Pick your castle

1. For that, you have to find a crannogman first, and convince him to negotiate with you, and then convince him to betray his lord. He's much more likely to simply put a poisoned arrow through your neck the moment he sees you.

2. Even if you know where it is and how to get there, getting through all the marshes/bogs/swamps (most of which are infested with poisionous things) would be nigh-on impossible for a regular army. And even if they did make it, they would be greatly diminished in numbers.

3. The Crannogmen are obviously completley self-sufficient, given that they've survived fine without any trade/diplomacy with anybody else, at least since the rebellion.

Perfect overview of the upsides to Greywater Watch. I would also pick it. Seems like a place with tremendous homecourt advantage. You just can't take a siege army into the swamps.

ETA: Could you get into the Vale (behind the defenders of the Bloody Gate) from the sea side?

That's how the Arryns (and the rest of the Andal invaders) took the Vale.

Since the OP has put a 2-year limit, I would say that the best castle for this hypothetical is the Eyrie, for two reasons:

1. It is almost impossible to storm and can be held with a relatively small garrison (definitely smaller than the other, bigger, more conventional castles we've seen).

2. It has granaries the size of Winterfell's.

Combine those two and the combination of small garrison and lots of supplies makes a 2-year siege almost a laughable matter.

If, however, I have to choose a castle to be besieged in with no end in sight, I would choose either Winterfell or Riverrun - because of their limited ability to resupply without outside assistance.

Then Storm's End.

I have some doubts about Storm's End capability of withstanding a long siege - mainly due to supply issues. I don't know how much time Stannis had to supply the castle before the siege began (the one during the Rebellion), but I imagine it was enough - and it barely held for a year.

I have some doubts about Storm's End capability of withstanding a long siege - mainly due to supply issues. I don't know how much time Stannis had to supply the castle before the siege began (the one during the Rebellion), but I imagine it was enough - and it barely held for a year.

If you've got a smuggler smuggling food past the wall of ships, if there are any, then you've got a constant supply and can last longer.

It really depends when it happens for me:

If it's a 2 year winter siege then Winterfell.

If it's a 2 year summer siege then Starfall.

If it's a siege with time in both winter and summer then Riverrun.

If it's a 2 year siege with the army approaching from my South then the ONLY real choice is Moat Caitlin.

It's all circumstantial right lol.

If you've got a smuggler smuggling food past the wall of ships, if there are any, then you've got a constant supply and can last longer.

Well, the hypothetical assumes a 2-year long complete siege - which would mean no outside resupplying and, in Storm's End's case - a naval blockade.

1. Greywater Watch is the obvious first choice in my mind. Howl(and)'s moving castle is strategically awesome by virtue of the fact that outsiders would have to find it, follow it, and figure out how to get in. Imagine the besieging army wakes up in the morning and the castle is gone.

2. The the Eyrie, provided the supplies are well-stocked and dragons aren't involved. If there are dragons, the Eyrie is toast.

3. Winterfell, if well-provisioned.

4. Storm's End, if we have Davos on our side to smuggle in onions.

5. Highgarden for the food stores. No idea how defensible it is, but I don't recall reading about it's ever being actually captured, and at least we wouldn't starve.

Riverrun as a runner up. The two year time frame makes for a problem in that it gives the enemy time to potentially bring in the other two armies needed to capture the castle. I think the books state that it would take three armies to do it.

It really depends when it happens for me:

If it's a 2 year winter siege then Winterfell.

If it's a 2 year summer siege then Starfall.

If it's a siege with time in both winter and summer then Riverrun.

If it's a 2 year siege with the army approaching from my South then the ONLY real choice is Moat Caitlin.

It's all circumstantial right lol.

Excellent points. I completely forgot about Moat Cailin. Didn't somebody say you could hold that one with just archers? Good choice as long as you don't run out of arrows.

Excellent points. I completely forgot about Moat Cailin. Didn't somebody say you could hold that one with just archers? Good choice as long as you don't run out of arrows.

Yes with a small number of archers too. The best part of Moat Caitlin is that if the attack is from the South then you can be resupplied from the North, also crannogmen with poisoned arrows protecting your flanks :)

Well, the hypothetical assumes a 2-year long complete siege - which would mean no outside resupplying and, in Storm's End's case - a naval blockade.

I don't think it's mentioned how much food Stannis had, whether they were full up or not, but with a full supply and rations, you could hold up for that long.

Archived