I <3 Electro - The electronic music connaisseur thread

Sylva Santagar

Lately my jam has been the Digitalism - DJ Kicks.

Sylvia, I am really bad at the various descriptors of electronic music... Even without the links, what would be some examples of tech-house in your mind? Something like DJ Hell/Int'l DJ Gigilos? Or more like Matthew Dear, Lusine, Ghostly type stuff?

Digitalism kicks ass... loved every single album!!!! They do awesome remixes...

I am into stuff like:

Klartraum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJAOq8vzCgo

M.A.N.D.Y.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PYYY37DvLY

Booka Shade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coD4FzM0YHg

just to give a little impression.... i really like when the shit turns deep :D

----

I'll still have to listen to most of the links all you other people posted :) I'll def. do it!!!!

And of course will post links here in future that I listen to...

I don't think so although I know the name of course. I listened to some samples and they didn't grab me, but I have a lot of respect for your taste so maybe I'll grab an album and try them. Got a favorite? I like breaks, not really DnB though.

From the other thread, I am definitely going to check out your funk recs too, just haven't had the chance.

Well my personal favorite Kruder & Dorfmeister is the G-Stoned EP, but its more jazz/groovy chill out type stuff, so while its really good, it may not be your cup of tea. Otherwise maybe check out the K&D Sessions, which I believe is a collection of 12"s, mostly remixing other tracks, so it's kind of all over the place... One of my favorite cuts is the remix of Bomb The Bass' Bug Dust Powder, far superior to the original, and hell, I just love a song about Naked Lunch...

Everyone that liked the Digitialism should check Sebastian - Total. It's a few years old, but its still hot shit. I think it might have been the first dance record I voluntarily played the fuck out of at work when it came out.

Can't find a full album version, which is really the way it should be listened to, it's a pretty continuous mix of 22 short tracks, but anyway, a taste:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fEenRS4BQi4

I'm pretty sure I'm a fan of electronic music...I'm so bad with specific names for what I like that I'm not sure if electronic is the best word or if electronica might be better or some other word. I generally prefer faster music that might be considered more dance music, I never really liked the slower trance variations. How do you all define it?

I'm really limited in finding new stuff so this thread is great. I've been very much stuck in the past with my older selections from the 80s, 90s, up until about 2004. These days, mainly what I do is download Judge Jules mixes every week. But I feel like those must be some top 40 variation of what else is out there, I just don't know where to find it.

I'm pretty sure I'm a fan of electronic music...I'm so bad with specific names for what I like that I'm not sure if electronic is the best word or if electronica might be better or some other word. I generally prefer faster music that might be considered more dance music, I never really liked the slower trance variations. How do you all define it?

I'm really limited in finding new stuff so this thread is great. I've been very much stuck in the past with my older selections from the 80s, 90s, up until about 2004. These days, mainly what I do is download Judge Jules mixes every week. But I feel like those must be some top 40 variation of what else is out there, I just don't know where to find it.

"Electronic music" is the catch-all umbrella category. "Electronica" is a specific subgenre.

By and large the taxonomy of electronic music is way up its own ass with dumb, overly specific subgenres. If you can either a. tell us what you liked of what we linked or b. link some stuff you like, we can help you better that way.

If you can either a. tell us what you liked of what we linked or b. link some stuff you like, we can help you better that way.

I'll do that. I've been working my way through the links. I've also been looking around online to see if there is anything I can link here as an example of what I like but most of my favorites are proving hard to find online. More than once I've found something that has the same information in the title but when I listen to it, it isn't the version I have at all.

Yeah, the different genre names and identifiers can be really difficult to make sense of if you aren't a hardcore fan. From what I understand, it's mostly the BPM and tempo that determines where on the spectrum a particular artist, or even individual track or mix, would fall. (I work in a record store, and have many friends who are house/techno/electro etc aficionados, and I still can't make sense of a fraction of the shit) And the nature of the scene, with many different artists composing, featuring, reworking, remixing, re-editing, etc can make it a challenge to find a particular version of a particular song that you like. Plus it can really blur the already muddy divisions between styles.

For myself, aside from the tried and true recommendations from friends, I usually find record labels, imprints, or series of releases that I enjoy, and use those as a kind of guiding light through the crazy confusing and ever changing world of electronic music.

For those

Everyone that liked the Digitialism should check Sebastian - Total. It's a few years old, but its still hot shit. I think it might have been the first dance record I voluntarily played the fuck out of at work when it came out.

Can't find a full album version, which is really the way it should be listened to, it's a pretty continuous mix of 22 short tracks, but anyway, a taste:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fEenRS4BQi4

I'd also recommend

Simian Mobile Disco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji06BDBSw3U

(nice set here)

You love her cause coz she's dead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R12uMoWJ3AY

(This is a fun track... can't find the whole album right away)

Crystal Castles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpA0rNZRHDE

(fucking good :D)

also all a few years old but still very very enjoyable.....

Yeah, the different genre names and identifiers can be really difficult to make sense of if you aren't a hardcore fan. From what I understand, it's mostly the BPM and tempo that determines where on the spectrum a particular artist, or even individual track or mix, would fall. (I work in a record store, and have many friends who are house/techno/electro etc aficionados, and I still can't make sense of a fraction of the shit) And the nature of the scene, with many different artists composing, featuring, reworking, remixing, re-editing, etc can make it a challenge to find a particular version of a particular song that you like. Plus it can really blur the already muddy divisions between styles.

