Wargs, Greenseers, Red priests, and the questionably hereditary nature of magic

The Dragons Hand

There's a theory that the reason that all the Stark children are wargs and skinchangers is because of the Direwolf pups. The pups could be the reason they developed their powers, without the wolves there to make the connection their powers wouldn't have awakened. I think that all Starks have the ability to become wargs and skinchangers, but you have to have the right animal (a Direwolf) for their warging and skinchanging ability to awaken.

If this is the case, then someone sent the Direwolf mother south of the Wall on purpose and wanted the Starks to find them and needs them to be wargs for a reason.

I do believe that some people have some strange gifts that are hard to quantify, or verify. Certainly I don't know of anything like that which happens in George's world. Still, I have a friend almost half of whose family picks up the phone before it rings. The other half of her family is as impervious to that sort of thing as I am.

snip

Well, that's your opinion and you're welcome to it. I disagree, however. Nothing is "by blood", that's one of the most common tropes in fantasy, and GRRM is subverting it.

yes, nothing's by blood.

Your blood makes you a greenseer,” said Lord Brynden.

Argue against canon all you want I guess.

And how would you explain Targ prophetic abilities??? Not by blood? :dunno:

Tyrion seems to have prophetic dreams as well, although some people think he's a Targ bastard. I seem to remember Davos having something like a dream after the Blackwater.

Hello - I think this is the start of the first (that I've seen) thread around Davos being a secret Targ.... (I am NOT going there)

Magic is mysterious, and also like a sword without a hilt - even if you think you understand it, you don't fully. Look at Melisandre - even when she acknowledges the fact that her prophecies are not certain and she doesn't know how to read the, she presses ahead with her best guess. I think the same also applies to Bloodraven, as omnipotent as he seems to be - he can understand quite a bit, but not everything.

My guess is there are several different strains of "magic" in this fantasy world, and all types are different and varied based on region, person, circumstances. Different people have different affinities for different types of magic, and there also seems to be some sort of waxing and waning of these types of powers like the seasons. Clearly the magic wasn't dead for all those years the dragons were gone (Bloodraven and the Children sustained themselves, even the warlocks maintained some type of powers), but we're definitely in a boom time right now with the coming of the comet, dragons, dire wolves, and the WW.

Hello - I think this is the start of the first (that I've seen) thread around Davos being a secret Targ.... (I am NOT going there)

I think it was meant more as that's a thing everybody has, rather than some hint at Davos Targaryen? @Lord_Takahashi?

There's a Sansa chapter in GoT in which she says "Everyone knew dreams were prophetic." Hint? :leer:

There's a theory that the reason that all the Stark children are wargs and skinchangers is because of the Direwolf pups. The pups could be the reason they developed their powers, without the wolves there to make the connection their powers wouldn't have awakened. I think that all Starks have the ability to become wargs and skinchangers, but you have to have the right animal (a Direwolf) for their warging and skinchanging ability to awaken.

If this is the case, then someone sent the Direwolf mother south of the Wall on purpose and wanted the Starks to find them and needs them to be wargs for a reason.

Makes a certain amount of sense. I seem to remember Robb showing signs of being a Warg, Sansa hasn't really and she lost her direwolf quite early in the series. As for Rickon I don't know, it's possible though. I wouldn't say that Arya is a pure-warg right now as she only slips into Nymeria's mind while sleeping.

I dunno. Varamyr's first skin was a dog, but afterwards he took all kinds of animals. I think certain wargs feel attached to certain kinds of animal, but I don't think the presence of the animal is what triggers the awakening of the power.

My money would be on proximity to a weirwood heart tree, and even that's uncertain. It may be just a matter of bloodlines, and most people born with that power just never realize that they are wargs because they aren't part of the right culture and don't understand it when they have "warg dreams".

Huh. I wasn't aware we had blood magic, prophetic dreams and warging in our world...

No blood magic or warging but there are people who have prophetic dreams and other forms of ESP.

Was it your post that compared the Stark warging to Dany's fireproof event? Not a good comparison as hers was one event whereas the Stark warging is a multiple occurrence, ongoing thing.

yes, nothing's by blood.

Argue against canon all you want I guess.

And how would you explain Targ prophetic abilities??? Not by blood? :dunno:

Heh. "Canon", that's funny, considering GRRM hardly seems to agree with himself half the time.

