Historical Parallels: John Ball The Hedge Priest and The High Sparrow.

RedShirt47

I watched a documentary on BBC the other week about John Ball sometimes called a Hedge Priest. He wandered the land preaching against the nobility and church establishment seeking more rights for the small folk.
More details here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ball_%28priest%29

He was a leading figure in the Peasants Revolt of 1381.
More details:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peasants%27_Revolt

This revolt sacked London and they killed the several leading members of the nobility and the church. King Richard II (a young arrogant and vicious king with some Historical Parallels to Joffrey) had to deal with them. He did so brutally as was the way of things then.

Obviously with GRRM the High Sparrow is not an analogy or a direct copy of John Ball but I do see some inspiration and Historical Parallels.

I found it interesting and thought others might too...

This revolt sacked London and they killed the several leading members of the nobility and the church. King Richard II (a young arrogant and vicious king with some Historical Parallels to Joffrey) had to deal with them. He did so brutally as was the way of things then.

Well, I always theorized that Margaery's trial will go haywire. Which would result in the death of Margaery, Mace and several other important Tyrell supporters when the FM and the Tyrells clash in the street. Tommen would be assassinated by the Sand Snakes, who in turn would get killed by Robert Strong. Cersei would then flee the city for CR and crown Myrcella Queen.

My impression is that the High Sparrow is not seeking to overthrow the social order, as such, (the Warrior's Sons are nobles, he is willing to crown Tommen on conditions) but he is outraged by the oppressive behaviour of the nobility.

My impression is that the High Sparrow is not seeking to overthrow the social order, as such, (the Warrior's Sons are nobles, he is willing to crown Tommen on conditions) but he is outraged by the oppressive behaviour of the nobility.

As soon as Aegon is known, he'll try and rally as many peasants to his cause. Which could possibly cause Cersei to try and burn KL again.

Archived