Stone Dragon by Mel

VisenyaLives

"When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone."

It seems to me that the prophecy states that the reason Azor Ahai is reborn is to wake the dragons out of stone. Azor Ahai, not his/her sidekick gal-pal Mel. Not that I see this stopping Mel from trying anyways, as we have already seen with her having Stannis stick his sword in the fire and call it Lightbringer. She could have saved herself a step since that sword would have been red with heat when it was originally forged already. But whether we take this prophecy literally or metaphorically, this phrasing is too exact to allow for reinterpretation.

From a smoking tower, a great stone beast took wing, breathing shadow fire.

The elements provided point to a dragon being the most likely, since Griffins don't breath fire. However, an argument could be made that, if taken metaphorically, it could be a Griffin (great stone beast with wings) declaring (breathing) a fake dragon to be real (shadow fire if we take fire to represent dragon/Targaryen). In other words possibly Jon Connington declaring Aegon a true dragon when he is in fact a fake. Not saying this is the truth, just pointing out another way to interpret this vision.

All I feel is certain is that Azor Ahai needs to be the one to wake the dragons and anyone else doing it make the prophecy null and void.

Unless the griffin is the beast and "shadow fire" refers to a plague of greyscale. I wouldn't be surprised if the greyscale plot device was a way for Martin to kill off even more people to add to the wight army in the battle for Dawn.

Also I pretty much assume the Azor Ahai prophecy refers to waking dragons from "stone" dragon eggs.... Then again you know what they say about prophecy

Is it possible that Mel thinks that Windwrym , one of the towers shaped like a dragon at Dragonstone is the one she claims she can awaken for Stannis?

And I just remembered at HotU with the visions Dany sees (A great stone beast takes wing from a smoking tower, breathing shadows)

I believe she misinterpetting prophesy, and it was Dany who awoken dragons from stone (the eggs.) She was also born amidst smoke and salt . :D

• 1 month later...

Unless the griffin is the beast and "shadow fire" refers to a plague of greyscale. I wouldn't be surprised if the greyscale plot device was a way for Martin to kill off even more people to add to the wight army in the battle for Dawn.

This is exactly what will happen. How do I know? Because it matches the profecy perfectly while being difficult to decipher, and yet feels very, very obvious after thinking about it for a second...

Whether the "Stone Beast" refers to greyscale, or "Stone Dragon," or whatever. I think breathing shadow fire, refers to soemthing else. Shadow fire... shadow is black. blackened fire. Blackfyre. Bastard targaryen.

I believe she misinterpetting prophesy, and it was Dany who awoken dragons from stone (the eggs.) She was also born amidst smoke and salt . :D

Yeah, it's clearly referring to Daenerys literally waking dragons from stone. Melisandre just doesn't know about her yet. The red star bleeding has come and gone. Some people for some reason are still convinced that one of the main characters actually hatching dragons is a red herring, and it boggles my mind.

Yea that's a very reasonable interpretation IMO. It could be anything really we'll just have to wait for TWOW :( haha. I just think if it was Aegon he would've said "stone dragon." Esp since it's from Danys POV and she sees dragons all the time so she knows what they look like. A "beast" feels like it could be a griffin and maybe Dany just doesn't know what that is so she called it a beast.

Does anyone know when GRRM said he knew he was going to add Aegon? Bc that could help is out. Like say there's a SSM where he said he didn't think to add the Griff/YG plot line till after SoS or something.... Idk, anyone have any info?

"When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone."

It seems to me that the prophecy states that the reason Azor Ahai is reborn is to wake the dragons out of stone. Azor Ahai, not his/her sidekick gal-pal Mel. Not that I see this stopping Mel from trying anyways, as we have already seen with her having Stannis stick his sword in the fire and call it Lightbringer. She could have saved herself a step since that sword would have been red with heat when it was originally forged already. But whether we take this prophecy literally or metaphorically, this phrasing is too exact to allow for reinterpretation.

From a smoking tower, a great stone beast took wing, breathing shadow fire.

The elements provided point to a dragon being the most likely, since Griffins don't breath fire. However, an argument could be made that, if taken metaphorically, it could be a Griffin (great stone beast with wings) declaring (breathing) a fake dragon to be real (shadow fire if we take fire to represent dragon/Targaryen). In other words possibly Jon Connington declaring Aegon a true dragon when he is in fact a fake. Not saying this is the truth, just pointing out another way to interpret this vision.

All I feel is certain is that Azor Ahai needs to be the one to wake the dragons and anyone else doing it make the prophecy null and void.

Exactly! If Mel woke Jon "from stone" then she'd be AAR, not Jon.

Yeah, it's clearly referring to Daenerys literally waking dragons from stone. Melisandre just doesn't know about her yet. The red star bleeding has come and gone. Some people for some reason are still convinced that one of the main characters actually hatching dragons is a red herring, and it boggles my mind.

You and me both.

Archived