The Sellsword Companies

Tourney Knight

I think an interesting topic to discuss, that does not seem to have been discussed much, is on the origins of the different sellsword companies. What I ask to you all is, of all those companies that we know about, how long do you think they have been around? Also, what would be the strength of each of them?

I think we do not have to talk about the Golden Company, as we know roughly when it was established, and that it seems to be the largest company around.

Sellsword companies seem to be around for very long periods of time. Some being hundreds of years old, like the Second Sons and the Bright Banners, some fairly new, like Oberyn Martell's (as of yet, un-named) company and the Windblown, which still has it's first commander.

The companies field between hundreds (we see companies of 500-800 men for the Second Sons, Stormcrows, and the Long Lances) and thousands (2,000-3,000 mounted and infantry for the Windblown and the Company of the Cat), but the Golden Company seems to be the upper limit with 10,000 men.

I imagine the companies are split in two types. The whole Cavalry companies like the Storm Crows, Second Sons and Brave Companions, that are smaller in total maxing out at about ~500men, but can travel and fight more flexibly.

Those with infantry would be slower, but also cheaper per head as they don't have to care for as many horses. To be effective though they need a few thousand men to give them a formidable strength.

We often here descriptions of Bravos and Sellswords in pentos. Which leads me to suspect Bravosi mercenaries are probably a bit different too from the standard companies. I imagine like Italian Condottieri.

I know these things from the wiki. What I was trying to get at was guessing when these companies were established. Along with guessing the strength, and possibly the composition, of those which we do not really know about.

The companies likely started forming around the time of the Doom, when the Freehold broke up and there was a need for new armies in the different wars that followed.

Some were formed later on, with some very recently. The companies are usually well mounted, either entirely or partially, and all have a mix of different people in them. Even the Stormcrows, a company of 500 horse, had a dedicated archers component, with it's own commander. We see that even the GC, a company that was founded to keep a bunch of Westerosi together, had over the years shifted to include people from the Summer Isles, Lys and Volantis in thier officer corps, and many others including Bravos in the rest of the company.

The Golden Company being the largest, I doubt other companies have a dedicated elephant corps, and the composition of ~10% cavalry, ~10% archers/crossbowmen, and the other 80% being infantry is definatly not the norm. The Windblown can send 50 patrols of 20 riders each (50x20=1,000 out of 2,000) to the hills to drive back the Astapori refugees, which means that at least half the company is mounted. Both the Windblow and the Company of the Cat send patrols, and both boast that they are faster as a company that the Yunkai'i foot, which means that they likely have mounted infantry as well. Not war horses, but still enuogh to get the company faster from one contract to another, and makes retreats from hopeless odds an option.

The other Sellsowrd companies that have yet to show up are likely the same. Different groups of people, but in the end they look the same. Mounted for speed of movement or even for battle, all have archer components, and all are open to different styles of warfare from Westerosi knights to Bravos and Dothraki Screamers.

Well we know the origins of the CG and im pretty sure no one else will be important from the merc companies since they are all gonna be rekt by dany

How much longer is this misconception of "all sellswords are in Meereen" going to stick around?

Meereen has a total of 5 companies. There are stated to be more than 20 different companies, with the wording suggests that probably more since it was said in a tone of "they would get 10 times more men than you if that's what it takes", not a "they would get all the sellswords if that's what it takes".

We know the names of companies that have yet to show up, and we know that there are at least a dozen more. Other than there being more companies, most sellswords are hired in small groups or individually.

With the text giving us a pool of companies, some named, and the Iron Bank hiring 20,000 men for Stannis, I realy don't see how one can say that the companies are not going to play a role in the next books.

We often here descriptions of Bravos and Sellswords in pentos. Which leads me to suspect Bravosi mercenaries are probably a bit different too from the standard companies. I imagine like Italian Condottieri.

Nope, the standard companies are basically Italian Condottieri.

I always thought the Brave Companions were not that old as a company.

Probably not. There isn't a single hint that they are older than Vargo Hoat.

Probably not. There isn't a single hint that they are older than Vargo Hoat.

Were'nt they mentioned to exist sometime around that first unsullied battle against the Dotraki? I thought that Jorah mentioned them as being part of the battle of Qohor, but of course I could be wrong.

Were'nt they mentioned to exist sometime around that first unsullied battle against the Dotraki? I thought that Jorah mentioned them as being part of the battle of Qohor, but of course I could be wrong.

I think it was the Second Sons and another company, I'm not sure which but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the Brave Companions.

Archived