House Velaryon family tree

TGR

Hmm, nice thinking there. Any of those scenarios could be true, but one of the twins being Corlys' mother would seem to fit timeline-wise. Unless, yeah, they died during Maegor's reign.

However, one thing sticks out. Marrying into their line would place one in a position to contest the inheritance. Note that male predominance over female claimants for the Targaryen dynasty is only established in 92 AC and then strengthened by the Great Council in 101 AC. The twins surviving might throw another wrench into things, which I'm not sure fits.

Since the Velaryons and Targaryens are so joined at the hip - and since Rhaenys' Velaryon children have dragons - one wonders if previous generations of Velaryons already obtained dragons due to their close links to the dragonlords. Probably not and it's likely Rhaenys' children were the first.

This begs the question why did this happen? Was it with with permission from Jaeharys I, which seems likely, but is odd on the other hand considering Rhaenys and Corlys may have felt slighted by the decision in 92 AC and might not have been on the best of terms with the court.

On the dragon thing, not entering forbidden territory:

It has not been confirmed that Laena and Laenor were the first Velaryon dragonriders. We don't know what happened to the four dragons Aenar brought to Dragonstone, but it's easily possible that a female dragonrider between Aenar and Aegon married into House Velaryon and passed her dragon to her Velaryon son/daughter. If that was the case, this dragon did not produce any eggs future, they would have no dragons of their own.

And later on, even if Corlys had a Targaryen mother of unknown origin, it's possible that there was a shortage of dragon eggs. Jaehaerys and Alysanne had nine children, and I guess those children (and later their children) were allowed to pick first. If that was not the case, Corlys' hatchling could have died early, or he may have lost his young dragon during his journeys. But my best guess is that he was never particularly interested in dragon-riding; his voyages took him really far into the East, for all we know...

On the dragon thing, not entering forbidden territory:

It has not been confirmed that Laena and Laenor were the first Velaryon dragonriders. We don't know what happened to the four dragons Aenar brought to Dragonstone, but it's easily possible that a female dragonrider between Aenar and Aegon married into House Velaryon and passed her dragon to her Velaryon son/daughter. If that was the case, this dragon did not produce any eggs future, they would have no dragons of their own.

And later on, even if Corlys had a Targaryen mother of unknown origin, it's possible that there was a shortage of dragon eggs. Jaehaerys and Alysanne had nine children, and I guess those children (and later their children) were allowed to pick first. If that was not the case, Corlys' hatchling could have died early, or he may have lost his young dragon during his journeys. But my best guess is that he was never particularly interested in dragon-riding; his voyages took him really far into the East, for all we know...

Do we know if Corlys was the eldest Velaryon child? Perhaps he had an older brother, who was a dragonrider, but died somehow.

That would be possible. Corlys' adventures would make more sense if he was not the heir to Driftmark, but a second son. And if Rhaenys was indeed 10-15 years younger than Corlys, she could have been only chosen as his bride after he became heir/Lord of Driftmark, upon his permanent return. My guess is that Corlys made a series of sea voyages during his early years, each of them encompassing a few years.

[mod]

Please respect Ran's wishes and only discuss excerpts from the World book that were sanctioned for release.

[/mod]

I thought that what the guys said here was something already well known. GRRM mentioned in that "Son of the Dragons" lecture (or something like that, cant recall the precise name) that Aegon the Conqueror had from two to three daughters, apart from Aenys and Maegor.

@Ran: in your latest video about the World Book, you mention some families that would have the family tree. Obviously, the Velaryon aren't there. However, will we have some information to make their line at least clear? I mean, get to know how much Targs and Velaryons intermarried and stuff like that?

They seem so important in the early reign of the Dragons that would be sad have nothing about it.

Archived