For myself, aside from the tried and true recommendations from friends, I usually find record labels, imprints, or series of releases that I enjoy, and use those as a kind of guiding light through the crazy confusing and ever changing world of electronic music.

Well said!! Manytimes it is near impossible to define a musician/a mix/a track into one certain genre...

Best to look into something you enjoy and work your way from there, as you said...

There are many fans that constantly try to put a label on the music and try to define it, which can be fun and helpful but sometimes it seems a bit obsessive to me... Had many of those discussions with my friends....

That's sort of what I did around 2000, I liked most of the stuff on Ministry of Sound albums and I would just pick those up as they came out. But then around 2004 or so the music seemed to change directions and became less upbeat dance and became slower trance like and I stopped buying their albums. But they were the last label I really followed. I still listen to those older albums a lot.

And thanks for the explanations re names and subcategories. I just never knew how to describe what I liked when people ask...especially now as I know no one anyone who likes the same stuff I do. It was so much easier when I was younger and a lot more people my age were into music and went to clubs.

Have some more links. I'm also going back to my first post and making notes on what the stuff I linked is.

- This one has quite a few names attached. The original is "Honey" by Billie Ray Martin, but this is a Chicane remix of it, and I first found it on a Tiesto comp. You should listen to it from the start, but it doesn't come into its own til nearly 2min in.

- I don't know how to describe this. Electro synth jazz? It owns though

Thievery Corporation - Décollage - Thievery Corp have always married electronic music with world music, but this is the first track of their newest, a stylistic departure for them.

- Sex in your headphones.

- Not sure how to categorize this, has lyrics

- Retro sounds.

- Great beat, great MC

EDIT: I probably should have linked the most famous version of the most famous Art of Noise track in my first post, but here it is:

(often misbilled as "Moments In Love," which is another version of the same track, also by Art of Noise, but if you bought their debut [(Who's Afraid Of) The Art of Noise?] looking for it under that name you'd be disappointed). Amazing track, though, if overexposed now.

lady narcissa et al: for understanding the stupid genre names, Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music is probably still the best. And it has samples.

What a great link. Really interesting to read the history of it all.

Speaking of history, I was reading Judge Jules most recent blog and he wrote:

I wanted to start this instalment with a tribute to one of the most influential individuals in the history of electonic music, Frankie Knuckles. During my formative years it was the music that Frankie made/showcased that helped to inspire me and a generation of music fanatics to carve their own DJ careers. His remix of the Nightwriters ‘Let the music use you’ remains my favourite record of all time. I was fortunate enough to know Frankie; he was a truly wonderful kind, humble and engaging guy and will be sorely missed… RIP legend.

I did a search to find the remix mentioned and its on this page about halfway down, #7:

https://music.yahoo.com/blogs/yahoo-music/10-of-frankie-knuckles-s-best-remixes-and-productions-183918389.html;_ylt=A0LEVwkVl05TenYA0nBXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzY29rN2k5BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDM3MF8x

Not exactly my thing these days but still interesting to listen to for its historical context.

I like a lot of electronic music but my taste is stuck in the past. Or, rather, I'm not into what's currently hot. My electronic taste is permanently stuck in, like, big beat, breaks, and trance eras with a little trip hop thrown in.

- breaks

- Ibiza trance, from the master

- breaks

- trip hop, although Morcheeba get mad if you call them that

- experimental group, less experimental track

- trance

- techno I guess? electronic subgenres are dumb

- breaks

- trip hop

Holy crap! Is it possible that you and I were the same person 15 years ago, and that someone, seeing our potential for greatness, decided to clone us? I think I have almost all of those albums on my computer. But I would have selected some samples differently, such as Leftfield - Swords,

Sneaker Pimps - Wasted early Sunday morning, or Prodigy - Voodoo people. And to be fair to Morcheeba's assumed reaction they didn't do that much trip hop. Trigger hippie, Moog island, and... maybe some more.

I've been listening to electronic music almost since I started choosing for myself what music to listen to (though not exclusively). Starting with breakbeat and gabber, on to trance, to psychedelic trance (like Hallucinogen or Astral Projection), drum&bass (like Photek) and big beat (Midfield General, Monkey Mafia, Lionrock), to trip hop (the usual suspects), psybient (Shpongle, Entheogenic), ambient (This Will Destroy You, Death in Vegas, Boards of Canada), IDM (Autechre, Access to Arasaka), breakcore (The Flashbulb) and weird lovely electronic pop (Satanstompingcaterpillars, Múm, Caribou).

By the way, isn't 'electro' in the thread title a very specific genre with syncopated 808-sounding beats, very synthy synths, and dubby effects and/or monotonous vocoded vocals? Like this or this?

Sort of, yes, but with the stupid taxonomy of electronic music being what it is...

"Swords" is a good track but a very different sound from what I wanted to present and can be, I think, described fairly as very different from most of their output.

"6 Underground" is kind of the Sneaker Pimps track. I say that as someone who also enjoys some of their output after they canned their singer.

All of Jilted is good. "Poison" is just the famous one.

Gonna check out some of your links, but I'd like to hear some of your "normal" trance recs.

By the way, isn't 'electro' in the thread title a very specific genre with syncopated 808-sounding beats, very synthy synths, and dubby effects and/or monotonous vocoded vocals? Like this or this?

Yeah, I used the term "Electro" in the title as sort of catch-all phrase for electronic music in general... Terminological it is incorrect, though I hear it used like this a lot over here so I just went with it....

Archived