Who will kill Gregor Clegane?

Woman of War

After rewatching that FIGHT in episode 8 I just realized who will kill Gregor or whatever he is now.

It won't be Sandor. We even do not know if Sandor is still alive or if he is at least meant to have a very different arc from being a killer again. I would indeed love it if he made a 180 degree turn with his life but this is only my personal preference and not what I want to mention here.

"Elia Martell: You murdered her, you raped her, you killed her children....."

Who is more "entitled" by plot logic to kill THAT than one of Oberyn's daughters! This monster killed their father, their aunt, their cousin and cousine.

And I dare to predict that it will be Elia, the Lady Lance, that arrogant difficult child.

It would be an Eowyn vs King of the Nazgul situation, girl against monster, completely hopeless, absurd and unexpected and yet it might happen.

I personally have always wanted a Sand Snake to take out Robert Strong. It would just be, ugh, catharsis. I'm not sure how likely it is, but at this point, I don't personally consider any character most likely to kill RS--we just don't have the information to make a call about that.

Elia Sand would be especially sweet, both because of her namesake and because of her being the first child of Oberyn and Ellaria, but given her age I don't know how plausible is. She was only 14 in ADwD. If any Sand Snakes kill Robert Strong, I think it will be Nym and Tyene working in tandem, spurred on by their rage that Gregor Clegane--in some form--is obviously still walking around King's Landing. Mind you, they wouldn't attack RS head on, but I could see them investigating his origins and assassinating Qyburn as a way to try to kill him. Kill the necromancer, kill the necromanced sort of a deal.

Elia as the killer of Elia's killer would be ironic. I like Tyene, though. She's supposed to be an insider with the Faith so she could be involved in the Faith's Champion process, or even deactivating Robert Strong before the trial begins, maybe by killing Qyburn. Plus she's right there, where Elia's still in Dorne.

It's all pretty iffy, though.

A lot of people want Sandor to return from exile and kill him, personally I don't want to see him again, George came up with the perfect ending for him. I imagine that like the Wights, he can now only be defeated by fire, perhaps a pyromancer accident if Cersei tries to emulate Aerys? That would be a pretty amusing way for this unbeatable, immortal, supreme warrior to die; in a cock-up.

GRRM wont go for what the fans want, so that is pretty much a no to the Sand Snakes. Sandor is pretty much dead and it isn't GRRM's style to bring a character back from the dead to fight again in the nick of time for glory Gandalf-style. If I had to say, I'd think Cersei will do it. Her own immortal monster killed by her would fit here downhill arc.

nd I dare to predict that it will be Elia, the Lady Lance, that arrogant difficult child.

It would be an Eowyn vs King of the Nazgul situation, girl against monster, completely hopeless, absurd and unexpected and yet it might happen.

I swear this morning I had the same though, when considering that in show

there is a small little chance Arianne might be cut

Maybe Aegon ends up falling for Lady Lance in books.

A lot of people want Sandor to return from exile and kill him, personally I don't want to see him again, George came up with the perfect ending for him

A fairly happy ending for a character, and with two books still left to go in the series - does that sound at all like GRRM to you?

Sandor, aka The Gravedigger, has unfinished business with his brother. He's going to come out of hiding once he has healed up, or be driven out by circumstance; Sandor will eventually fight Robert Strong and kill him for keeps.

I swear this morning I had the same though, when considering that in show

there is a small little chance Arianne might be cut

Maybe Aegon ends up falling for Lady Lance in books.

Huh! I never thought of Aegon falling for a Sand Snake before. That'd be an interesting turn on the Arianne/Aegon match many take for granted.

It's possible, considering

according to Elia Sand's wiki page, in Arianne's TWoW spoiler chapter Elia is going with her cousin to meet Jon Connington.

I'm not sure who will put an end to Ser Robert Strong, but I can think of one way to do it that would permanently 'kill'him. Wildfire. We know that there is plenty of it in Kings Landing, and not just the stocks held by the Pyromancers. If un-Gregor were to be drenched in it and flame applied then his body would almost certainly be destroyed beyond even Qyburn's skills.

Huh! I never thought of Aegon falling for a Sand Snake before. That'd be an interesting turn on the Arianne/Aegon match many take for granted.

It's possible, considering

according to Elia Sand's wiki page, in Arianne's TWoW spoiler chapter Elia is going with her cousin to meet Jon Connington.

Exactly

Arianne is -and the readers- overconfident that she won't screw up and maybe, set up a marriage alliance, although that, most readers than her. She knows she can't match Connington with words only so, she might try to "charm" Aegon, but the irony would be that he rather chooses the young girl who is named after his own mother

'Fairly happy ending' for Sandor Clegane? I don't think living out the rest of his days as a gravedigger on the Quiet Isle counts as a 'fairly happy ending.' He has lost his chances to have a relationship (romantic or otherwise) with his 'little bird' Sansa, he has lost his chances to get revenge on his brother, and he has lost what he loves doing most: killing. I don't think this is a happy ending for Sandor; I think it would be a happy ending for Sandor if he WERE to get revenge on Gregor, like you suggest.

(My reply is to fangirl000, forgive me if it doesn't work, my computer hates me at the moment.)

I think it will likely be Qyburn after Robert Strong wins Cersei's trial and therefore has no further need of him.

Surely having an undead tank isn't something either Qyburn or Cersei are going to be willing to give up after the trial is over? Robert Strong is gonna be around until something else kills it, I'd reckon.

Exactly

Arianne is -and the readers- overconfident that she won't screw up and maybe, set up a marriage alliance, although that, most readers than her. She knows she can't match Connington with words only so, she might try to "charm" Aegon, but the irony would be that he rather chooses the young girl who is named after his own mother

For sure, for sure. He's definitely shown that he doesn't mind doing what he wants against Jon's counsel. Going for who he wants as wife and queen could just be another example of that.

Archived