January Reads - Into 2014 and beyond!

KingGendry

So far in Jan I have read Gifts by Le Guin, which was good but perhaps not as deep as it's premise. I also read a novella called Apocalyptic Montessa and Nuclear Lulu by Mercedes Yardley, which was a horror/romance type thing. Not my usuall thing at all, still trying to figure out how I feel about it.

Now reading Malice by John Gwynn. Yet another book that hasn't really sucked me in by the 10% mark, apperently I am cursed with slow openings lately. I will keep reading, Mage's Blood got better after all.

I started The Reader by Bernhard Schlink last night, as it's been on my shelf for a while, and is on my reading list for uni this term.

Huh, what uni you study at? I want be their student too! :o

Still reading The Dying of the Light, two thirds in. I like it. Frankly, I didn't expect I would because many reviews for the book are lukewarm, but so far I don't share the sentiment.

Cloud Atlas-David Mitchell.

Pretty good stuff this, the storytelling is top notch but as a whole I didn't feel it completely hung together.

Basically a collection of decent novellas (short stories?) linked together in a way that didn't entirely convince me.

This was my opinion too - I was a little surprised at how many people were blown away by it. The story-telling was good, the prose was good, I'm glad that I read it, but I never felt like - whoa this came together perfectly - the links between the stories were neat but not amazing.

This was my opinion too - I was a little surprised at how many people were blown away by it. The story-telling was good, the prose was good, I'm glad that I read it, but I never felt like - whoa this came together perfectly - the links between the stories were neat but not amazing.

Yeah. Individually the stories were good, and in the case of An Orison Of Sonmi, excellent and thematically it resonated, particularly on slavery/imprisonment, but as you put it there was no 'whoa!' moment where it fitted together perfectly. An excellent effort, just not the classic the blurbs would have you believe.

I'm currently about half way through Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep. I'm enjoying it so far although I do get the feeling certain elements of the story were included so he could have a character based on his pet dog.

Finished The Dragonbone Chair. It got a lot better after the awful terrible horrible Part 1. The weird thing was that I started being interested in the mechanics of the story without ever really liking a single character. I still find Simon boring and obnoxious. If I read the word "mooncalf" one more time, I will eat a kitten. I might and I might not come back and finish the series later, but I don't want to spend any more time on it right now.

I found the first book to be the hardest to get through in the series, although the latter parts were enough of an improvement to convince me to read the others. That's not to say that the other books don't sometimes suffer from the same problems as The Dragonbone Chair, but not to the same extent. I liked some of the supporting characters, but I found Simon to be a fairly bland hero.

I found the first book to be the hardest to get through in the series, although the latter parts were enough of an improvement to convince me to read the others. That's not to say that the other books don't sometimes suffer from the same problems as The Dragonbone Chair, but not to the same extent. I liked some of the supporting characters, but I found Simon to be a fairly bland hero.

Even when i was gaga for Williams back in high school I found The DragonBone Chair to be slooooow. I like slow moving stories too. Even on reread, which I've done at least four times, my god, that first book. Slooooow. So if you thought it picked up a bit at the end you'll probably like the rest. Be careful if you get the hardcover of book 3 though, as its known to break bones.

Huh, what uni you study at? I want be their student too! :o

:laugh: Trust me, you don't. I also have QBVII coming tomorrow, which I have to read, and I have yet to figure out how these will relate to my assignment.

However, I'm very much enjoying The Reader so far. I'll attempt to finish it tomorrow, and maybe make some notes. I'm in the middle of too many books atm, I really want to finish some before starting new ones.

I've started Gardens of the Moon, the first book in the Malazan Book of the Fallen, and it's honestly no where as near confusing as many people made it out to be.

Yeah, I started it a few days ago and I can't say that it's more confusing or hard to read than say, WoT or PoN. I got stuck on the first page though (the one that talks about Mock's Vane) and it took me about an hour to get past that, but since then it's been a smooth read.

There is a lot of weird vocabulary though, for example: 'Use the militia if the locals are recalcitrant.' Maybe because I'm not a native speaker but...'recalcitrant'?

Over the Christmas break, I went on a binge and finished off 4 books, helped by long flights and airport layovers: The Breeds of Man by F.M. Busby, The Longest Way Home by Robert Silverberg, and Brothers in Arms and The Vor Game, both by Lois McMaster Bujold.

So far in January, I've read The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch and am currently reading The Old Wine Shades by Martha Grimes. I also picked up the Dangerous Women anthology ( and read the first story ) and Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence which are next on my list.

Yeah, I started it a few days ago and I can't say that it's more confusing or hard to read than say, WoT or PoN. I got stuck on the first page though (the one that talks about Mock's Vane) and it took me about an hour to get past that, but since then it's been a smooth read.

There is a lot of weird vocabulary though, for example: 'Use the militia if the locals are recalcitrant.' Maybe because I'm not a native speaker but...'recalcitrant'?

I started reading Gardens of the Moon right around Christmas and just hit 80% today on my lunch break. I haven't found it especially confusing, but for me the story took a long time to get going in a meaningful direction, which in fairness is a pretty common complaint of mine for first volumes of fantasy series. Everything's starting to come together though, and by this point I'm starting to really get into it. Regardless of how this book ends, my curiosity is piqued to see what happens next.

Archived