January Reads - Into 2014 and beyond!

KingGendry

I'm about halfway through The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson. It's been very good so far.

I've started Gardens of the Moon, the first book in the Malazan Book of the Fallen, and it's honestly no where as near confusing as many people made it out to be.

I think it is often overstated how confusing it is, it isn't that bad.

Still reading on Dangerous Women, also picked up Michael Moorcock's A Nomad of the Time Streams. It's steampunk, it's got zeppelins, the British Empire going strong well into the latter days of the Twentieth Century, that kind of thing.

Alright I'm currently reading three books, however two of them are going to be year-long reads so I'll be updating progress more often (not daily!).

My lunch time read is: A Memory of Light

My two year-long reads are The Bible (New King James Version) and The Complete Works of Williams Shakespeare (both plays and sonnets/poems).

I'll only update progress on The Bible when I've completed a book, depending on its length then it might be after I've completed a few of the shorter ones, and already I'm through Genesis 5.

I'll update progress on Shakespeare once I've finished a play or a significant number of sonnets/poems, I'm reading his works in chronological order and am already through Act I of Two Gentlemen of Verona.

I finished up Look to Windward on NYE. Not my favorite of the Culture books, quite slow at times and the disparate threads weren't brought together entirely to my satisfaction, but it was still quite enjoyable. Banks (RIP) has such a vivid imagination, and I find his writing to be quite beautiful.

Started Foreigner by CJ Cherryh today. I have enjoyed other books by her (Cyteen is one of my favorites), so hopefully this series will live up.

I read The Princess and the Queen from the Dangerous Women anthology this evening. While it was nice to read some more GRRM, and although the history of the dragons is interesting, it got pretty confusing sometimes, and I found it a bit difficult to keep track of who was doing what. Pretty enjoyable overall though, and I'm looking forward to reading some of the other stories.

I'm also about halfway through Broken Homes by Ben Aaronovitch - still enjoying it, it's just been a bit of a slow time for reading. And I still have like 10 pages left of Death at Intervals, which I really should finish :laugh:

I pretty much devoured The Ides of April. I felt the climax dragged on a little bit, but other than that the book was real good. It was great to be back in the world of the Falco books again though this is set some time later. One thing I did notice was that characters from Davis' first series would get mentioned in passing instead of being shown "on screen". I would have loved to see some of those characters again, but I wonder if the author might be trying to keep each series separate from the other.

I read about half of Dangerous Women. Since a lot of people were reacting negatively to many of the stories, I decided to skip the ones I was pretty sure I wouldn't like. But even the ones I did read weren't too great either. Even GRRM's story was a little dull for him. There were one or two stories that were real good, but overall the anthology was disappointing.

I'm now reading Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth by Reza Aslan. I will also wait about a week or so before picking of Conservation of Shadows, a collection of Yoon Ha Lee's shorts.

Usually only read one book at a time, but I have 2 going now, one in physical form because that's the only place it exists, S. by J.J. Abrams and Doug Dorst, and one on my Kindle, John Dies at the End by David Wong. Not far into either, but enjoying both greatly thus far.

Archived