With flashbacks being confirmed for the show, what are the odds we see Robb again?

Robb_Warged

I want to see flashbacks of - Rhaegar crowning Lyanna, Lyanna eloping with Rhaegar, The Tower of Joy, etc

I'd like to see those scenes too, but is that really something the show would reveal before GRRM reveals it in the books? I don't see it happening... The books are littered with hints about Jon's true identity, but there hasn't been a single clue in the show to foreshadow that revelation.

I'd like to see those scenes too, but is that really something the show would reveal before GRRM reveals it in the books?

Unless GRRM reveals Jon's true identity in TWOW and publishes TWOW before season 6, the answer to that question is "yes".

Depending on how it's revealed, though, I would not expect any flashbacks to things like the Tower of Joy (at least in the sense of the showdown with the knights), as they aren't really relevant. The Harrenhal stuff would be expensive to do well, as well.

The books are littered with hints about Jon's true identity, but there hasn't been a single clue in the show to foreshadow that revelation.

There has been some set-up. Ned's caginess about Jon's mother was brought up several times in season 1 - Jon even asked Ned about it point blank and Ned dodged. The show definitely established that there was a mystery there. And the fact of Jon growing up in Winterfell is weird - it was established that Catelyn didn't like it, and we know that Robert's bastards stayed with their mothers. That implies that Jon's mysterious mother is dead or otherwise indisposed.

And we get two versions of the Rhaegar / Lyanna story in the show. Robert tells the story of her rape in season 1, but Oberyn tells the story of Rhaegar abandoning his wife to run off with her in season 4.

And Melissandre, who we know was very interested in Gendry because he was a king's bastard, was looking very intently at Jon in 4x10. And further, we know that Melissandre's interest in Jon isn't just Ned's blood, since she wasn't interested in Arya's blood, only her creepy future.

It isn't much, but it is something.

• 2 weeks later...

When I first read that they confirmed they were going to do flashbacks, I was almost positive Bran would be the gateway to these flashbacks. Then, I read that Bran would not appear in the next season and I was really bummed. What better way to establish Bran's apprenticeship under the three eyed crow and his new budding greenseer power then to have him look into the past of these characters. Two birds one stone. I mean it was already established in the book series that Bran could look into the past via the trees (I think it was all trees and that the heartrees just come easier to him.) Am I the only one who feels this way?

When I first read that they confirmed they were going to do flashbacks, I was almost positive Bran would be the gateway to these flashbacks. Then, I read that Bran would not appear in the next season and I was really bummed. What better way to establish Bran's apprenticeship under the three eyed crow and his new budding greenseer power then to have him look into the past of these characters. Two birds one stone. I mean it was already established in the book series that Bran could look into the past via the trees (I think it was all trees and that the heartrees just come easier to him.) Am I the only one who feels this way?

The thing is that the most likely flashbacks are almost certainly very personal to each character getting them (Cersei's valonquar, Jamie saying bye to Rhae-Rhae in King's Landing before the Battle of the Trident, maybe Mel's past...) which would make it very hard to show them through Bran... seeing as Bran would only see the things that happened in the near vicinity of the trees.

We have no idea what the show will do, they are putting Jaime in Dorne(makes no sense)which really cuts out the riverlands storyline. The show runners is so worry about budget, they will not concentrate on flashbacks with Robb and Cat, because they are focusing on Dorne, Cersie, and Mareen storylines.

The proposed flashbacks may only be around Cersei for this season. Any surrounding Dany may simply be re-cycled scenes, if they're used at all.

I can't see Robb/Cat happening. That may be chopped to someone waving a piece of paper. "This was our King's wish." What need is there to show Robb and Cat arguing over a King's decision? Think from the show perspective. It undermines Robb. So we know Cat was headstrong. It's been shown. If D&D go with a Robb return, he's the one to wave the piece of paper. "This.... is my decree." That sounds like something later on, maybe late s06 or s07.

Perhaps, when it's time to reveal Jon's identity, which I don't see this coming season, that could be told better in a flashback. Start with Howland Reed telling the tale - dissolve.... (That's something else GOT stayed away from.) D&D bow to fan wishes to actually see Rhaegar and Lyanna? Does that sound more like something that's in A DREAM OF SPRING?

Just had an extra thought on this. Maybe this is a series of scenes following Jon's final demise. He dies courageously not knowing who he is. What would it be? The Great Battle Of Winter? Howland Reed could arrive in time to fight at Jon's side, perhaps. It's a time for another Age Of Heroes, perhaps, or final Dance With Dragons?

I agree with the show focusing more on Cersie is season, show runners are really going deep in her feast and dance story arc. I also agree with you in regards to Howland Reed, he is the dark horse in the whole series in my opinion. because he was involve in the Hanranhell tournament story, tower of joy event, and he still has not showed up in all five books.

Archived