Will the rest of Westeros ever realize how much they owe Stannis Baratheon?

Yeah, but the real question is whether Others considered NW a serious threat that could stop them? Stannis certainly ended the destruction of NW, but we have no idea how his actions influenced Others' plans.

Yes, I agree, Stannis prevented the destruction of the NW, no one can argue with that. However, I would like to push your question a step further. How can we even be sure that the Others' plan involves any kind of invasion south of the wall? There has been, to my knowledge, no evidence given to that effect. The wights have proven quite aggressive, albeit in a "Walking dead" type behaviour however that has not applied to the Others.

Yes, I agree, Stannis prevented the destruction of the NW, no one can argue with that. However, I would like to push your question a step further. How can we even be sure that the Others' plan involves any kind of invasion south of the wall? There has been, to my knowledge, no evidence given to that effect. The wights have proven quite aggressive, albeit in a "Walking dead" type behaviour however that has not applied to the Others.

Oh who cares about that... You are back... Welcome back, my friend :cheers:

Hahahaha, yeah cause those who plan battles shouldn't get any credit? I guess random soldier #8372 should get more credit than Napoleon at the Battle of Austerlitz? You're a trip dude.

Isn't Cotter Pyke the one who let them to the Wildlings? I don't see how much planning Stannis could of done in the short time frame and knowing nothing about the enemy or land he was fighting on. He got lucky that the NW knew the land and the wildlings have no discipline, it doesn't take a strategic genius to kill a bunch of wildlings, Bowen Marsh did it.

Isn't Cotter Pyke the one who let them to the Wildlings? I don't see how much planning Stannis could of done in the short time frame and knowing nothing about the enemy or land he was fighting on.

He decided to go to the wall. A good commander listens to his subordinates and allies and heeds their counsel. A route ensued.

Also Tywin's dead.

Stannis destroyed the wildlings with around 1500 men, correct me if I'm wrong. They aren't really a threat to the southern lords. The bigger danger is if they leave the wall unmanned once the NW is destroyed.

Reason being they were engaged at the front by the wall and were flanked and routed. #datstrategy #putthewildlingsonblast

He decided to go to the wall. A good commander listens to his subordinates and allies and heeds their counsel. A route ensued.

Also Tywin's dead.

And he would never of gone without Lord Tywin and Mace beating him at Blackwater. I just want to see you give credit where credit is due.

He lives on through his sons, something Stannis won't be able to do unless his murderous shadow queefs are running around somewhere.

Stannis destroyed the wildlings with around 1500 men, correct me if I'm wrong. They aren't really a threat to the southern lords. The bigger danger is if they leave the wall unmanned once the NW is destroyed.

The wildlings were not a huge threat to the south, sure. In a pitched battle they would have most likely lost, but it would have been WAY bloodier then stannis stopping them at the wall. Pillaging, raping, and looting as much as they can before getting stopped finally.

This of course ignores him saving jon, and the watch. Which are arguably the two more important factors.

And he would never of gone without Lord Tywin and Mace beating him at Blackwater. I just want to see you give credit where credit is due.

He lives on through his sons, something Stannis won't be able to do unless his murderous shadow queefs are running around somewhere.

First argument is nonsensical. If Stannis won the throne, he would have received Aemon's letter and Davos would present him anyway. So, again, he would go to do his duty...

As for the second nonsensical sexist comment... Well, I said all that should have been said about that.

Oh look a Stannis thread! *dips toe in*

Without Stannis crushing the wildlings, there would have been little in the way of effort to get them to calm the fuck down. So yeah, he totally dropped a spanner in the works for Team Other. Team Other wasnt expecting anyone to come up and help out. Oh curses, that wily Stannis got the better of them Others for the time being. After all, now they have to rethink their strategy. First Sam's murder of Puddles and now this. Team Other cant catch a break.

Now Stannis marches on Bolton forces and most of Westeros does not seem to pay any mind to whats going on up there. And its bad! Silly Westeros. If Stannis puts a serious dent in Team Bolton, allowing for Team Jon or anyone else to kick their asses (thats if Stannis fails in wiping out Team Bolton), then yeah, he saved a lot of Westeros ass.

