Pick your castle

Yes with a small number of archers too. The best part of Moat Caitlin is that if the attack is from the South then you can be resupplied from the North, also crannogmen with poisoned arrows protecting your flanks :)

Moat Cailin isn't really a castle - it's a fortification. And no one in their right mind would siege it - not unless you have forces on both sides.

The Twins, that's got to be a hard castle to surround, and you could escape down the river if needed.

That's a good addition. Theoretically, they have an endless supply of water and can fish for food.

The downside is that the keep itself isn't that hard to storm - and that you need a big garrison to hold both sides.

Casterly Rock. It has never fallen, it has a weirwood so I can ask the Old Gods for help as well as the new, its deep rock tunnels make it a tough target for dragons and it is on the coast so my enemy will need ships, opening the possibility that the siege can be lifted from either land or sea. Also it has lots of gold, so I can offer a big fat reward if any sellsword company will come to my rescue. I can also quarry unlimited amounts of trebuchet ammo from the tunnels to wear down the besiegers. So of all the castles, it's hardest to take in any direction and it has the most options for ending the siege.

The Twins, that's got to be a hard castle to surround, and you could escape down the river if needed.

I thought about putting the Twins on my list but decided it would be too easy for armies on the opposite banks to cut off supply or escape by water simply by firing burning arrows onto the boats. Of course, I don't know how wide the river is, and that would be an important factor.

The Eyrie.

Say what you will about Lysa Arryn, but her statement "The Eyrie is impregnable!" seems to be spot on. Without dragons, you can't even properly attack this place, let alone besiege it. The Bloody Gate has never been taken by military means.

"Give me 10 good men and climbing gear and I'll impregnate the bitch." Sorry, love that quote.

This is a tough question because there are several good answers, Storms End, The Eyrie, Riverrun, and Winterfell are all very strong castles. I exclude High Garden and Casterly Rock, because, for me, not enough is known about either, even with their descriptions in the WOIAF app.

I will have to go with Winterfell because it's surrounding lands would be harshest on the besieging force and it is large and string enough to have plenty of storage. It has to have massive cellars in order to keep the castle and possible surrounding areas fed through a long winter.

I thought about putting the Twins on my list but decided it would be too easy for armies on the opposite banks to cut off supply or escape by water simply by firing burning arrows onto the boats. Of course, I don't know how wide the river is, and that would be an important factor.

The biggest problem with the twins is that a smart commander would sink ships on either side of the twins in order to prevent reinforcement or resupply via the river.

It would take a commander willing to do what was necessary, and patient enough to actually pull it off though. So if Jaime Lannister, or Robb Stark are in charge of the besieging contingent then its probably very safe ;)

Casterly Rock. It has never fallen, it has a weirwood so I can ask the Old Gods for help as well as the new, its deep rock tunnels make it a tough target for dragons and it is on the coast so my enemy will need ships, opening the possibility that the siege can be lifted from either land or sea. Also it has lots of gold, so I can offer a big fat reward if any sellsword company will come to my rescue. I can also quarry unlimited amounts of trebuchet ammo from the tunnels to wear down the besiegers. So of all the castles, it's hardest to take in any direction and it has the most options for ending the siege.

Is Tyrion still on the loose in our scenario? Because if he is CR is not safe. Remember Dany's forces entered Meereen through the sewers? Tyrion was in charge of the sewers in CR. He can get in that way. And once he's in, he'll find a way to end the whole thing.

I will have to go with Winterfell because it's surrounding lands would be harshest on the besieging force and it is large and string enough to have plenty of storage. It has to have massive cellars in order to keep the castle and possible surrounding areas fed through a long winter.

The Eyrie's store rooms are as big as Winterfell's.

The biggest problem with the twins is that a smart commander would sink ships on either side of the twins in order to prevent reinforcement or resupply via the river.

You'll have to build ships especially for that purpose. Also, we have no idea if the Green Fork is even navigable at that point.

Riverrun still seems more suitable as its by far not the largest castle in Westeros, so only a small garrison is needed to defend it. The less mouths to feed the better. Where as a castle like Winterfell, Highgarden, Storms End are large and need a sizable garrison. Who wants to be stuck up in the Eyrie for 2 years in a siege?

I don't think the Bloody Gate or Moat Caitlin should count. Ostensibly if you are holding them, you should the entire might and resources of the Vale/North behind you.

Definitely. Moat Cailin can hardly be defended from the North making it an unviable option. This thread is about selecting the strongest castle to defend in all scenarios.

Storm's End - “Bring on your storm, my lord and recall, if you do, the name of this castle"

Casterly Rock - Never fallen, aside from Robb in the show (lol) every single person in the world says that taking The Rock is impossible from Balon Greyjoy to Bryden Tully.

Storm's End - “Bring on your storm, my lord and recall, if you do, the name of this castle"

Casterly Rock - Never fallen, aside from Robb in the show (lol) every single person in the world says that taking The Rock is impossible from Balon Greyjoy to Bryden Tully.

I think well see the fall of Storms End and the Rock in TWOW.

I think well see the fall of Storms End and the Rock in TWOW.

Well we hear Aegon and JonCon took Storm's End though like when Winterfell fell to Theon it sounded like he had a sneaky plan.

Could very well see Casterly Rock fall, but not sure who is situtated to do it...I mean, Aegon is in the Stormlands, the Vale is very far away if they even intend to get in on this, Stoneheart could never take it with the ragtag she has (Unless it is some kind of Jaime trojan horse thing), Dorne again is too far away, Euron is in the Reach, Stannis is at Winterfell. Nobody really close enough with the men to get it done atm.

Archived