Why is Melisandre considered evil?

Khal in the North!

First of all, let me draw a line that clearly separates this world from Planetos.

{snipped}

She is very coherent into putting these sacrifices within the framework of achieving a higher Good for everyone, and this reassembles Macchiavelli's teachings.

IMHO she can't be compared to Hitler at all. The latter had based is fanaticism onto notions on race that are known to be complete falsehood, the evil deeds he persuaded were not meant to achieve a greater good for the whole society but only for those that by right-of-birth belonged to a lucky minority of population. He was a mad man all in all, nothing more nothing less.

I would rather compare Melisandre deeds with those of first Christians preaching across Europe, or those of Muslims during their first expansion. {snippage}

But, aren't we clearly separating this world from Planetos?

In Melisandre perspective burning people might not only be a 'necessary evil' but a fully 'good deed'. She has been in fact charged from her own God to stand against an impeding threat coming from Winter Lands that is going to wipe out the entire humanity. We know that threat is real, what we do not know is whether her God is real, we know the sacrifices have power that help her cause (e.g. the wind that pushed them to the north) but we do not know if overall the burnings are compulsory or just accessory to achieving the goal of saving the world.

I'm not sure that we know "in fact" that she has been charged from her own god to do anything. That is what she believes, true. But what a person believes can sometimes be very very different from a fact, or from the truth.

I'm not sure that we know that Mel's "magic" contributed in any way to any event where she was involved. There's plenty of room for doubt that her leeches had any effect on the 3 kings and I think there is plenty of room for doubt that she called up that wind.

I'm not even sure that we can be positive that the threat from the Others is real, or if it is a threat at all. The most that people in Westeros of the present know - if they think about the Others at all - are extremely old tales. Who's to say how much of those stories have been embroidered or misinterpreted or misunderstood over the hundreds of years since the Others or the White Walkers have even been glimpsed? Are they all 100% true and accurate? We don't know.

The Night's Watch thought (and still thinks, in some cases) that the wildlings were the ultimate enemy, but once we met them up close, we found out that it wasn't that way at all. It might be the same with the Others. I think we just can't know for sure yet.

That's another thing that worries me about Melisandre: she thinks she has all the answers. I'm not sure she even knows what the questions are.

• 2 weeks later...

But, aren't we clearly separating this world from Planetos?

I did not say you didn't. I just wanted to do it in my post before lining out my argument.

I'm not sure that we know "in fact" that she has been charged from her own god to do anything. That is what she believes, true. But what a person believes can sometimes be very very different from a fact, or from the truth.

Whether or not it's factual, it's completely irrelevant.

Once you can say that it's certain she believes in all true honesty to be in charge of her own god - and we can do it because we have her own PoV - you can no longer question her sincerity on that aspect.

You can debate whether or not her God is evil, or whether or not she is *mad* for believing such a thing, but you can not label her as evil since she is no more than an empty shell, an instrument of an 'outer' will - her God.

I'm not sure that we know that Mel's "magic" contributed in any way to any event where she was involved. There's plenty of room for doubt that her leeches had any effect on the 3 kings and I think there is plenty of room for doubt that she called up that wind.

Yeah sure, but leeches were not the only magic spells she did. Shadow Baby was quite real thing ALAS.

I'm not even sure that we can be positive that the threat from the Others is real, or if it is a threat at all. The most that people in Westeros of the present know - if they think about the Others at all - are extremely old tales. Who's to say how much of those stories have been embroidered or misinterpreted or misunderstood over the hundreds of years since the Others or the White Walkers have even been glimpsed? Are they all 100% true and accurate? We don't know.

And now we are just getting idiotic. The others are killing human beings for not apparent reasons since the beginning of the books, tormund clearly said they are being constantly being attacked on a daily basis and have barely any strength to defend themselves. They even killed people right in front of our eyes in some chapters. But of course let's throw in the rubbish can all things that are known on the account of the others, let's ignore all facts and clues and notions because nothing is reliable in the era of absolute relativism any more!

Of course if you blind yourself first you can don't know whatever you want. If you've never been to Jupiter nor seen it in a telescope you can even deny it exists with this kind of attitude.

The Night's Watch thought (and still thinks, in some cases) that the wildlings were the ultimate enemy, but once we met them up close, we found out that it wasn't that way at all. It might be the same with the Others. I think we just can't know for sure yet.

It's clearly different.

Men put up a wall high 200 feet high to defend themselves from the greatest threat ever known. Along the course of the centuries the Others seemed to have disappeared, leaving beyond the wall only wildlings. Arrogant people would just doubt they ever existed, then preach they've never existed and suddenly people had to give a new meaning to the Wall existence, and that was found into the wildlings as being identified as threat -- because they did do some minor village pillaging and raids. As if any civilization would ever build a 200 feet high wall to keep out humans. Romans, Chinese, Germany.. they all felt a way lower wall was more than sufficient to keep out human beings, which are a moderate threat at worst.

Again, this to me sounds like nothing less than Absolute Relativism as result of being in denial.

That's another thing that worries me about Melisandre: she thinks she has all the answers. I'm not sure she even knows what the questions are.

And that's the only point I can agree upon.

But ALAS there's plenty of people like that in the world, and that ain't a point that is gonna make her any more evil or good. Just dumber.

Archived