First argument is nonsensical. If Stannis won the throne, he would have received Aemon's letter and Davos would present him anyway. So, again, he would go to do his duty...

As for the second nonsensical sexist comment... Well, I said all that should have been said about that.

He would ignore Tywin and Robb Stark? How is he going to get around Robb's forces without a fleet large enough to carry his troops? I don't think the Ironborn are going to let him through MC and he has declared Robb and the Riverlords enemies of his and he would have to get past them too.

And what is sexist about it? Tywin's legacy lives on through his sons and Stannis' never will.

Isn't Cotter Pyke the one who let them to the Wildlings? I don't see how much planning Stannis could of done in the short time frame and knowing nothing about the enemy or land he was fighting on. He got lucky that the NW knew the land and the wildlings have no discipline, it doesn't take a strategic genius to kill a bunch of wildlings, Bowen Marsh did it.

First, he uses the rangers' knowledge of game trails to sneak up on Mance swiftly. He has Melisandre burn the eagle-scout of the sky, and has the rangers alone strike first to draw out Harma and the rest of Mance's defenses. Once they've galloped out he has a column of heavy horse emerge and attack Harma's unsuspecting cavalry, while two other columns of heavy horse emerge and attack the wildlings as they try to organize more resistance (one hitting Tormund, and the other the giants). When Mance attempts to rally the wildlings to him, a wedge of knights rides through and captures him. While all of this is going on he has archers firing flaming arrows into the camp, as well as horns and trumpets blaring constantly. Practically everything that happened played to his own army's strengths and capitalized on the wildlings' weaknesses, and predictably he scored a big victory.

Bowen Marsh was fighting a far smaller diversionary force, and he suffered great losses.

He would ignore Tywin and Robb Stark? How is he going to get around Robb's forces without a fleet large enough to carry his troops? I don't think the Ironborn are going to let him through MC and he has declared Robb and the Riverlords enemies of his and he would have to get past them too.

And what is sexist about it? Tywin's legacy lives on through his sons and Stannis' never will.

The same way he went there from Dragonstone.

As for legacy, if we find Tywin's legacy through incestuous twins, of which one is a kingslayer and other thrown naked on the streets of capital, and the third child is the one who killed him, I think Stannis got a better deal. And, also, parents' legacy lives through their children, regardless of gender.

Still dead #letitgo #letitgoooooooooo

Yeah, whats dead may never die, because you know, its already dead. It cant actually die again.

Tywin lives on through two sons that hate him and will most likely be dead soon enough. One was just sold into slavery and had to promise tons of gold and lands to a sellsword company to live, and the other is on his way to lady stoneheart. So yeah. Tywins really livin on!

Yeah, whats dead may never die, because you know, its already dead. It cant actually die again.

Tywin lives on through two sons that hate him and will most likely be dead soon enough. One was just sold into slavery and had to promise tons of gold and lands to a sellsword company to live, and the other is on his way to lady stoneheart. So yeah. Tywins really livin on!

The seed is strong brah. #thisismylegacy #yeaaaaaaahhh

The same way he went there from Dragonstone.

As for legacy, if we find Tywin's legacy through incestuous twins, of which one is a kingslayer and other thrown naked on the streets of capital, and the third child is the one who killed him, I think Stannis got a better deal. And, also, parents' legacy lives through their children, regardless of gender.

Saan's fleet isn't large enough to carry all of the men he would have if he won at Blackwater. So is he going to abandon most of his army to go fight a savage up north or try to deal with men like Robb Stark and Tywin Lannister?

Saan's fleet isn't large enough to carry all of the men he would have if he won at Blackwater. So is he going to abandon most of his army to go fight a savage up north or try to deal with men like Robb Stark and Tywin Lannister?

King's landing is a port, he could have built the armada he needed. he could have also dealt with Robb Stark by seizing Winterfell and trapping him in Riverlands and let lions and wolves destroy each other.

Archived