How formidable is Victarion as a fighter?

hollowcrown

Didn't he say he used to beat Harras a lot when they were younger? Definitely agree with him not being top level though.

Harras is a good deal younger, if I remember correctly. May not be fully grown or had as much experience as Vic then.

And we know vics men tell him that andrik the unsmiling is the best now in a way that hints it was once vic they used to say that about.

Wasn't that just the Cleftjaw?

Big Vic's probably one of the most dangerous of the Ironborn.

The Ironborn is a society based on one's ability to do 2 things: 1) be a fearless sailor, 2) be a fearless ass-kicker.

Anyone who rises to command the Iron Fleet has to demonstrate that to everyone, all the time, and survive all the challenges thrown at them. They cannot simply rely on their name.

(It is much like the Dothraki, in that way. Drogo was a bad-ass motherfucker, because he had to be.)

So, I imagine that Victarion would be considered an elite warrior. Who could he take on at roughly equal level? Probably someone like the Blackfish, Strongboar, Yohn Royce, Bronn, Brienne, Jorah (as to Barristan or Jorah, well, we shall soon see). Fighting and sailing is what he does best. Place him in the vanguard and he's happy, not being one to hang back and strategize.

It's hard to say because the ability to fight in armour at sea is not by itself a disqualifiers for fighting everywhere else. It would be like the ability to fight with a lance from horseback - specialized. Put Vic on the ground with an axe and he is still a huge and skilled combatant that can probably best nearly anyone thrown at him.

I don't think he's that great, saying he's better than Brienne is not supported by the text at all. First of all Vic is a big guy but he's not a giant, Moqorro is bigger than him. Second of all a young, small knight of no renown nearly killed him, that knight was also fighting outside of his comfort zone being on a moving ship.

I don't think he's that great, saying he's better than Brienne is not supported by the text at all. First of all Vic is a big guy but he's not a giant, Moqorro is bigger than him. Second of all a young, small knight of no renown nearly killed him, that knight was also fighting outside of his comfort zone being on a moving ship.

1st) moqorro is over 6ft , few bar greatjon, andrik the unsmiling and the mountain would be biggger or significantly bigger going of his description

2nd) That knight wasnt small just smaller than him and he was getting whupped til the ship lurched awkwardly

3) the knight is from islands whos very strongholds and ships specific purpose is to protect from inronborn raids....itl be highly unlikely hes never been on boats before.

I'm not biased against the Ironborn. We just don't have unbiased views on Victarion's actual abilities. Of course Victarion will think he's a brilliant warrior. He thinks he's far more important than he actually is.

The evidence in the books doesn't support the idea that he's the "best" amongst the Ironborn. The odds have usually been greatly stacked in his favor in the battles we've seen so far. He seems to be an adequate fighter but no one all that special. As others have mentioned, he was almost taken down by an unknown knight without armor out of his comfort zone. And Victarion was wearing armor. That isn't the mark of an unstoppable warrior.

I'm not biased against the Ironborn. We just don't have unbiased views on Victarion's actual abilities. Of course Victarion will think he's a brilliant warrior. He thinks he's far more important than he actually is.

The evidence in the books doesn't support the idea that he's the "best" amongst the Ironborn. The odds have usually been greatly stacked in his favor in the battles we've seen so far. He seems to be an adequate fighter but no one all that special. As others have mentioned, he was almost taken down by an unknown knight without armor out of his comfort zone. And Victarion was wearing armor. That isn't the mark of an unstoppable warrior.

As I interpreted it Talbert Serry seem to have been clad in armor, just like Victarion, which is part of why Victarion seemed to respect him and consider him "almost ironborn". Also, being unknown doesn't equate unskilled, nor is there any reason to believe that Serry was uncomfortable on a ship, as he was born and raised and trained on the Shield Islands.

As I interpreted it Talbert Serry seem to have been clad in armor, just like Victarion, which is part of why Victarion seemed to respect him and consider him "almost ironborn". Also, being unknown doesn't equate unskilled, nor is there any reason to believe that Serry was uncomfortable on a ship, as he was born and raised and trained on the Shield Islands.

I agree with this and one thing being glossed over is Victarion's brute strength. His weapon is perfect for close range fighting and in close quarters he can just get a hold of someone and mash them with his strength.

Victarion is a boss. Most importantly he is still alive. I think Brienne with valyrian steel vs. Vic would be an epic fight. We need more fights to judge the well known formidable warriors against each other. Many could make a case for the best warrior in the books that is still alive, but we need to read more books to find out.

I didn't equate unknown with unskilled. But he's still effectively a random knight.

I agree with this and one thing being glossed over is Victarion's brute strength. His weapon is perfect for close range fighting and in close quarters he can just get a hold of someone and mash them with his strength.

so can the hound, crakhall, mountian, greatjon umber, hotah, drogo etc .....being strong is an advantage in a fight period

Archived