What do we know about the Actual Song of Ice and Fire

Basically nothing is known about it. Rhaegar apparently thought it was related to the PTWP/3-heads Targ prophecy, but that doesn't mean that they actually are the same prophecy - or even that they're necessarily related (Rhaegar could be wrong).

Basically nothing is known about it. Rhaegar apparently thought it was related to the PTWP/3-heads Targ prophecy, but that doesn't mean that they actually are the same prophecy - or even that they're necessarily related (Rhaegar could be wrong).

I think it is facinating that GRRM named his series from a prophesy that he tells us nothing about. I also think it would be very interesting (and fitting) if the entire series was kicked off by Rhaegar misinterpreting a prophesy. Based on his final chapter in Dance with Sam, I think that maester Aemon knew of this prophesy and believes that Dany is the Princess that was promised, not Rhaegar. In the same chapter, he tells Sam that Stannis is not Azor Ahhai (I assume he thinks Dany or Jon is). How closely linked are the two prophesies? Could they be the same prophesy from two different people?

That's the scene preceding Rhaegar. First it's the Mad King telling his Hand to set KL on fire. Then, it changes to Rhaegar and Elia.

Word, just found it again, for some reason I had read it as the same scene. Got it :thumbsup:

I don't think it's an actual song that's already been written. It's been said (By GRRM I think) that "a song of ice and fire" is how future Westerosi will refer to what happens with the next Battle for the Dawn. A song isn't just a song in this series, it's a story, an ode. Bards were singers, poets, and storytellers, and the ones in Westeros will definitely be telling this story.

I don't think it's an actual song that's already been written. It's been said (By GRRM I think) that "a song of ice and fire" is how future Westerosi will refer to what happens with the next Battle for the Dawn. A song isn't just a song in this series, it's a story, an ode. Bards were singers, poets, and storytellers, and the ones in Westeros will definitely be telling this story.

Agreed. Based on this, do you think the final epilogue will be some sort of flash forward where something along these lines is put forward?

I absolutely agree that the events we are reading about now will be referred to as the song of ice and fire in the future. That being said, it appears that Rhaegar either made up the song or knows of it when Dany sees him in the House of the Undying:

“He has a song,” the man replied. “He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire.” He looked up when he said it and his eyes met Dany, and it seemed as if he saw her standing there beyond the door. “There must be one more,” he said, though whether he was speaking to her or the woman in bed she could not say. “The dragon has three heads.” Dany CoC

It is mentioned that Rhaegar was a bookish youth who, after reading some text, was convinced that he was the promised prince, born amidst salt and smoke, and his purpose was to fight a great evil. At some point he becomes convinced that his son the the prince that was promised and that the dragon needs three heads.

I think that the original song of ice and fire is either the text Rhaegar read that changed the course of his life or Rhaegar putting together multiple prophesies that he believes his son(s) will fulfill.

Archived