How formidable is Victarion as a fighter?

hollowcrown

I personally think Victarion is pretty bad ass. One of the most powerful Ironborn warriors in a culture of warriors, some of his exploits include grabbing a sword mid combat to turn the tide and a lot of other raids and combat. He fights with an axe which is unusual as most other characters use swords.

I'm wondering how he'd come up in combat against someone like The Mountain or Jaime? He seems like he'd be a quick but strong warriors relying more of savagery and power than skill. Probably a good match for him would be Areo Hotah.

I always assumed him to be a pretty good warrior. Able to beat any smallfolk and most knights and professional men at arms, but not tactically minded or truly talented enough to beat the greats like Jaime, Barristan and such.

Pretty much comparable to Oberyn Martell: Exotic fighting style and lack of scruples, but not "all that" when we come right to it.

One of the most dangerous of all Ironborn fighters I'd say. Probably among the very best, but not the best. Andrik the Unsmiling, Qarl the Maid, Black Lorren are apparently more dangerous, and perhaps Dagmer Cleftjaw as well, and Harras Harlaw. Doesn't make him a pusover though, and he can probably duke it out with the best in Westeros.

He's a very good fighter, but I question the quality of his opponents.

Most of the people he fights don't wear armor because they fear drowning. He himself of course wears plate. That's an absolutely huge advantage.

Didn't he say he used to beat Harras a lot when they were younger? Definitely agree with him not being top level though.

Yeah its one of the biggest hints how much of an upgrade valyrian steel is

He says he used to batter him when they were younger sparring but now the knight is older and he has that bladeso hes not sure if he could take him or not

Pretty much everything we know about Victarion's fighting ability is completely unreliable since he thinks he's far better than he actually is. I don't recall if we've had Asha's opinion on his skill as a fighter or not. She'd probably be a better judge than Victarion himself.

Pretty much everything we know about Victarion's fighting ability is completely unreliable since he thinks he's far better than he actually is. I don't recall if we've had Asha's opinion on his skill as a fighter or not. She'd probably be a better judge than Victarion himself.

We know he slaughters many men at arms before kerb stomping a knight until a sudden lurch of the boat turns the fight around ....then vics reflexes turn the tables again

We know when asha is testing theon upon returning she says hes a formidable warrior that men sing of in the alehouses and theon agrees but describes him being too simple to be a threat to him politicaly

And we know vics men tell him that andrik the unsmiling is the best now in a way that hints it was once vic they used to say that about.

We know he slaughters many men at arms before kerb stomping a knight until a sudden lurch of the boat turns the fight around ....then vics reflexes turn the tables again

We know when asha is testing theon upon returning she says hes a formidable warrior that men sing of in the alehouses and theon agrees but describes him being too simple to be a threat to him politicaly

And we know vics men tell him that andrik the unsmiling is the best now in a way that hints it was once vic they used to say that about.

double post

Archived