Ned's Last Letter

Alia Atreides

Please forgive me if this one has been discussed to death, explained, etc.

But I've always been curious as to who Ned in his last chapter in GoT wanted to write a letter to, was it Howland Reed? Jon? I'm 99 percent sure it had to do with Jon parentage no matter whom it was going to go to, but my question is did he even end up writing it since it was up to Varys if this letter would be sent and Ned did not want to divulge this sort of information to the Master of Whispers.

Any theories?

That is a really good question. We do not see any more conversation between Varys and Ned, but there had to have been, because everyone seemed to be operating under the idea that a deal was struck and Ned was going to recant and take the black. Of course that could also be used against him writing a letter to Jon, since he knew he was going to see him... but we certainly missed a conversation there as the reader.

That is a really good question. We do not see any more conversation between Varys and Ned, but there had to have been, because everyone seemed to be operating under the idea that a deal was struck and Ned was going to recant and take the black. Of course that could also be used against him writing a letter to Jon, since he knew he was going to see him... but we certainly missed a conversation there as the reader.

I'm more suspsicous as it wasn't ever brought up again but then we've only had Ned POV not anyone else whom that letter if sent went to I think it will come up again.

That is why I also said perhaps it was never written at all if Varys was going to read it etc.

^This (assuming R+L=J), as naive as Ned was there's a big reason he kept that to himself, and didn't even tell Cat, no chance in the seven hells he'd even hint as such to Varys. I always assumed that letter was to Cersei and inconsequential, and that's how I still feel.

That being said this does not completely discount a letter to Howland Reed, suggesting he let Jon know how he Truly felt, or let him know of his mother, etc

We the reader were not privy to last time Varys and Ned spoke IMHO.

I presumed that he would have written a letter to Cat or Robb (if he knew Robb had proclaimed himself KitN). I would imagine ensuring his immediate family that he's well would take up more importance than a letter to Jon who he was (supposedly) going to be seeing anyway.

Please forgive me if this one has been discussed to death, explained, etc.

But I've always been curious as to who Ned in his last chapter in GoT wanted to write a letter to, was it Howland Reed? Jon? I'm 99 percent sure it had to do with Jon parentage no matter whom it was going to go to, but my question is did he even end up writing it since it was up to Varys if this letter would be sent and Ned did not want to divulge this sort of information to the Master of Whispers.

Any theories?

If he did have varys send a letter it could have been something as simple as. Talk to howland reed if you want to know more about your mom. Or it could have been to howland reed. Talk to Jon for me. But somehow I just doubt it. If Varys convinced Ned to take the black then there would be no need for Ned to write a letter. I don't think at that time anyone knew exactly what they had in Joffrey. And non knew that Joffrey would have him executed.

I think that Ned reconsidered writing a letter after Varys tells him that he will read the letter first and then decide whether to send it or not. In saying that, I think that Ned's original intention was to send a letter to The Wall. Sending a message to Greywater Watch is not an option since Ravens cannot find the castle.

So Jon - No if he were going to the Wall no reason.

Howland Reed - No Raven's could not get there...

So perhaps it wasn't that consequential I doubt it was to Cersei either.

I'd just like to point out that at the point when Ned asked Varys to carry a message he did not know that he would be offered to take the black. Mourneblade has pointed out that there is a missing conversation. That missing conversation took place between Ned and Cersei. Varys tells Ned that the queen would be paying him a visit the next day and he should tell her what she wants to hear. I think that it was during this missing conversation with Cersei where Ned agreed to plead guilty to treason and in exchange he would take the black.

I think that Ned reconsidered writing a letter after Varys tells him that he will read the letter first and then decide whether to send it or not. In saying that, I think that Ned's original intention was to send a letter to The Wall. Sending a message to Greywater Watch is not an option since Ravens cannot find the castle.

and yet Robb sends word there in a Clash of Kings....

No Raven for sure, but someone knows how to get there lol.

but yeah its pretty thin lol

I'd just like to point out that at the point when Ned asked Varys to carry a message he did not know that he would be offered to take the black. Mourneblade has pointed out that there is a missing conversation. That missing conversation took place between Ned and Cersei. Varys tells Ned that the queen would be paying him a visit the next day and he should tell her what she wants to hear. I think that it was during this missing conversation with Cersei where Ned agreed to plead guilty to treason and in exchange he would take the black.

That yes I think did take place as Varys said if the Queen didn't like what she heard the next message he would deliver would be Sansa's head.

and yet Robb sends word there in a Clash of Kings....

No Raven for sure, but someone knows how to get there lol.

but yeah its pretty thin lol

And they wrote back and forth to each other through the years' Bran mentions this when Jojen and Meera arrive at Winterfell to declare fealty for their Father in ACOK's. so they could get a message to him somehow. I wonder if it will ever be brought up again ... ahh I just want the new novel already :)

And they wrote back and forth to each other through the years' Bran mentions this when Jojen and Meera arrive at Winterfell to declare fealty for their Father in ACOK's. so they could get a message to him somehow. I wonder if it will ever be brought up again ... ahh I just want the new novel already :)

It is possible to get messages to Greywater Watch just not via raven mail. Probably the messenger will have to go to The Neck in person. In Storm, Robb tells Maege and Galbart to sail up The Neck flying his banner and the Crannogmen will find them and take them to Greywater Watch.

Archived