Dragons in Asshai

Muggle

If the "and for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons", the last line of GoT, proves to be a lie, then GRRM will have fucked up in my opinion.

And with that I'm done with this argument, the line is clearly meant to be from a narration that is not simply a narration that Dany's beliefs are projected upon or else she would have just thought it, anyone arguing otherwise, please, read thru asoiaf and pay attention to how GRRM writes it.

T'ain't so clear to me but that's ok.

Philosophy and sound! I'll be interested to hear yolkboy's answer ;)

I'm going to go ahead and offer my opinion, since it's one of my favourite debates. The way your question is phrased, I would say no. It would create sound waves, but I believe the definition of "sound" is the perception of those waves by the human brain, which only occurs when there is a human around to perceive them.

Let's not even get into the fact that the tree may not even exist without a person there to observe it.

Yes, soundwaves are a physical force (pressure oscillating) and have potential to be sound - a potential which is only realized when perceived. Otherwise they are just oscillations in the air. What you've said is my stance, although instead of 'human' I would amend that to any sentient being.

As a former student of both philosophy and sound, I expect to be completely wrong. :rolleyes:

Eta- Btw LM, about your earlier query about the Arya passage. Your suggestion is actually the best way it could have been written if it was meant to be Arya's POV. The way it is written is not only technically unknowable (even though she had looked back, she was facing front when the blow fell) but also a thought she could not have had since she presumably became unconscious when the blow fell. Ergo, omniscient narrator takes over.

You've expressed what i was trying to say far better than I could. You can translate my stumblings from now on. ;)

Yes, soundwaves are a physical force (pressure oscillating) and have potential to be sound - a potential which is only realized when perceived. Otherwise they are just oscillations in the air. What you've said is my stance, although instead of 'human' I would amend that to any sentient being.

Point taken ;)

You've expressed what i was trying to say far better than I could. You can translate my stumblings from now on. ;)

Lol

I think Dany would have noticed the mismatched eyes. Theory has no basis IMO.

There is actually a bit of a clue, "wet and shiny", wet=sea, and shiny=star

The depth of the mask or the distance Quaithe was standing may have affected Dany seeing the eye colour, there are a lot of explanations on why she may not have seen it, and the fact GRRM made the description vague means there is something to it.

I just think the eye description shouldn't write off Quaithe of being Shiera.

Archived