Why is Melisandre considered evil?

Khal in the North!

Yep, having your essence drained to fuel magic you hope is used to benefit you sure is worth it. She's not using a glamour either right?

Don't care

One-shot kill your traitor usurper brother winning a desperate war (wich include keep being alive) you have almost no hope to win, magicfucking a ginger version of Irina Shayk

Your argument is invalid

Answer: prejudiced point-of-view characters.

The fact is, Maester Cressen, Davos Seaworth and Jon Snow are all very likeable, but they have an incorrect and biased view of Melisandre, which has transferred over to a great many readers.

I''m fine with Melisandre killing Maester Cressen, as the person in turn was trying to kill her.

I''m fine with Melisandre killing Maester Cressen, as the person in turn was trying to kill her.

Melisandre did not kill Maester Cressen. He committed suicide. Which she unsuccessfully tried talking him out of. She was also sad after seeing him go through with it.

People fear what they don't understand, she is considered evil by the virtue of being different, as Americans would call it religious intolerance, and that is it.

We are thrust in this quasi-medieval world with established quasi-spiritual paganism and quasi-Catholicism from which we don't see much and then crazy, human-sacrificing fire cult shows up and we are expected to be rappelled, but truth is different, Old Gods require human sacrifices, Drowned God too, and although Seven doesn't have them in theology we find out about Faith militant and fanaticism and how murder-happy they are.

So Mel, devoted believer of strange religion, not evil, just culture-shock.

Answer: prejudiced point-of-view characters.

The fact is, Maester Cressen, Davos Seaworth and Jon Snow are all very likeable, but they have an incorrect and biased view of Melisandre, which has transferred over to a great many readers.

Agree completely.

Thar being said, Mel gets a bad rap because she killed Renly and the Maester and because Davos does not like her.

It was Cressen that tried to murder her, she was offering him the chance to put the cup down and walk away, but he was insistent.

She has zero compassion for those who see the world differently than her,

That's not true.

Devan's exclusion must have seemed a rebuke, a punishment for some failure on his part, or perhaps for some failure of his father. In truth, he was here because Melisandre had asked for him. The four eldest sons of Davos Seaworth had perished in the battle on the Blackwater, when the king's fleet had been consumed by green fire. Devan was the fifthborn and safer here with her than at the king's side. Lord Davos would not thank her for it, no more than the boy himself, but it seemed to her that Seaworth had suffered enough grief.

Davos is constantly arguing against her, he tried to kill her, and he smuggled Edric away, yet here she is doing something kind for him anyway.

The reason she's seen as evil is because she uses dark magic, and burns people alive, for magical purposes.

There's more to her than that, of course. Her aims are benevolent. She's not an inquisitor, who burns someone alive because of obscure theological disagreements. She really has identified a threat to the human race, and thinks that any means is justified to destroy that threat. As she shows by trying to talk Cressen out of poisoning her, forgiving Davos for trying to kill her, and sparing Davos's son from battle, there is a compassionate side to her.

I don't find her evil, but rather misguided but I guess lots of people in history thought they were doing the right things but were still doing horrific things

However I dont like her, and wish Stannis would get rid of her. But I hate all religious fanatics (thats why I also HATE HS and Moqorro).

Plus even though Aemon is wise, it doesnt make him preach the word of truth. He says that Dany is AA, obviously a Targ is going to be bias towards another Targ, so I think he is wrong as well. Do I believe Stannis is AA? No. Do I believe Dany is AA? No.

I kinda hate prophecies as they mess with peoples heads

But it would be pretty interesting if she was now the main POV of the wall

I don't consider her evil, but the fact that she doesn't know that the Old Gods are on her side is a problem. Burning the godswood at Storm's End? And the branches of weirwood after Castle Black?

That's just hurtful.

Most people believe their religion is the only "true" religion. She also burned the Seven, as well. She's very representative of the many people throughout history who have done terrible things in the name of their god.

She is a misguided religious fanatic with blood on her hands (which is kind of evil) that also has some magical powers whether they derrive from a God or not, is trying to help humanity face a great threat which does exist. To me from a moral perspective she is closer to the ends justify the means philosophy than characters like Tywin where the ends are entirely self serving.

I wouldn't call her evil or good, she has both.

Edit: The above observation makes this quote from her about morality pretty interesting and kind of funny:

"If half an onion is black with rot, it is a rotten onion. A man is good or he is evil".

Archived