Guessing Bran's Arc- A Hunt for Heart Trees

jentario

We have the Hollow Hill which appears to be the HQ of the BwB i believe? I'm doing a reread of Storm atm and will get to Arya's chapter there soon so i need to check this. But of there are Weirwoods there, it may be that Bran is able to see his mother and reach out to her (or try). This is all in keeping with my.new belief that rather than the Old God religion being about human sacrafice, it is JUsTICE that brings prisoners before.the heart tree; and ancient custom where those judged guilty were brought before the hearttree so that the CoTF (who are part of the tree now) can determine whether the prisoner is really guilty and intervene if they arent. Hence why I believe

Theon wont be beheaded before the heart tree as he is not.guilty of the crime he is accused of

and Rickard Karstark was allowed to die quickly and cleanly when Robb beheaded him. Its also why i feel Brienne and Jamie wont die. The old gods (Bran) will see what his mother has become.and stop her (or at least try)

Hmm. A few days ago I was pondering about Bran's first weirnet experiences in another thread, particularly that execution with a bronze sickle that ends the vision. Bran is screaming in the end as if he was somehow terribly shocked by it all. It's sort of weird, since he's seen an execution before and didn't react very strongly. I tried to think if the man who got his throat slit was one of the people from the Stark crypts, like one of Brandon's namesakes and that's why he reacted so strongly. But could it be that Bran was so in tune with the weirwood net that he knew at that moment that the guy was not guilty? Ned did teach his children that no man can lie in front of a heart tree, so you might be onto something.

The Eyrie – The Exception (but worth noting, IMO):

“Lysa’s apartments opened over a small garden, a circle of dirt and grass planted with blue flowers and ringed on all sides by tall white towers. The builders had intended it as a godswood, but the Eyrie rested on the hard stone of the mountain, and no matter how much soil was hauled up from the Vale, they could not get a weirwood to take root here. So the Lords of the Eyrie planted grass and scattered statuary amidst low, flowering shrubs.”

“The Eyrie boasted a sept, but no septon; a godswood, but no heart tree. No prayers are answered here, she often thought, though some days she felt so lonely she had to try. Only the wind answered her, sighing endlessly around the seven slim white towers and rattling the Moon Door every time it gusted.” (AFFC)

That's interesting because the Moon Door is made of weirwood. If the weirwood web still works on dead trees then Bran could use the Moon Door and the doors at the House of Black and White to see his sisters.

Wasn't the bed Jamie slept in perhaps Darry was weirwood, when he dreamt of Joanna?

If Bran gets to see stuff through beds made of weirwood, it's like giving a kid access to adult channels. I sure hope BR has some kind of security code to block off x-rated stuff... :O

I don't think their vision is in any way limited by the trees, Bloodraven shows Bran his mother sitting in a cabin on a boat out at sea, and if you follow through to the very next chapter you realize that Bran was seeing exactly what was happening. I think the Weirwoods allow greenseers to reach out to other forms of life as well, like birds, or direwolves, hence the comment about seeing well beyond the trees from Bloodraven.

Wasn't the bed Jamie slept in perhaps Darry was weirwood, when he dreamt of Joanna?

iirc he dreams of his mum when he sleeps with his head resting on a weirwood stump.

Bran had only four chapters in ASOS and a bare three in ADWD so I imagine that we will get very few Bran chapters because potentially he could have access to too much information. Although on the otherhand since he is still a child and probably hasn't been reading ASOIAF it could be that he sees things that he doesn't understand or whose significance is unclear to him but that we can piece together.

If speculation about L+R plighting their troth before a weirwood is correct then having Bran see that over the weirnet would be one thing that GRRM could do.

Something else that he very well might do is make contact with his siblings since we know that he reached out to Jon in ACOK.

Important to Bran’s story arc AND the series… hmmm … that’s a big question. Considering that BR has told him that one day he will be able to see further than the trees, I take that to mean that Bran’s potential for ‘big reveals’ is unlimited. So pick your favourite theory and trace it back to a weirwood! :cool4:

Winterfell: The Winterfell heart tree has the potential to reveal so much Stark history.

