What will trigger Dany's madness?

hollowcrown

I don't think Dany will go mad. Does anyone have any evidence for her going mad?

Both Aerys and Viserys showed signs from young and Barristan says she does not show those signs.

Aerys' madness seems to have been paranoia, delusions and sadism. We are told he had lapses and it is not clear what these lapses were but they were probably either delusions (like Viserys thinking the usurper was after him) or fits of violent anger (like Viserys' "waking the dragon" moments) or a bit of both. Dany doesn't have these.

If people think she must go mad because of Targ blood then they should also be predicting madness in the hundreds and thousands of secret Targs revealed on this forum every day. I believe that someone went through the Targs and found that those who only had one Targ parent were just as likely to be mad as the children of incestuous marriages.

Madness is central to her character arc, the only thing she fears. The parallels with Rhaenrya in the first Dance are set for her in the second. Her decisions will cause the warned of betrayals and others will view her as mad. Her arc is set up for her to question herself if she is mad or not, and to find her own answer.

What about Baelor the Blessed or the Young Dragon? They could be seen like both mad and great, in a way...

Baelor I deem him mad, well not the same kind of mad as Aerys and Viserys, but mad nonetheless.

Constantly striving to be more pious and 'cleanse' himself of the sins of mortals, antagonizing the ruling class, bringing shame upon his house by anointing first an illiterate stonemason and then a young boy to the position of High Septon. Were it not for his hand Viserys, the realm would've fallen apart and the only thing he'd done about it was praying. And thank the Old Gods he was poisoned or he would've been the bane of his own house.

Dareon fashioned himself a conqueror like Aegon and he payed the price for it, he plunged the realm into a war he had to exaggerate to make it seem as a great war,

but in the end he lost it all in a fortnight, because he named the wrong steward... I wouldn't exactly call him mad but just stupid.

Baelor I deem him mad, well not the same kind of mad as Aerys and Viserys, but mad nonetheless.

Constantly striving to be more pious and 'cleanse' himself of the sins of mortals, antagonizing the ruling class, bringing shame upon his house by anointing first an illiterate stonemason and then a young boy to the position of High Septon. Were it not for his hand Viserys, the realm would've fallen apart and the only thing he'd done about it was praying. And thank the Old Gods he was poisoned or he would've been the bane of his own house.

Dareon fashioned himself a conqueror like Aegon and he payed the price for it, he plunged the realm into a war he had to exaggerate to make it seem as a great war,

but in the end he lost it all in a fortnight, because he named the wrong steward... I wouldn't exactly call him mad but just stupid.

Then how were they great?

Just to be clear, I'm not jumping on the first answer that negates what you said Ser Lepus. I truly am looking for examples of Targaryen who were both Mad and Great, to see if the saying can be considered true, or BS ;)

But Baelor the Blessed is known for being pious and building the Sept if I'm not mistaken. I'm not sure that qualifies as greatness. And Blackfyre answered better than I could about the Young Dragon

Most of those people are villains (Cersei, Littlefinger, Varys) or are going down a dark path themselves (Arya, Sansa, Tyrion). Stannis is a false Azor Ahai, Aegon is a mummer's dragon, Jaime is full of crap (IMO). Arianne is an idiot who spent her life hating her father and brother for something she didn't understand. Asha is ironborn and just wants to prey on Westeros like the rest of her people. Tyrion wants to manipulate everyone for his own personal vengeance.

As for Westeros itself. It's already on fire and in debt. The place sucks.

Only Jon and Sam stick out as protagonists. Is Jon the blue rose smelling of sweetness from Dany's visions? If so, they are likely to go into it before the series is over.

I assure you, I've read Dance multiple times. What I read in her last chapter is that she's done chaining up her dragons/her Targaryen roots. She's lost focus on her goal (Westeros) and it's time to get back on track.

If you recall Dance, her city is under siege by her enemies. She was found by Khal Jhaqo... her enemy.

Doesn't matter if someone is down a dark path, and ASOIAF isn't a story of heroes and villains, the point remains, any one of those characters I listed could oppose Dany and you spouting your opinions about different characters is pointless and not adding to the discussion in any way.

Cliffs:

- I don't see Dany killing anyone that shouldn't be dead.

- Don't like dragon fire? Git out da whey.

Just want to point out he lugs Melisandre everywhere, he's changed his sigil to a fiery heart and he's forcing the red religion on everyone without compromise.

That's a zealot.

Quote by Stannis below:

“A sacrifice will prove our faith still burns true, Sire,” Clayton Suggs had told the king. And Godry the Giantslayer said, “The old gods of the north have sent this storm upon us. Only R’hllor can end it. We must give him an unbeliever.”

“Half my army is made up of unbelievers,” Stannis had replied. “I will have no burnings. Pray harder"

That doesnt sound much like a religious zealout to me. He's a pragmatic guy who uses burning as a form of execution instead of beheading (like Ned) or crucifixion (like Dany) because of his religion he doesn't even seem to believe in. Persons going to die anyway...he's might as well offer the Red God a traitor, he doesn't just kill people for not believing in his religion.

1. Losing her Dragons.

2. Someone with a better claim.

Agree. Tyrion or Victarion could steal a dragon, another could die in the battle of Mereen

When news reaches her about Aegon landing in Westeros claiming to be Rhaegar's son

Perosnally, I would be really cheated if she went mad. The term was every time a Targaryen was born the gods flipped a coin, highlighting that Targaryens did have some cases of madness but it wasn't a given. Am I the only one who would find it really cliche if ALL the Targaryens went mad, Dany is more interesting because she ISN'T mad.

I agree with all the previous statements saying that if Dany was going to snap she would have already. If Danys dragons get taken from her (which I suspect wont be for long) shes be very upset and angry, and would get them back ruthlessly but wouldn't be plunged into insanity. Dany going into the Grass Sea was the best thing for her, she found herself and bounded with he dragon, and although she was dehydrated and hungry she seemed happier than she had been for most of DWD.

I just find it odd how people criticize her for causing the deaths of so many people in slavers bay, trying to achieve something genuinely good, but want her to become crazy and bloodthirsty....

Doesn't matter if someone is down a dark path, and ASOIAF isn't a story of heroes and villains, the point remains, any one of those characters I listed could oppose Dany and you spouting your opinions about different characters is pointless and not adding to the discussion in any way.

I completely agree with the first part of your statement. On the other hand, you seem chose to only consider the fact that the characters you listed could oppose Dany. Yet most of them could also become her allies.

TheWitch, I agree she's not going to become mad. But she could be bloodthirsty (or at least not as merciful as she is at the moment) without becoming mad. And I strongly believe that's what her last chapter points to. And I can't wait for it to happen. She's a conqueror, and she has to accept it.

That doesnt sound much like a religious zealout to me. He's a pragmatic guy who uses burning as a form of execution instead of beheading (like Ned) or crucifixion (like Dany) because of his religion he doesn't even seem to believe in. Persons going to die anyway...he's might as well offer the Red God a traitor, he doesn't just kill people for not believing in his religion.

Axel Florent (and tons of others) say otherwise.

... the point is: you can't insist that Dany is going to be some Final Villain, a dark and dangerous character the realm has to fear, when the realm is already in the grips of dark and dangerous people.

Stannis still has Melisandre. He forced the wildlings to take up the Red God. He burned the cannibals. He still has his fiery heart sigil. He's still waving his burning sword around at Jon, Sam and Aemon.

It's like you pick and choose what you want to see. You want to see Dany be the Main Villain but you forget Westeros is already controlled by villains. You say Stannis isn't a zealot but you forget all of the things I listed above.

Archived