing he'd died at the the Trident. At the very moment that he was going to jump, Rhaegar's guardian angel appears to show him what Westeros would be like if he'd have died at the Trident -- which turns out to be the story as told in A Song of Fire and Ice.

In the end, Rhaegar decides to live, his friends make up the lost funds and throw him a party, he gets a book signed by his guardian angel, and he learns the true meaning of Christmas.

Sure, it's been done before, but I'm a sucker for life-affirming stories.

I was thinking of Rheagar as a middle-aged man, and his little brother Viserys went to the Iron Bank of Bravos to deposit 8,000 Dragons. Viserys inadvertently gave the 8,000 Dragons to Rhaegar's arch-rival, Robert Baratheon, while gloating over young Prince Aegon's latest heroic exploit. The auditors in Kings Landing are going to have Rhaegar arrested for fraud and declare the kingdom bankrupt. This leads to a climatic confrontation between Rheagar and Viserys, in which Rheagar shakes Viserys by the lapels and shouts, "Where's that money, you silly stupid old fool? Where's that money? Do you realize what this means? It means bankruptcy and scandal and prison! That's what it means! One of us is going to jail; well, it's not gonna be me!"

The prospect of bankruptcy and scandals and prison drives Rhaegar to contemplate suicide from atop the walls above the King's Gate, wishing he'd died at the the Trident. At the very moment that he was going to jump, Rhaegar's guardian angel appears to show him what Westeros would be like if he'd have died at the Trident -- which turns out to be the story as told in A Song of Fire and Ice.

In the end, Rhaegar decides to live, his friends make up the lost funds and throw him a party, he gets a book signed by his guardian angel, and he learns the true meaning of Christmas.

Sure, it's been done before, but I'm a sucker for life-affirming stories.

OMG.

A jest is not a threat! Loosen your corset Cersei.....!

This is my new insult!

IMO GRRM will give his readers the best ending he possibly can. That doesn't mean happy or 100% resolved, but tying up key threads in mostly satisfying (i.e., plausible and emotionally appropriate) ways, even if those satisfactions are bittersweet. We will know what happend with the kingship, the Others, the dragons, the lead families and other important characters, some Essos story lines, etc.

An anti-climax is nonetheless likely for several reasons, though GRRM may not be at fault. After 20+ years of reading these books and growing old(er) during the waits, the fact that it will finally be over will cause displacement and disorientation for many readers, much less fans. In terms of the story, some resolutions or unsoved mysteries will disappoint some readers. Worse, since many readers, especially fans like us, have speculated at great length and detail, in some cases they will feel that they had a better ending/resolution than GRRM did. And indeed, brilliant as he is, in some instances GRRM may come up with weak or easy or cliche resolutions. So as much as I long to see the series end, I also dread it.

I pretty much agree with the above.

I'm sure there will be 'unsolved mysteries' since the readers, especially those active or who participate online, are known to nitpick and analyze more than the average reader. To answer the OP, I definitely think it will be anti-climactic. We're talking about GRRM here. If you put an "i" in GRRM, you get "grim"... which is what I think the end of the series will look like. But I will be glad to see some happy resolutions for some characters, and I think some of them at least will get that.

Chances I'm giving this series of having an ending that disappoints someone: 100%

Well put!

I'm especially intrigued by the completely incompatible eagerness some people have for a bitter, tragic ending, and the alternative hope others have that all of this misery will lead to something better.

Most people I ask are hoping for something bittersweet, but to varying degrees. Some people also hope Dany will be eaten by a dragon within the first ten pages of TWOW while others hope she'll be seated on the Iron Throne.

I have faith in George R.R. Martin's writing to provide us with an incredible, though bittersweet, ending that he's always planned. He doesn't want the ending to piss people off; he's mentioned several times that he doesn't want to finish it shitty like LOST did.

If anything, the only anti-climax we'll see for the remainder of the story is likely whatever happens in Essos ;)

If anything, the only anti-climax we'll see for the remainder of the story is likely whatever happens in Essos ;)

Dany opens a book she happens to find in the grass and learns that dragons will grow in size almost immediately if fed humans. This is why Drogon is so huge. She rides Drogon back to Mereen and he eats lots of Ironborn. She discovers Viserion and Rhaegal are also enormous and they've eaten all the Ironborn. Only Victarion isn't dead, so Dany personally eats him.

Then they leave Essos and never return for any reason ever. And also Mereen blows up.

Dany opens a book she happens to find in the grass and learns that dragons will grow in size almost immediately if fed humans. This is why Drogon is so huge. She rides Drogon back to Mereen and he eats lots of Ironborn. She discovers Viserion and Rhaegal are also enormous and they've eaten all the Ironborn. Only Victarion isn't dead, so Dany personally eats him.

Then they leave Essos and never return for any reason ever. And also Mereen blows up.

:rofl: :bowdown:

Yeah, this is pretty much the best ending that I know of.

Tell me you are secretly GRRM and are giving us a sneak peek because this is bomb.

Archived