January Reads - Into 2014 and beyond!

KingGendry

The other two books are much smaller in scope and tighter in focus. The first one focuses on male characters and is set in Afghanistan during the Cold War-era and features 1 POV. The second one has the same setting and time period but focuses instead on female characters [and sadly due to that is much more brutal and harrowing], featuring 2 POVs.

Finished Red Country by Joe Abercrombie and Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian.

It's strange, as Master and Commander is one of my favourite books, but I still wouldn't give it 5 stars. It's simply an overwhelming start to the series, as the nautical jargon is off-the-charts and takes time to learn. The next few are also great, and I would probably rate them higher than the first.

I liked Red Country a lot more than The Heroes, which I had a hard time with. Thought this one was great. Very well done. But I'm a sucker for Westerns.

Now I'm onto Post Captain by Patrick O'Brian.

I finished Divergent by Veronica Roth. I wasn't great, but not awful either. It had some interesting concepts, but the execution was poor. I couldn't help feel that the author was going for shock value in certain scenes rather than creating the shocking scene for the sake of plot or character development.
Need a bit of a palate cleanser, so now I'm reading Brother in Arms by Lois McMaster Bujold.

The hype surrounding Shovel Ready does nothing to diminish it. Started a bit ago and I'm hooked. This might just be the book that gets me out of the months-long reading funk I've been in.

That synopsis sounds pretty good. Have you read any Charlie Huston, if so how does Shovel Ready compare, because it really sounds like a book Huston could have written.

Continues to be a good reading year.

I read "The German Army" by the French historian Philippe Masson. It is a extremly detailled and well done analysis of the military strenghts and weaknesses of the Wehrmacht and the economic system behind it. If you ever wanted to really know why the Wehrmacht failed in the end. Here are the answers.

I also read a Graphic novel about Richard Sorge done by the young German artist Isabel Kreitz called "The matter with Sorge". You might not have heard about Richard Sorge, but he is probably one of the most important persons in the last century. Sorge was a Soviet spy and gave Stalin the decisive information that the Japanese would not attack Siberia. Therefore Stalin could send those troops to support the front lines and Moscow wasn´t taken by the Wehrmacht, the real turning point of World War II. Kreitz carefully captures Sorge as a moral corrupt but deeply human idealist.

That synopsis sounds pretty good. Have you read any Charlie Huston, if so how does Shovel Ready compare, because it really sounds like a book Huston could have written.

I have read several of Huston's books. Sternbergh's writing is more terse (many paragraphs are no more than a sentence long and the longest I've seen so far was maybe three), but if you are a fan of Huston you should like this.

I've been reading The Eye of the World recently after putting the WoT series on my reading list after hearing so much about it. It's very slow going, but I hear the later books pick up the pace a bit. Looking forward to that.

The pace does pick up from The Great Hunt through Lord of Chaos, but it takes a plunge between Crown of Swords and Knife of Dreams, then it picks up again with the final three books.

Finished Fingersmith by Sarah Waters. There were some interesting twists along the way, some that really surprised me, and the storyline is similar to other books I've read and enjoyed. The ending was a bit of a disappointment though. All in all, a fairly good book, and the lesbian sex scenes were pretty much non-existant, so I don't know what some of the reviews were harping on about. Gave it 3 stars on Goodreads.

Next up - I recently bought Fatherland by Robert Harris on the recommendation of a friend, so I might start that tomorrow.

I read the first Scott Pilgrim graphic novel at the advice of my daughter. I quite enjoyed it.

I am now starting Abercrombie's Red Country for the umpteenth time. I am a huge Abercrombie fan, I devoured the rest of his books (I even sent him a fanboy email, and he emailed me back,) but for some reason I haven't been able to get interested in Red Country.

Surely that is a reflection on me and not on the book, right?

I am now starting Abercrombie's Red Country for the umpteenth time. I am a huge Abercrombie fan, I devoured the rest of his books (I even sent him a fanboy email, and he emailed me back,) but for some reason I haven't been able to get interested in Red Country.

How far have you got into it? I did find it a bit more difficult to get into than Abercrombie's other books at first, but I thought it got a lot better as it went along.

Archived