Dating 9: resolving the cliffhangers of the last thread

Angalin

I am really very indecisive, it is the worst. V says the right things and I am very conflicted and nervous. Boys don't usually trip me up this way.

About two years ago, I was in a similar situation, but flipped. The current SO and I been dating for about 3 months in Chicago, and then she got into her top grad school choice in Seattle and moved across the country. She broke it off and we decided to be just friends.

However, after talking on the phone and video-chatting every day for two months straight after she'd left (Sidenote: during which time, I met a whole bunch of BWBers at Chicago Worldcon!), we decided that we were, indeed, in a long distance relationship.

Several months later, I told her I was thinking of looking for a job and moving out to Seattle.

She got very uncomfortable. Her big fear was that I would totally change my life for her (I really enjoyed where I was in Chicago), and when we got to the same city, we wouldn't work out, and I would end up hating her for ruining my life.

My response was that she shouldn't feel the need to be responsible for me. I was an adult, and if I did move out there and it didn't work out, I'd be mature enough to handle that.

With that in mind, when first I got offered a job in Seattle I thought I'd hate, I turned it down. I knew that was a recipe for disaster. It might delay my move, but I knew she shouldn't be the ONLY reason I leave Chicago. I had to at least like what I was going to do out there.

However, when I got offered a job that sounded amazing, I decided to give it a go. It was a huge, life-changing decision. (FYI, I work at becker&mayer. We did the Lands of Ice and Fire book with George).

Here's the thing: I'm loving my job out here. I'm loving learning about all the crazy places the strange new city called Seattle has to offer.

In all honesty, my relationship with the SO has had some severe ups and downs since I came out here.

Right now, we're doing great, but you know what? Even if we broke up tomorrow, I wouldn't regret my move for a second. This may sound kind of cheesy, but it's been a really cool adventure.

Anyway, all this to say, you never know what can happen...

I went on the date with piano player because I agreed to it. He was nice and handsome but I didn't let him touch me or anything because V and I decided to, at least for the time being, try and figure out how we can do this. He had already done a lot in the interest of trying to arrange our situation I didn't realize before, so I'm willing to extend a little more trust. It is still very probably going to be a total disaster, but I don't think I will bolt for now.

Archived