Will the rest of Westeros ever realize how much they owe Stannis Baratheon?

So what did he actually save Westeros from?

About 10k wildling warriors, and another 30k women, children and old people?

So that's an influx of 40k refugees, into a region (the North) with a population of maybe 5 million. Just the Umber lands likely has a population of 250k people. That's 5 times the total number of wildling refugees.

Yes, the wildlings would have been hugely disruptive to the North - particularly the Northernmost lords, but they were hardly an existential threat to the realm, or to the North.

So what did he actually save Westeros from?

About 10k wildling warriors, and another 30k women, children and old people?

So that's an influx of 40k refugees, into a region (the North) with a population of maybe 5 million. Just the Umber lands likely has a population of 250k people. That's 5 times the total number of wildling refugees.

Yes, the wildlings would have been hugely disruptive to the North - particularly the Northernmost lords, but they were hardly an existential threat to the realm, or to the North.

I didn't know that the Wildling's plan was to man the Wall themselves and bolster defenses against the threat of the Others.

Until he apologizes for "Lady Lannister" comment, I don't care if he had vanquished Others with his right and rebuild the Wall with his left hand, let alone winning a battle :)

Why? Sansa IS Lady Lannister. Do you deny that she's married to Tyrion?

Family identities largely surpass legal technicalities.

"My name's already Selma Bouvier-Terwilliger-Hutz-McClure! God knows it's long enough already without Nahasapasapeeta-whatever!

No, from now on I'm only marrying for love..... And maybe once more for money."

Sansa Stark-Lannister-Hardyng is already long enough without Baelish.

What's so bad about the Lady Lannister comment. Just Sansa fans taking it personally? From a political point of view he wouldn't want Sansa in Winterfell, because it would mean Tyrion ruling Winterfell. And she IS Lady Lannister, even if it is not by choice.

Heh, while his intentions are in the right places, his murder of Renly is what insured no one (mostly Robb) would come to the rescue of the Watch.

It's still his best action by far.

None of the other kings cared to rescue the watch. They were focussed on fighting eachother. So was Stannis until Davos come up with that letter.

None of the other kings cared to rescue the watch. They were focussed on fighting eachother. So was Stannis until Davos come up with that letter.

Which is why I say Stannis going is admirable.

Thing is, they wouldn't be fighting if Renly was still alive. The Lannisters would have been defeated already, the Starks would have returned to being vassals of the Iron Throne, and Balon might have abandoned his plan to rebel with a presence as powerful as Renly's still in power.

Thing is, they wouldn't be fighting if Renly was still alive. The Lannisters would have been defeated already, the Starks would have returned to being vassals of the Iron Throne, and Balon might have abandoned his plan to rebel with a presence as powerful as Renly's still in power.

So Renly defeating Stannis would have led to Stannis going to the wall how?

Renly defeating Stannis would have led to Robb going to the Wall.

Stannis still dies.

Ah ok, I was under the impression we were discussing Stannis caring in the current situation...

But yeah, you knowing what exactly would have happened if Renly would have lived is pretty valid too.

Wait, they are a thing?

Yes, they are a thing and they are a very real threat. I would rather not have to fight them. No more Sansa lannister comments.

ETA: or well, at least be sensitive about it I should say. Like, stannis wasn't mocking Sansa. He just doesn't know what's going on there, is all.

The Knights Watch owes Stannis a debt that they repaid when Jon sent Stannis against Deep Motte.

The realm doesn't owe stannis nothing. He delayed the wall from coming down for a bit longer.

That doesn't mean that they owe him anything.

It's Jon that makes a better peace with the wildlings than Stannis. He at least let them keep their gods and dignity by not making them kneel. Under Jon the wildlings were tying to work together with the watch against the common foe.

Stannis pranced his ass off from the wall to free Winterfell. The northern lords have that well in hand. If your the freer of the known world and that fate rests on your shoulders it's kind of reckless to go running off to Winterfell where you could die.

Mel said it best these squabbles over the throne are meaningless so long as the others are there and coming south!

Stannis left people behind to fortify the wall. Wildlings and Queens men. He has public plans to ensure all the castles are garrisoned to protect the realm. How can he just leave the Boltons and Freys at his back? I highly recommend you stay out of any strategic confrontations

And they really wouldn't have been fighting if Robert didn't marry Cersei

Stannis left people behind to fortify the wall. Wildlings and Queens men. He has public plans to ensure all the castles are garrisoned to protect the realm. How can he just leave the Boltons and Freys at his back? I highly recommend you stay out of any strategic confrontations

That and the obvious increase of men from the North he gets by defeating the Boltons. Men he needs to man the Wall. I am always surprised how many people missed that part.

Archived