The Wall Has Moods?

Mithras

Outside the day was bright and cloudless. The sun had returned to the sky after a fortnight’s absence, and to the south the Wall rose blue-white and glittering. There was a saying Jon had heard from the older men at Castle Black: the Wall has more moods than Mad King Aerys, they’d say, or sometimes, the Wall has more moods than a woman. On cloudy days it looked to be white rock. On moonless nights it was as black as coal. In snowstorms it seemed carved of snow. But on days like this, there was no mistaking it for anything but ice. On days like this the Wall shimmered bright as a septon’s crystal, every crack and crevasse limned by sunlight, as frozen rainbows danced and died behind translucent ripples. On days like this the Wall was beautiful.

Jon thought these after he and Tormund agreed on terms to let the wildlings in. Is it possible that the Wall liked this agreement? It is obvious that the Wall remembers its purpose much better than crows. So letting in the firgtened wildlings is their duty.

We also know that Jon was very obsessed with saving the Hardhome people. I think the Wall would like that too. And in return, the Wall may do a favor to Jon after he is stabbed and put to an ice cell.

Do you think there is a spirit, or a person, tied to the wall? Much like Bloodraven is tied to the trees and now Bran is to take his place.

And if not, you have to wonder what kind of magic went into building such a place, and who knows what ramifications this magic had. Most of GRRM's magic has blood sacrifice involved, and maybe a bunch of blood sacrifices were made as it was built in place...and those souls are what provide it with it's "moods".

I just read this part of the book as I'm doing a re-read, and I didn't catch that. It could just be George being descriptive/creative with his writing though. But there is still much we do not know about The Wall.

The Wall was magical from the beginning and there have been hundreds of spirits bound to the Wall. The first one coming to my mind is 79 sentinels, buried alive on the holes dug to the Wall as a punishment for desertion.

Yeah. Kind of creepy.

I like it!!

I have a feeling we're going to find out more about the wall soon, and maybe what lies below (hopefully not due to it falling, but who knows). The wall is too awesome of a thing to fall though....I'll miss it. :(

And if not, you have to wonder what kind of magic went into building such a place, and who knows what ramifications this magic had.

And if Brandon the Builder was the source of that magic.

Because, if it is him, then the "there must always be a stark at Winterfell" comment could take a new meaning.

The Wall was magical from the beginning and there have been hundreds of spirits bound to the Wall.

And if you think in those terms, the bones of every Stark king and lord are interred beneath Winterfell.

Outside the day was bright and cloudless. The sun had returned to the sky after a fortnight’s absence, and to the south the Wall rose blue-white and glittering. There was a saying Jon had heard from the older men at Castle Black: the Wall has more moods than Mad King Aerys, they’d say, or sometimes, the Wall has more moods than a woman. On cloudy days it looked to be white rock. On moonless nights it was as black as coal. In snowstorms it seemed carved of snow. But on days like this, there was no mistaking it for anything but ice. On days like this the Wall shimmered bright as a septon’s crystal, every crack and crevasse limned by sunlight, as frozen rainbows danced and died behind translucent ripples. On days like this the Wall was beautiful.

Jon thought these after he and Tormund agreed on terms to let the wildlings in. Is it possible that the Wall liked this agreement? It is obvious that the Wall remembers its purpose much better than crows. So letting in the firgtened wildlings is their duty.

We also know that Jon was very obsessed with saving the Hardhome people. I think the Wall would like that too. And in return, the Wall may do a favor to Jon after he is stabbed and put to an ice cell.

It is quite common for children, artists and believers to personify things.. and if by chance some characters within ASOIAF would have done it I wouldn't have been much surprised. But you're even extrapolating this from a pure exterior aspect evaluation that clearly has to do with climate conditions and time of day/night.. ..ice is like that, just like wood it ain't something which changes can't be perceived by humans in less than a life time like for example happens for more endurable stuff (i.e. rock).

One of the most far fetched and unlikely theories ever read in this forum, -1.

haha! While it might be "reaching" a bit, I'll admit...in terms of unlikely or ridiculous theories, this is definitely not even close to the worst I've seen on this thread. But your point is noted, Patrocio, and I respect your opinion. I said much the same thing in my first post on this thread, in my second to last sentence. Only my response was a little more friendly.

It is quite common for children, artists and believers to personify things.. and if by chance some characters within ASOIAF would have done it I wouldn't have been much surprised. But you're even extrapolating this from a pure exterior aspect evaluation that clearly has to do with climate conditions and time of day/night.. ..ice is like that, just like wood it ain't something which changes can't be perceived by humans in less than a life time like for example happens for more endurable stuff (i.e. rock).

One of the most far fetched and unlikely theories ever read in this forum, -1.

We saw the bizarre winter storm which seems to be expanding from Winterfell, GRRM said the weird behaviour of the seasons are magical. Then why cant we think that the Wall has some sort of mini climate control around itself, changing both the weather and its appearance as it likes?

We saw the bizarre winter storm which seems to be expanding from Winterfell, GRRM said the weird behaviour of the seasons are magical. Then why cant we think that the Wall has some sort of mini climate control around itself, changing both the weather and its appearance as it likes?

Last time I checked having inanimate objects with a magical consciousness and a smiling face was cool only in fantasy like Fantaghirò, Micky Mouse the Wizard, Disney Fairy Tales..

..I've nothing against mini climate (which has some naturalistic and scientific explanation, if necessary) nor magical stuff, but I can't swallow the idea of a conscious wall with moods and menses.. :-)

Last time I checked having inanimate objects with a magical consciousness and a smiling face was cool only in fantasy like Fantaghirò, Micky Mouse the Wizard, Disney Fairy Tales..

..I've nothing against mini climate (which has some naturalistic and scientific explanation, if necessary) nor magical stuff, but I can't swallow the idea of a conscious wall with moods and menses.. :-)

The Wall defends itself as witnessed by Jon. Then how could it differentiate friends and foes?

The Wall defends itself as witnessed by Jon. Then how could it differentiate friends and foes?

What proof is there he differentiates at all among people? Are you seriously taking one biased PoV and common saying as a proof for your point?

It's covered with Ice, it uses to melt on a daily scale and cracks more easily when somebody interacts with it rather than when left alone.. it seems pretty alike what happens with real mountains covered with real ice and snow.. ..i don't see anything odd for it breaking down when people try to climb it.

Besides, for every dozen people who fall and are killed by the wall, another hundred manages to ride the north and safely go back to their homes.

Besides, the wall is supposed to be magical to keep out white walkers, not wildlings.. so what Jon witnessed is completely invalid and just a proof of how biased the Nightwatch PoV has become in the latest centuries.

People in the ASOIAF world seem to like giving inanimate objects feelings or opinions - like the Iron Throne rejecting people who sit on it if they happen to cut themselves. Superstition?

Archived