January Reads - Into 2014 and beyond!

KingGendry

Mash, how the hell do you get so many books read with those twins occupying most of your time?

Umm, that's actually low for me, even after the twins (before was a whole different story, best forgotten for now). It would have been a higher number but I spent most of January watching all 6 seasons of SoA whenever I had a free minute, instead of reading, which is what I normally do.

Margo Lanagan's The Brides of Rollrock Island. Brilliant book, dreamlike writing, powerful images. I loved this.

Probably the best thing I read last year. I've just bought it for a friend as a present - it was hard to get hold of actually.

I am doing so badly with reading so far this year. I have three different non-fiction books on the go and I'm just finding myself not always in the mood for reading stuff that I have to REALLY concentrate on. The one I'm probably likely to get through the quickest is Simon Garfield's On the Map: Why the world looks the way it does - probably because it is full of pictures of maps so it's actually shorter than it seems.

Finished Henry VI, Part Two as part of my year long reading of The Complete Works of William Shakespeare.

The play was entertaining with a lot of political intrigue and backstabbing then came the actual fighting. The introduction of Richard in Act V, while not historically accurate, was a good way to introducing one of Shakespeare's classic villains.

Maybe if I post here I'll read more. :)

Just read the first two books in The First Law trilogy, and am 25% through the last book. I am just loving the way Abercrombie does not follow typical fantasy themes. I suspect several couples are never going to get together, that no healing Magi is going to show up and cure a certain tortured character, and people are not going to live happily ever after. Certain characters remind me of the Greek gods. :)

Mash, how the hell do you get so many books read with those twins occupying most of your time?

In that case, you're going to LOVE the rest of LAOK.. I sure did :)

i should finish old man's war and the last werewolf (finally) by the end of the month. from there it is the iron jackal and the ace of skulls both by chris wooding. also, if anyone speaks to Ran, i really need my email changed so i can have my old account back. i've tried balerian@gmail ane PM's. i know that he is probably busy but its been like a week and daddy is dying from having a n00b account.

I have been trudging through the first Mistborn book. Not because its not good, but because I can hardly find the time to read. I want to do a reread of The Way of Kings before Words of Radiance comes out, so we'll see how it goes with continuing the trilogy. It will all come down to how well Mistborn grabs me by the end of it.

I have been trudging through the first Mistborn book. Not because its not good, but because I can hardly find the time to read. I want to do a reread of The Way of Kings before Words of Radiance comes out, so we'll see how it goes with continuing the trilogy. It will all come down to how well Mistborn grabs me by the end of it.

I liked Mistborn well enough at the time, though I don't think I would pick it up again. I tried reading Steelheart a couple of months ago, and almost a third way in I dropped it, realizing it's Mistborn set in a different world. The Way of Kings is a much better book, imo, so I think I will re-read it before Words of Radiance comes out. Just as soon as I get through Robert E. Howard's Conan stuff.

Funny you guys say that. I'm about to the proverbial 200 pages of Gardens of the Moon, and while I obviously don't know plenty, it's not too confusing or too difficult to follow. Going to give that one a try all the way through for sure and then see about continuing on Malazan.

I'm also waiting for a book that is a summary of Adam Smith at the library. I have not the heart to actually read Wealth of Nations itself.

Trisky, it's a bit of a humorous take on it, but P.J. O'Rourke actually decided he would read the book, as a book everyone talked about but had never actually read. Then he wrote a book summarizing it, which is quite funny. I found the audio book in a bargain bin and decided to buy it for a lark, because I figured I would never read it either. You could give it a try.

http://www.amazon.com/Wealth-Nations-Books-Changed-World/dp/0871139499/ref=sr_1_1_title_2_har?ie=UTF8&qid=1391057221&sr=8-1&keywords=audible+books+the+wealth+of+nations

It took me over a month, but I finally finished Diane Ravitch's Reign of Error: The Hoax of the Privatization Movement and the Danger to America's Public Schools.

How was that? I have it, because I read her blog in a preaching-to-the-choir kind of way, but I haven't read it yet because I don't really feel like reading about irritating educational policy stuff after dealing with the effects of it all day.

As noted in other threads, I apparently decided that reading two 800 page books wasn't enough in January and moved onto their respectively sequels. The Twelve is mostly going to be a February read though. Since both Susanna Clarke and Justin Cronin were rumored to be releasing books this year I thought it would be good to pick them up, but I'm now feeling more optimistic about one than the other.

I took the plunge and started Gardens of the Moon and am enjoying it quite a bit, finding it very readable.

I found Gardens considerably more readable than Deadhouse Gates, which I've spent the last couple of weeks plowing through. I'm at 70% right now and still only have a rudimentary understanding of what's going on in the story.

I found Gardens considerably more readable than Deadhouse Gates, which I've spent the last couple of weeks plowing through. I'm at 70% right now and still only have a rudimentary understanding of what's going on in the story.

That's what I'm afraid of, all the different comments I've seen on how the writing quality waxes and wanes over different installments I JUST WANT THIS SERIES TO BE AWESOME!

That's what I'm afraid of, all the different comments I've seen on how the writing quality waxes and wanes over different installments I JUST WANT THIS SERIES TO BE AWESOME!

Me too, and that's why I'm persevering. I feel like there's something great bubbling underneath the surface of all this stuff and I want to see it come to fruition. I think my main issue with Erikson thus far is that some of his POVs and subplots are much less interesting to me than others, which makes large parts of the story a drag while others are riveting. Uneven is an appropriate descriptor.

I finished Maggie Stiefvater's The Dream Thieves and while I liked it well enough, it wasn't nearly as good as the first book. There were passages where the writing was as good but as a whole the book was something of a disappointment. Second book syndrome? I don't know. I'm still planning on reading the next one, I hope the series goes back to the main plot, this whole book felt like a side story.

I'm in the process of starting Helene Wecker's The Golem and the Jinni. By that I mean I started reading it last night and fell asleep on page 1, which says absolutely nothing about the quality of the book and speaks volumes about my levels of exhaustion. Hopefully I'll do better tonight.

Finished Assassin's Apprentice. I thought it was really good, I'm interested to see where the story goes in the other two books. Unfortunately I'll be reading books dealing with the real world before I get to the second book of The Farseer Trilogy, so not until March most likely.

Archived