Russia has annexed Crimea, will it stop there or go further?

Ser Scot A Ellison

Well I think it´s messy and all over the place and probably has mixed up some things.

For example it begins with "Supreme Allied Commander Europe Gen Philip Breedlove said Nato was in particular concerned about the threat to Moldova's Trans-Dniester region."

Say what? Threat by whom? Russia? Transnistria wants to be annexed by them. Shouldn´t the actual point be that to get there Russia would need to move through Ukraine?

On my 7 o'clock local news, it was presented as Russia building up troops on Ukraine's eastern border to make a move on Transnistria as their goverment has asked to become part of Russia. Now, am I the only one to find this a completely wrong presentation of the current situation? If that was the case, they would be crossing miles and miles of Ukrainian territory, something that seems impossible without a Ukrainian-Russian war, all for a small strip pf impoverished land. Unless they actually want to occupy southern Ukraine, which would make Transnistria just a pretext and not the objective of Russia, since south-Ukraine is infinitely more important. Maybe it's just a small nuance for most people, but it gets me a little worked up when things are presented so vague/carelessly/plain inaccurate.

Is there any chance of Transnistria becoming Russian? Me thinks not.

The West needs to realize that the Cold War isn't over; Russia is still dangerous. They are still capable of doing damage to Europe and Americas not seen since World War 2.

Russia lost untold millions repelling the largest military assault in human history, and has spend the last 60-70 years worrying about a repeat. How do you think it feels that a military alliance devoted to opposing it has been expanded to its borders? It'd be like if Scotland left the UK, and promptly joined an international alliance targeting England.

Or to put it another way: Russia sees the *West* as dangerous.

On my 7 o'clock local news, it was presented as Russia building up troops on Ukraine's eastern border to make a move on Transnistria as their goverment has asked to become part of Russia. Now, am I the only one to find this a completely wrong presentation of the current situation? If that was the case, they would be crossing miles and miles of Ukrainian territory, something that seems impossible without a Ukrainian-Russian war, all for a small strip pf impoverished land. Unless they actually want to occupy southern Ukraine, which would make Transnistria just a pretext and not the objective of Russia, since south-Ukraine is infinitely more important. Maybe it's just a small nuance for most people, but it gets me a little worked up when things are presented so vague/carelessly/plain inaccurate.

Is there any chance of Transnistria becoming Russian? Me thinks not.

Why does there need to be a war if Transnistria wants to be part of Russia?

ttb,

I simply don't think "terrorists" can match the threat that an aggressive nuclear armed Nation-state can offer.

Wake up. Do you really think Russia wants a war w/ the west? But the "terrorists" do and are a legit threat. Not sure what other term to use...I would say "Islamic Fundamentalists??" but not sure that's fair.

ttb,

I think Russia would very much like take NATO and the rest of the West down a peg so that it can assert a renewed "Superpower" status. I think Putin has never been shy about wanting to see the Soviet Empire restored. That includes current members of NATO.

ttb,

I think Russia would very much like take NATO and the rest of the West down a peg so that it can assert a renewed "Superpower" status. I think Putin has never been shy about wanting to see the Soviet Empire restored. That includes current members of NATO.

To what end? Do you think Russia will eventually try to take over states that do not want to join them? direct answer would be appreciated, thanks.

ttb,

I think given the opportunity to offer some sort of justification such as the situation in Georgia, Crimea, and now in trans-Deinester, he will. The question is how far he believes he can safely push and whether he would risk open military conflict with NATO. I do not know the answer to the second question.

ttb,

I think given the opportunity to offer some sort of justification such as the situation in Georgia, Crimea, and now in trans-Deinester, he will. The question is how far he believes he can safely push and whether he would risk open military conflict with NATO. I do not know the answer to the second question.

OK. I don't think there's any chance Russia will attack NATO unprovoked. Zero chance, at least not given current conditions. If Russia wants to pursue annexing states that want to join their Federation without firing the first shot, I don't see why the West should care. Again, everyone needs to get their priorities straight

ttb,

Putin jus invaded and annexed a chunk of another sovereign nation on the flimsyist of justification and supported the action with a blatently fraudulent election. What makes you think Putin is above enginnering a cause for similar actions.

We've been over this, but I would hardly call it an invasion when the government of the "chunk" asked Russia (Putin?) to come in and they are allowed to have a military presence there (has it even been established that the allowed limit was exceeded?) not that it would make a huge difference for me, just saying) I have no reason to think the referendum was fraudulent at all.

Archived