The true danger of Gerold Dayne

OberynBlackfyre

The best I could come up reading this is that GD is doran, oberyn and elia's 1/2 brother. Avery's knocked up Dorians mothers. He has vipers eyes like oberyn and similar temperament traits from their mother and dark purple eyes like a targ. Lord Martell sent him away after his birth

The best I could come up reading this is that GD is doran, oberyn and elia's 1/2 brother. Avery's knocked up Dorians mothers. He has vipers eyes like oberyn and similar temperament traits from their mother and dark purple eyes like a targ. Lord Martell sent him away after his birth

If that's the case it's more likely that the reason Oberyn never married Ellaria is that he has a wife already somewhere and their son Gerold was adopted by the Daynes of High Hermitage.

"They" have spoken and said that Gerold is not a bastard, so his parents must have been married.

If that's the case it's more likely that the reason Oberyn never married Ellaria is that he has a wife already somewhere and their son Gerold was adopted by the Daynes of High Hermitage.

"They" have spoken and said that Gerold is not a bastard, so his parents must have been married.

And, why would his son had to be adopted by the Daynes? What is such a danger of being Oberyn's son?

Remarried a Dayne after Lord Martell's death? Dorne has a different culture then the rest of westeros, this could leave him in some sort line of secession for Sunspear then.

And, why would his son had to be adopted by the Daynes? What is such a danger of being Oberyn's son?

Don't have that part figured out yet. Here's a good reason for someone else to raise his son though: he's Oberyn Martell. Not to mention how young he would have been at the time the kid was born. No way was he ready to settle down and raise kids.

Wouldn't have to be danger, could be a matter of convenience. And if the boy's mother is a Dayne, it would make sense that the child be raised by the Daynes.

Ooh! I've got it! Oberyn married the girl without his mother's approval so the whole thing had to be hidden.

Remarried a Dayne after Lord Martell's death? Dorne has a different culture then the rest of westeros, this could leave him in some sort line of secession for Sunspear then.

You mean the Princess of Dorne, mother of Doran etc, married a Dayne after her husband died? Unlikely. We'd know about that. No reason to hide it from the readers. And even if that were the case, Gerold would still come after Doran and and kids in the line of succession.

i dunno know blood for blood you know them yronwoods :D

That would be a valid point, but all 9 of Oberyn's children were left safe. And not just that, but we haven't heard any actual retaliation against Oberyn for all of his life.

Don't have that part figured out yet. Here's a good reason for someone else to raise his son though: he's Oberyn Martell. Not to mention how young he would have been at the time the kid was born. No way was he ready to settle down and raise kids.

Wouldn't have to be danger, could be a matter of convenience. And if the boy's mother is a Dayne, it would make sense that the child be raised by the Daynes.

Ooh! I've got it! Oberyn married the girl without his mother's approval so the whole thing had to be hidden.

Obara is only couple of years younger, or even the same age as Darkstar, and Oberyn took her. Than, if his mother was a Dayne, he wouldn't have a Dayne name. Also, convenience? Oberyn raised 9 children, that sounds much less convenient than raising one?

So, what if he married the girl without her mother's approval? Did Lannisters need Cat's approval to marry Sansa to Tyrion? And if that was hidden, how kid got the legitimate name? He would be a Sand if the marriage of his parents is some great secret...

People, you simply need to think this a bit better... All these scenarios are rather invalid and contradict all we know about Oberyn and customs in Westeros.

<snip

Obara is only couple of years younger, or even the same age as Darkstar, and Oberyn took her. Than, if his mother was a Dayne, he wouldn't have a Dayne name. Also, convenience? Oberyn raised 9 children, that sounds much less convenient than raising one?

So, what if he married the girl without her mother's approval? Did Lannisters need Cat's approval to marry Sansa to Tyrion? And if that was hidden, how kid got the legitimate name? He would be a Sand if the marriage of his parents is some great secret...

People, you simply need to think this a bit better... All these scenarios are rather invalid and contradict all we know about Oberyn and customs in Westeros.

I think Obara might actually be older. Yes, he would have the Dayne name if a member of house Dayne was raising him as their own legitimate child.

Oberyn raised nine children? Really? Where is the text telling us about those midnight feedings and diaper changes when his girls were little? How about the touching stories of how he kissed all their boo boos? We don't know that HE actually raised them. We know he was part of their lives but that is not the same thing as "raising" them. If he allowed his son to be adopted by someone else, he would have stayed away.

I was talking about Oberyn's mother, The Princess of Dorne. Him marrying someone without her approval could be a very big deal, and a very big problem. Especially as she might still have been trying to get him betrothed to Cersei Lannister at that point.

I actually don't think he's Oberyn's son. Just providing a bit of support for the other theorists.

I always figured he proved why he was the "Most dangerous man in Dorne" when he tried to cut the head off the Princess of the 7K's in front of a fuckton of witnesses. He simply didn't give a fuck about the consequences and that's dangerous.

This makes sense as well. After all, if this guy is basically an agent of chaos, who would take a sword to anyone and at least seems to have the skills to back it up, he could be considered dangerous to innocents, dangerous to peace, dangerous to House Martell, etc.

According to Jaime Lannister...

“Every great lord has unruly bannermen who envy him his place,” he told her afterward. “My father had the Reynes and Tarbecks, the Tyrells have the Florents, Hoster Tully had Walder Frey. Only strength keeps such men in their place. The moment they smell weakness … during the Age of Heroes, the Boltons used to flay the Starks and wear their skins as cloaks.”

Which house in Dorne might fall into this category? House Dayne?

I was thinking Yronwood, but Darkstar could certainly qualify. Seems like he might have trouble following orders.

IMO if any Dornish house causes trouble it would be the Yronwoods over the Daynes of High Hermitage, but that doesn't mean Darkstar might not go rogue. His cruel and reticent nature is the true danger...what is his next move possibly going to be?

I keep forgetting to link this here, but I've got a theory on Darkstar being the next Vulture King (and maybe striving towards Dornish independence...why not). For anyone who's interested: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/118253-dornish-debates-iii-of-kings-and-courts/?p=6305608

IMO if any Dornish house causes trouble it would be the Yronwoods over the Daynes of High Hermitage, but that doesn't mean Darkstar might not go rogue. His cruel and reticent nature is the true danger...what is his next move possibly going to be?

I keep forgetting to link this here, but I've got a theory on Darkstar being the next Vulture King (and maybe striving towards Dornish independence...why not). For anyone who's interested: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/118253-dornish-debates-iii-of-kings-and-courts/?p=6305608

I'll check that out. I don't even remember the story of the Vulture King.

I have a crackpot that has GD being the most dangerous man in Dorne is because he knows that the Targaryen kids were hidden there temporarily between homes.

Archived