Quick Heresy Sidebar - Magical Gate vs Physical Tunnel

MMAJim

I'm digging into Heresy 91 as a bit of a Heresy N00b and don't want to derail the discussion.

Regarding the Wight Brothers vs Coldhands and passing through the wall. To me there is a distinct difference between a magical porthole through which Coldhands cannot pass and a physical tunnel through which the Wight Brothers were dragged.

Granted, I need to start with Heresy 1 and get caught up (I got time before 2015), but has this simple distinction but ruled out somehow.

Magical Gate ≠ Physical Opening, which negates the necessity for an explanation on the matter?

I'm digging into Heresy 91 as a bit of a Heresy N00b and don't want to derail the discussion.

Regarding the Wight Brothers vs Coldhands and passing through the wall. To me there is a distinct difference between a magical porthole through which Coldhands cannot pass and a physical tunnel through which the Wight Brothers were dragged.

Granted, I need to start with Heresy 1 and get caught up (I got time before 2015), but has this simple distinction but ruled out somehow.

Magical Gate ≠ Physical Opening, which negates the necessity for an explanation on the matter?

It has; both in Heresy and outside of Heresy. The general thoughts within Heresy has to do with guest-rights on the Wight Brothers. The Wight borhters were brought across the threshold so to speak by the Nights Watch. So in effect they were invited across the Wall.

Don't be afraid to voice your question within Heresy; as that is the whole intent of the current project.

I also.

Could it not be possible that the Wight Brothers could pass through the wall because they had taken the NW oath? (And why did they head straight to Mormont,s room?)

I also think we maybe over looking a part of the oath (or I am over thinking it?)... "nor father no children"

Lots of thoughts clouding through my mind, so best to keep it brief and slowly make my way through the past heresies.

It has; both in Heresy and outside of Heresy. The general thoughts within Heresy has to do with guest-rights on the Wight Brothers. The Wight borhters were brought across the threshold so to speak by the Nights Watch. So in effect they were invited across the Wall.

Don't be afraid to voice your question within Heresy; as that is the whole intent of the current project.

Mace isn't joking about the Heresy threads. I joined the discussion and was a bit off topic but got an answer none the less. These folks are very friendly and accommodating.

Thanks for the feedback. I definitely agree that the Heresy thread contributors are inviting. I guess my thought that that comparing the two passages is comparing apples to oranges and therefore somewhat moot. At the very least it seems pretty plausible that the two passages are different enough that referencing the two in the discussion of the properties of the wall would not yield any solid theories.

We had a bit of this discussion recently, more to do with the Black Gate than with Othor and Jaffers. In the text it says that Coldhands can't pass through the BG not because it's a portal but because the Wall itself is what stops him.

In other words it doesn't matter if it a magical gate or a physical opening the spells in the Wall won't let him pass.

Now that said we only have his word for it since we don't see him try the BG and get repelled. Adding to what Mace said when the wight brothers get carried in they are in what seems to be a dormant state at the time so that could be significant too.

I will echo Mace and Weirwood Wolf, just drop in. We won't bite.

• 1 month later...

I don't think it is firmly established that Coldhands could not have passed through the Black Gate or any other gate in the same manner as the two wights - that is 'deactivated' and slung over the back of a horse. I rather thought he sent Sam through because he could not cross whilst maintaining his cover as a living human.

Archived