Warlocks

It was mentioned in ADWD that Dany and Barriston both held some level of concern for the Warlocks of Quarth, and yet not much has been seen of them since ACOK. Do you think/ what roll will they play in TWOW? Do you consider them a serious threat and what do you think they have been planning/ who have they been working with?

Euron captured 4 warlocks. He fed 3 of them to the last surviving warlock. My guess is that the last surviving warlock is indeed Pyat Pree. So Euron made Pyat his bitch. Which is totally bad ass. I doubt if he'll be giving Dany trouble any time soon.

I thought 3 warlocks ate 1 warlock, I just re-read AFFC. I hope PP was the one eaten.

I'm pretty sure it was 3 eating 1 and also hope PP was the one eaten and I think that is probable given his mental attitude.

They were mentioned as being dispatched though I think they were on their way to Volantis? Where the slaves are waiting and want Dany to come soon?

I do remember thinking "oh, they went the wrong way" when I read where they were headed after they set off from Qarth.

I think that's where we'll see them strike - when Dany goes to Volantis to free the slaves and defeat the Elephants and Tigers.

I am not sure she will be going to Volantis to free the slaves and take the city, not after her adventure and revolution at the end of ADWD. I am thinking she is going to make a B-line for the 7 Kingdoms, between being able to ride Drogon, and probably hearing about the Dragon banners being raised in the Storm Lands pretty soon.

Not at all. If they are alive in the books, they are alive in the books, and may well turn up again. Irri (and Jhiqui) is still serving as Dany's handmaid, Rakharo remains one of her bloodriders, Mago will definitely show up again. You will learn the fate of Pyat Pree in WINDS. The Thirteen are still one of the factions contending for power in Qarth. You may see more of Alayaya and Chataya as well, and you will definitely hear more of Jeyne Westerling.

They are a very serious threat if what Euron says about sailing out past the coast using magic is to be believed.

"I am the storm. The first and the last" - While this could just be Euron talking crazy as usual some people believe that he will sink the Redwyne fleet using magic. Euron knows his navy is massively outnumbered and that Vic won't get back in time before he meets the 400? strong redwyne fleet. He's got a plan up his sleeve.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe, that the Warlocks will play a role in TWoW. Otherwise, there would be no reason to bring them up again in both AFfC (when Euron had supposedly caught them and made them his pets) and ADwD (when Daenerys waves the danger of the Warlocks off).

I don't think, that things are necessarily as they seem with Euron and his Warlocks. We know that they'd like either revenge on the Mother of Dragons, or they want dragons themselves. So it's queer, that this Ironborn - who has, admittedly, been around - is focused on getting Daenerys. Take that together with the mentioned danger of the Warlocks in AFfC and I propose, that Euron might work to their advantage... if they have something on him or manipulating him or made a deal or whatever, who knows, but I think there's something odd about the whole thing.

Just because someone 'shows up' again does not mean they are going to be important.

I don't know...GRRM has a reputation for killing with impunity, one that is well-deserved. If a character has survived to the sixth of seven books, there's a role they're meant to play. He's very deliberate about the relationships the characters have to one another, and their political ramifications. Dany has yet to deal with those with regards to Pyat Pree, since it's confirmed he'll be back, and since one of the main thrusts of the chronology is that magic is coming back strong, he could be a factor in Dany's survival or at least what happens to her before she gets to Westeros.

Archived