Your favourite similarity to "Real Life"

yomi

Lots of the characters, lands, events and so on in ASoIaF have similarities to people, places, events and whatever in our world, be it its actual history, its mythology or its popculture, and among other things that's something we discuss a lot on this board. So I'd like to know what your favourite moment of thinking "Oh, Martin, I think I might just know were you got that idea from..." was.

At the moment my favourite is King's Landing's naval defense with a chain across the Blackwater and the wildfire and Constantinople's naval defense with a chain across the Bosphorus and the greek fire.

Robert arryn still on the teat...kids are so spoiled nowadays!!

Actually, my SIL knew a woman who breast-fed her son until he was 6 years old, although according to SIL, it was for vanity (bigger breasts)

For me, it's a lot of the simple things that make it more realistic, especially that nothing really goes according to plan. People think that they're doing the right thing, when instead it goes horribly horribly wrong, but you can't help but sympathize with them. Also, the fact that everyone is gray (well, maybe not Ramsay) and that they all do good things, all do bad things and they're just people trying to live their lives.

Watching Season 1 last night. Viserys death has a precedent in history.

When Ilkhan Hulagu rode into Baghdad, he demanded gold as tribute. The Caliph said no, the money was for the sustenance of the city and the glory of Islam. When Hulagu eventually took the city, he imprisoned the Caliph and deprived him of food and water. When the Caliph begged for food, Hulagu said, "You said that gold would sustain your city. Let's see if it sustains you." and poured molten gold down the Caliph's throat.

My source on this is Marco Polo's tales, so they may be exaggerated or even made up, but again, I wonder if GRRM used this as inspiration for Viserys esp. since the Dothraki are Mongol expies and Ilkhan Hulagu was a Mongol and I believe a grandson of Genghis Khan.

Archived