Oh, and I already pointed out that yuor interpretation of the line you quoted (out of context) is not the only possible, or indeed the most plausible. You'd know this if you bothered reading my posts (it's #19 btw) rather than just keep repeating yourself ad nauseam.

No blood magic or warging but there are people who have prophetic dreams and other forms of ESP.

Heh, or so they claim. Until such time as someone presents anything resembling a scientifically falsifiable hypothesis for this and documented tests to support it, I'll coubt it as "no".

Was it your post that compared the Stark warging to Dany's fireproof event? Not a good comparison as hers was one event whereas the Stark warging is a multiple occurrence, ongoing thing.

The Stark kids all being born wargs is "one event".

Heh. "Canon", that's funny, considering GRRM hardly seems to agree with himself half the time.

Oh, and I already pointed out that yuor interpretation of the line you quoted (out of context) is not the only possible, or indeed the most plausible. You'd know this if you bothered reading my posts (it's #19 btw) rather than just keep repeating yourself ad nauseam.

It's very much in context as the discussion between BR and Bran is about where he gets his powers from.

See you sidestepped the point about Targ prophetic abilities being hereditary. Doesnt quite fit your 'belief' theory.

What I think you're trying to say is that warging was not inherited, it will not be passed down. The Stark's abilities will die with the current generation. My issue with that is why would their be three people who at very least share a grandfather at maximum share a father, all get the same ability.

Speaking of Brynden, wonder why Grrm made House Blackwood an FM House. Maybe so Bloodraven could warg?

And you think it's a coincidence the wargs we know are FM blood, and it's spelled out to us that crannogmen 'grew close' to CotF who had the same curious abilities?

Do you think Aegon I would have been concerned with Andal wargs? You don't need training to warg, Varamyr was already doing it etc.

IMO it's quite obvious what happened with CoTF. Prophetic magical abilities by blood didn't arrive by themselves.

Bran loves climbing. The children are forest dwellers. Tree climbers.

Arya is skinny and has a cat motif working for her. Children ar skinny with large cat eyes.

That is two Starks with children traits. How tall are they? The crannogmen are small.

Tullys may be originally first men like the Brackens. They have a short name which Grrm says is a FM indicator. They almost definitely have Blackwood and Bracken in them regardless. Stark blood may not be as diluted as we think.

I think it was meant more as that's a thing everybody has, rather than some hint at Davos Targaryen? @Lord_Takahashi?

There's a Sansa chapter in GoT in which she says "Everyone knew dreams were prophetic." Hint? :leer:

Apologies, that is what I meant to imply but placing it right beside the "Tyrion is a secret Targ" comment made it look like I thought Davos Targaryen was a thing.

What I think you're trying to say is that warging was not inherited, it will not be passed down. The Stark's abilities will die with the current generation. My issue with that is why would their be three people who at very least share a grandfather at maximum share a father, all get the same ability.

It's fairly clear it's not inherited directly, yes. Unless you're going to argue BR's mother was a warg.

It is magic, any arguments based on inheritance are not necessarily true.

It's very much in context as the discussion between BR and Bran is about where he gets his powers from.

Yes, from HIS blood. Meaning he was born with the ability, rather than it being the result of some other process. In response to the question Bran just posed, asking whether or not he will become a Warg due to eating the weirwood paste.

See you sidestepped the point about Targ prophetic abilities being hereditary. Doesnt quite fit your 'belief' theory.

I didn't sidestep anything. Again, there is no proof their dreams are hereditary at all. We have how many Targaryens with "prophetic" dreams ? Two ? Three ? Not such a great number, after all. There are other people who say prophecies, are you suggesting these are secret Targs ?

Heh, or so they claim. Until such time as someone presents anything resembling a scientifically falsifiable hypothesis for this and documented tests to support it, I'll coubt it as "no".

Six events. Unless I missed them being sextuplets and Jon being Cat's son.

If it's the access to the direwolves that did it, that was "one event" I suppose... In my assumed role as Devil's advocate :D

Ok so all we need to do to get more wargs, skinchangers, and greenseers is get more magical pets to Westeros. Dany's got three dragons. She can share. Rickon can bring the unicorns from Skagos.

Archived