The Purple Wedding Conspiracy (long, long, long, long post)

John Suburbs

And if the poison were slipped into the piece of pie placed at Tyrion's table, who else but Tyrion would be likely to eat it?

Asked and answered a few times: nobody. As in: he could easily have left it untouched. There were what - seventy-seven courses to be served? If somebody wanted to poison Tyrion, he'd most likely go for his wine cup, just like they did with Joffrey.

You're in a "write only" mode, aren't you? Asking questions you don't really want answers for, and ignoring them when you get them.

Uh, the poison was brought in on Sansa's hairnet no matter which theory you buy into. Why does the pie discount the prophecy, but the wine does not?

Misread, I thought were saying the poison was baked in the pie. So just to clarify. 1 piece of Sansa's hairnet gem was put into only Tyrion's cake slice?

This thread is just going to continue going in circles:

OP - here's all the stuff that happened and here is my theory. i can't disprove what pretty much everyone else believes based on the evidence, but by the same card no one can explicitly disprove my idea therefore i think i am correct and challenge anyone to prove me wrong.

pretty much everyone else - all of the evidence would lead a normal person to conclude Olenna took the poison from Sansa's hairnet and got it into Joffrey's wine. while it's not impossible that the pie was poisoned or that Tyrion was the target, using the wine to kill Joffrey is far and away the more believable, alluded to and likely scenario.

OP - see, you said "not impossible", therefore my theory is valid until proved otherwise.

and on, and on, and on....

Asked and answered a few times: nobody. As in: he could easily have left it untouched. There were what - seventy-seven courses to be served? If somebody wanted to poison Tyrion, he'd most likely go for his wine cup, just like they did with Joffrey.

You're in a "write only" mode, aren't you? Asking questions you don't really want answers for, and ignoring them when you get them.

Yes, and responded to in the same way over and over again. He could have left it untouched, but unlikely because this is not an ordinary course -- it is the Wedding Pie. "Come uncle, it is bad luck not to eat the pie." Like our own wedding cake, it is customary for everyone to take at least one bite of pie. So there is every reason to expect that Tyrion and only Tyrion would eat that particular slice of pie, unlike the wine, which could easily have been consumed by Margaery, or, at the very least, looked very suspicious if she begged off of a toast and then had Joffrey drop dead.

I'm not sure what "write only" mode is, but I do not ignore anyone's questions. I've answered them all using sources in the text, historical precedence or plain logic. It seems like most of the time, the same question keeps coming back as if I've never addressed it before.

if you're going to poison someone, it would make sense to place it in something that you are sure the intended target, and only the target, will consume. The pie passes that test, the wine does not.

Could they have poisoned Tyrion's wine instead? Of course, but since Tyrion usually has it in his hand, there may not have been a good opportunity. And the pie is still a more subtle target -- no clink, no plop, just a quick dab into the very front corner.

Misread, I thought were saying the poison was baked in the pie. So just to clarify. 1 piece of Sansa's hairnet gem was put into only Tyrion's cake slice?

Yes, I doubt anyone had a piece of the actual pie that was wheeled in. It had live birds crawling around inside of it. I certainly wouldn't eat it.

And yes, the one crystal that Lady O took from the hairnet. In the pie, which was why it was dry. Then in goes the wine, and there is your dissolving catalyst if you believe that only wine can dissolve the Strangler. Now he has a highly potent does of poisoned wine right down his throat.

This thread is just going to continue going in circles:

OP - here's all the stuff that happened and here is my theory. i can't disprove what pretty much everyone else believes based on the evidence, but by the same card no one can explicitly disprove my idea therefore i think i am correct and challenge anyone to prove me wrong.

pretty much everyone else - all of the evidence would lead a normal person to conclude Olenna took the poison from Sansa's hairnet and got it into Joffrey's wine. while it's not impossible that the pie was poisoned or that Tyrion was the target, using the wine to kill Joffrey is far and away the more believable, alluded to and likely scenario.

OP - see, you said "not impossible", therefore my theory is valid until proved otherwise.

and on, and on, and on....

Yes, I agree. The difference is I have admitted all along that the pie theory is just that, a theory. It would very well be that the wine with Joffrey as the target is the real truth.

Others argue that the pie theory is complete bunk, and then cite any number of assumptions, inferences and interpretations of text as "proof" that the theory does not hold. And then to top it all off, the general attitude is that it is up to me to "prove" the pie theory, while the wine theory is perfectly valid based on assumptions, inferences and interpretations.

And then to say I don't provide any "textual evidence" or any other basis for the conclusions I've drawn is just flat wrong. The OP is filled with nothing but references to the text and/or logical conclusions based on character's previous actions/statements or historical precedents regarding medieval attitudes toward marriage, etc.

Archived