Guessing Bran's Arc- A Hunt for Heart Trees

jentario

This is an amazingly useful thread. Thanx to all who contributed, and especially to the OP for initiating it!

I'm never really sure if blood sacrifice is needed to "activate" a heart tree, based mostly on Bran's horrified response to the sacrifice he witnessed in the Winterfell heart tree when it was a sapling. I do agree that it's possible that the horror he felt may not have been his own, but rather the memory lingering in the tree. To me it seems likely that the First Men brought over their blood magic ways from Essos, and somehow never quite kicked the habit, especially in Skagos (or Whitetree).

However, if it is true that blood is needed for heart tree growth/activation, this might be confirmed in ADoS if we see a sapling sprouting up in the godswood at the Eyrie, at the spot where Bronn killed Ser Vardis. Or if we start to see weirwood saplings sprouting in battlefields across Westeros in the spring. To me this would indicate a renewal of balance in the magic of Terros.

I think that's not going to happen in the Eyrie. There were a lot of weirwoods, but if all that was needed was to kill some people the whole continent would have been covered by them. There probably needs to be some intent involved, i.e. one must set out to make the sacrifice in order to open the weirwood, not just randomly kill someone.

I agree with this. I don't see GRRM twisting the plot by influencing the past. Although, yes, he did whisper 'Father' to Ned. And we have seen Bran look at the edge of the world, up North. (Can't wait until GRRM elaborates on THAT!)

I think bran is potentially an 'uber-seer'. BR has been interested in him since he was born. I think Bran will somehow influence something major, plotwise, rather than just be a window to information for the reader. With no plot evidence at all, I feel he will eclipse BR in power and/or ability. Lately I've been thinking that Bran will assist/influence someone or thing, trying to do what he sees as a good/helpful action, but ultimately it has a negative consequence. For no other reason but that GRRM likes to twist things up. Or is that the cynic in me coming out a little early this morning?

Yup!!! my theory: the tourney at Harrenhall!!!

• 4 months later...

Bran's arc in tWoW:

1) chilling in the cave. Learning the way of the Greenseers and with flashbacks that show us both current events and things that happened in the past (mainly Harrenhal and WF centric imo. And probably some more intell on BR life as well).

2) An attack by the Others on the cave. They manage to break through the magical defenses.

3) Meera, Jojen, Hodor and Summer enter the Greenseer room. They pull Bran of his seat and prepare themselves to flee.

4) When they leave Jojen stays behind and places himself on Bran's Weirwood Throne. Touching goodbye's with both Jojen and BR are exchanged.

5) Bran, Hodor, Meera and Summer flee further underground. The WW massacre Jojen and BR and think they have neutralized the danger of the Greenseers.

6) Bran & Company find an exit and there they stumble on Coldhands. He takes them further away and we get more info about his time as the NK.

7) The Others now in complete control of the cave and with the CotF and the last greenseers dead prepare to enter Gorne's way and use it to bypass the Wall and get on the other side.

End of their arc in tWoW.

[One thing they might still do is help with Jon's resurection. But since we can't really know for sure when that happens, I have left it out]

I really like this theory and it makes for an interesting twist for the WFD. This is probably my favorite ASOIAF end of series theory, just because I think it keeps with GRRM's style. But I'd like for yours to happen because it reunites Bran with Jon. (^_*).

• 2 weeks later...

I just came across this little passage in which Tytos Blackwood and Jaime Lannister discuss the return of the remains of Lucas Blackwood who died in the red wedding:

“Once. Robert was my youngest and never strong. He died nine days ago, of a looseness of the bowels. Lucas was murdered at the Red Wedding. Walder Frey’s fourth wife was a Blackwood, but kinship counts for no more than guest right at the Twins. I should like to bury Lucas beneath the tree, but the Freys have not yet seen fit to return his bones to me.”

“I’ll see that they do. Was Lucas your eldest son?”

If Lucas' remains are buried beneath the Blackwood's weirwood this could provide a conduit through which Bran could witness the Red Wedding. While we don't know if the weirwood at Raventree Hall is linked into the wierwood network nor do we know the specifics about how the trees absorb the knowledge of those who bleed/die around them it is at least possible for Bran to see through Lucas' eyes and witness what happened in the Twins.

Archived