• Benjen Stark. There are theories around that he was complicit in Lyanna’s ‘kidnapping’, blamed himself for her subsequent death and then took the black. This might reveal R+L=J if he chatted about it to someone in front of the Heart tree.
  • Bran the Builder. I can’t help thinking that further info about him will lead to secrets about The Wall AND what’s in the Winterfell crypts. Surely there is something significant down there! But my current pet theory is that BtB is the greenseer attached to the Black Gate in the Wall. (Did it release a tear because it was happy or sad that Bran went through heading North?)
  • Old Nan. He may see something of importance about her, considering she was resident at Winterfell for a long time and had a position close to the family. Some people think she was the slender maid who kissed the tall man in Bran’s vision. I think there is more to come from Old Nan – she herself is a good plot device for historical information. Currently, some people theorise that she is captive with other Winterfellians at the Dreadfort. Being a Northern seat, I’m assuming it has a godswood/heart tree.

Kings Landing

Sansa. She meets Dontos in the KL Godswood. There is no weirwood in that GW, but he may still see that she escapes.

Oldtown

Bran may have an opportunity to contact, influence or ‘listen in’ to Sam in some way.

The Isle of Faces

I wonder what the Green Men might be able to reveal.

Greywater Watch

Howland Reed. If all the hype that the mystery about him has engendered is true, then possibly he will be able to reveal all sorts of tidbits. Sadly, no mention of weirwoods there, but he sent Jojen and Meera to Bran. Was that solely thanks to Jojen convincing Howland to let them go to Winterfell after Jojen had a greendream? Or is Howland plugged into the weirnet?

High Heart

Intrigues me, as does the woods witch who wanted Jenny’s song and called Arya ‘wolf child, blood child’. She’s very old – she was companion to Jenny, who was married to Duncan the Small (Egg’s son) and they both presumably perished at Summerhall. This might reveal information about what happened there and maybe any leftover dragon eggs.

North of the Wall

He has already glimpsed what’s way, WAY North, so he could eavesdrop on the Others.

All these are drawing a long bow, I know. But they are just random, wishful thoughts. I’ve strayed a bit from the ‘Bran’s story arc’ part of your question. Probably because I don’t have a clear theory about where he will end up. I’d like him to end up back in Winterfell. He has the potential to see what happened to all of his siblings – any of their stories might motivate him to move or act.

I don't think their vision is in any way limited by the trees, Bloodraven shows Bran his mother sitting in a cabin on a boat out at sea, and if you follow through to the very next chapter you realize that Bran was seeing exactly what was happening. I think the Weirwoods allow greenseers to reach out to other forms of life as well, like birds, or direwolves, hence the comment about seeing well beyond the trees from Bloodraven.

Yes. He's already warged into a raven as part of his training by BR. A bit more practice and I'd like him to warg into Nymeria and lead her pack to The Twins...

Snip

All these are drawing a long bow, I know. But they are just random, wishful thoughts. Ive strayed a bit from the Brans story arc part of your question. Probably because I dont have a clear theory about where he will end up. Id like him to end up back in Winterfell. He has the potential to see what happened to all of his siblings any of their stories might motivate him to move or act.

Interesting thoughts all around. Especially the part about the Black Gate being a greenseer. I haven't seen that before.

As for Bran's arc, I like to think he will play an instrumental role in the war against the Others, and I think he'll return to Winterfell at some point. Hopefully he'll become the new Lord of Winterfell at the end of the series.

Yes. He's already warged into a raven as part of his training by BR. A bit more practice and I'd like him to warg into Nymeria and lead her pack to The Twins...

Perhaps he can then warg the wolf pack to build and operate the siege engines necessary to capture it too? ;)

I'm not sure that Bran is quite that savage...

Interesting. So far we haven't seen any "cross-warging", have we? I mean someone taking over another skinchanger's animal while the other skinchanger is still alive (so Orell's eagle doesn't count since he was dead already). I'd feel more comfortable saying that Bran might attemp to influence Arya into opening her third eye properly, so she can wreak remote-controlled havoc in Westeros.

Archived