What is the True Significance of the Iron Born Religion?

KingMaekarWasHere

While some may have a firm grasp on the significance of Rhollar/Rhollor, the Old Gods, and the Seven where does the Drowned God fit in? Some have said that he is in fact the Great Other who will resurrect more dead things from below the waves. But the Iron Born faith remains just as mysterious as the other faiths if not more so, because so few people believe in the Drowned God. And considering the first Iron Born people likely were First Men, why did they not respect the Weirwoods and the Children while the Mainlanders did? Feel free to comment. ;)

Hard to say. The Drowned God is supposedly countered by the Storm God. But these aren't really fleshed out in the text. The only thing I remember about the Storm God of legend is that he kept knocking down Storm's End until the Storm King finally built with magic.

While ice is one obvious counterpoint to the fire of R'hllorism I'd say water is a better one. I would expect a Mel vs Ironborn confrontation. Not sure she really speaks for all of her religion. She seems rather like a rogue to me.

If there even is a Great Other I figure he's a king, or general of the Others, not a god in any way.

ETA: regarding the weirwoods and the CotF, those are a land-based religion, whereas the Ironborn follow a water-based one. All the elements are in play in the series.

Hmmm. Well it wasn't Storm God who destroyed the Storm's End. It was god of sea and goddess of wind. It seems like water is the counterpart of air. Storm God reminds me Bloodraven, ravens are his creatures, sendimg winds and stuff. Ok there is not that much similarity :p

Hmmm. Well it wasn't Storm God who destroyed the Storm's End. It was god of sea and goddess of wind. It seems like water is the counterpart of air. Storm God reminds me Bloodraven, ravens are his creatures, sendimg winds and stuff. Ok there is not that much similarity :P

Well the bloodraven did tell Bran in the first book that Bran had to live to fight the evil heart of winter and "save the world," so the Drowned God could definitely be evil in whatever form it exists. "What is dead may never die but rises harder and stronger," sounds a bit strange to me.

Some have said that he is in fact the Great Other who will resurrect more dead things from below the waves.

Well, yes. Rh'llor, the Drowned God, and the Great Other all seem to be in the Zombie business. It is possible to suspect that all 3 are different aspects of the same demonic evil, or different minions of the same demonic nemesis, whose goal is the destruction of the world.

Archived