January Reads - Into 2014 and beyond!

KingGendry

I just can't seem to finish The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. It seems to be doubling in length each time I get to the halfway point of what's left. The story is so ridiculous - the new leaders are all so noble and pure and everything is going perfectly according to plan, beating the long odds every time with the guidance of their sentient computer. They haven't had to deal with betrayal, corruption, they aren't even tempted by corruption, any serious threats of counter-movements, and on a more personal level they don't have any problems with sexual jealousy or competition, misunderstandings, or disagreements. It makes everything very bland.

I finished The Thorn Birds just in time to make it a January read. It was beautiful and thought-provoking, although not entirely unflawed. The ending sections dealing with Justine were not nearly as compelling as the beginning--shifting focus off Meggie so quickly and thoroughly was disconcerting. Overall, I thought it was excellent.

Not starting anything new until after my book club meeting on Tuesday for this one because I want it to be fresh in my mind.

Archived