US Politics: midterm elections are nigh: do you know where your voting rights are?

DanteGabriel

By the way, prince, Nestor and Inigima have both made substantive replies to your assertions about the fuckedness of Detroit and Chicago. It would be good form to address those.

http://www.city-journal.org/2012/22_2_chicago.html

Begin with Chicago’s population decline during the 2000s, an exodus of more than 200,000 people that wiped out the previous decade’s gains. Of the 15 largest cities in the United States in 2010, Chicago was the only one that lost population; indeed, it suffered the second-highest total loss of any city, sandwiched between first-place Detroit and third-place, hurricane-wrecked New Orleans. While New York’s and L.A.’s populations clocked in at record highs in 2010, Chicago’s dropped to a level not seen since 1910. Chicago is also being “Europeanized,” with poorer minorities leaving the center of the city and forced to its inner suburbs: 175,000 of those 200,000 lost people were black.

Cook County treasurer Maria Pappas estimates that within the city of Chicago, there’s a stunning $63,525 in total local government liabilities per household. Not all of this is city debt; the region’s byzantine political structure includes many layers of government, including hundreds of local taxing districts. But pensions for city workers alone are $12 billion underfunded. If benefits aren’t reduced, the city will have to increase its contributions to the pension fund by $710 million a year for the next 50 years, according to the Civic Federation. Chicago’s annual budget, too, has been structurally out of balance, running an annual deficit of about $650 million in recent years.

This:

What accounts for Chicago’s miserable performance in the 2000s? The fiscal mess is the easiest part to account for: it is the result of poor leadership and powerful interest groups that benefit from the status quo. Public-union clout is literally written into the state constitution, which prohibits the diminution of state employees’ retirement benefits. Tales of abuse abound, such as the recent story of two lobbyists for a local teachers’ union who, though they had never held government jobs, obtained full government pensions by doing a single day of substitute teaching apiece.

and there's plenty more from that article... Which I will post when I get a chance. If I don't post it here a few of you will say there is nothing in the article or its a "bs"

source.

More...

Chicago, however, isn’t the epicenter of any important macro-industry, so it lacks this wealth-generation engine. It has some specialties, such as financial derivatives and the design of supertall skyscrapers, but they’re too small to drive the city. The lack of a calling-card industry that can generate huge returns is perhaps one reason Chicago’s per-capita GDP is so low. It also means that there aren’t many people who have to be in Chicago to do business. Plenty of financiers have to settle in New York, lots of software engineers must move to Silicon Valley, but few people will pay any price or bear any burden for the privilege of doing business in Chicago.

Another reason for Chicago’s troubles is that its business climate is terrible, especially for small firms. When the state pushed through the recent tax increases, certain big businesses had the clout to negotiate better deals for themselves. For example, the financial exchanges threatened to leave town until the state legislature gave them a special tax break, with an extension of a tax break for Sears thrown in for good measure. And so the deck seems to be stacked against the little guys, who get stuck with the bill while the big boys are plied with favors and subsidies.

Inigima touched on this corruption earlier..

It also hurts small businesses that Chicago operates under a system called “aldermanic privilege.” Matters handled administratively in many cities require a special ordinance in Chicago, and ordinances affecting a specific council district—called a “ward” in Chicago—can’t be passed unless the city council member for that ward, its “alderman,” signs off. One downside of the system is that, as the Chicago Reader reported, over 95 percent of city council legislation is consumed by “ward housekeeping” tasks. More important is that it hands the 50 aldermen nearly dictatorial control over what happens in their wards, from zoning changes to sidewalk café permits. This dumps political risk onto the shoulders of every would-be entrepreneur, who knows that he must stay on the alderman’s good side to be in business. It’s also a recipe for sleaze: 31 aldermen have been convicted of corruption since 1970.

Chicago’s notorious corruption interferes with attempts to fix things. Since 1970, 340 officials in Chicago and Cook County have been convicted of corruption. So have three governors. The corruption has been bipartisan: both Governor George Ryan, a Republican, and Governor Rod Blagojevich, a Democrat, are currently in federal prison. A recent study named Chicago the most corrupt city in the United States.

And these are exactly the kind of hip, high-end businesses that the city claims to want. Who else stands a chance if even they get caught in a regulatory quagmire? As Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce CEO Jerry Roper has noted, “unnecessary and burdensome regulation” puts Chicago “at a competitive disadvantage with other cities.” Companies also fear Cook County’s litigation environment, which the U.S. Chamber of Commerce has called the most unfair and unreasonable in the country. It’s not hard to figure out why Chief Executiveranked Illinois 48th on its list of best states in which to do business.

Next is to improve the business climate by reforming governance and rules. This includes curtailing aldermanic privilege, shrinking the overly large city council, and radically pruning regulations. Emanuel has already gotten some votes of confidence from the city’s business community, recently announcing business expansions with more than 8,000 jobs, though they’re mostly from big corporate players.

A few of you should read these words daily until the stick...

You can’t address your problems if everyone is terrified of stepping out of line and admitting that they exist.

One more and I'm done with Chicago....

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/recycled/2008/12/why_is_chicago_so_corrupt.html

"Chicago moved to a one party system that made it even more vulnerable to corruption: the cities last republican mayor left office in 1931. Today, not even the democratic primaries are competitive- for the most part, once you're on office, you stay there. The weak campaign finance laws in Illinois probably helped to stave off competition in recent years."

83 years of liberal management and look at what they've accomplished. And if you still don't get it, politics are not your thing.

(Drops mike, walks off)

Anything to say in your own words prince?

Because from where I'm sitting it looks like you just searched the internet until you found something that confirmed the opinions you'd already puked up and then immediately copied and pasted it. Which is, you know, not a great way to become an informed and thoughtful person.

Might want to pick up that mike and see if it was even plugged in.

Key difference from your own article about the population loss in Chicago as compared to Detroit, which pretty much tanks any comparison:

Chicago is also being “Europeanized,” with poorer minorities leaving the center of the city and forced to its inner suburbs: 175,000 of those 200,000 lost people were black.

Whereas in Detroit, they called it "The Great White Flight" for a reason. The exact opposite happened. Anyone with any experience in both of those two cities would know this. It's telling that you don't.

Now, I'm certainly not denying Chicago's got problems with corruption (and budget). Don't get me started on some of it's public schools. But it has always had those problems. This isn't something new. And the creepy thing is that for the most part, the city still works pretty darn well*. And since it's always had them, your articles do nothing to prove that liberal policies have destroyed the city since it's actually experience a huge improvement from 20-30 years ago.

*only less so for the poor and disenfranchised.

Anything to say in your own words prince?

Because from where I'm sitting it looks like you just searched the internet until you found something that confirmed the opinions you'd already puked up and then immediately copied and pasted it. Which is, you know, not a great way to become an informed and thoughtful person.

And the circle goes around and around. You want my words, suttree wants sources. Both have proven you two wrong. You may want to sit somewhere else.

And the circle goes around and around. You want my words, suttree wants sources. Both have proven you two wrong. You may want to sit somewhere else.

Ok, so we'll mark that down as "No, I have nothing to say in my own words. Yes, I did just search for something that confirmed what I had previously puked up and then copied and pasted it."

Sounds good.

Key difference from your own article about the population loss in Chicago as compared to Detroit, which pretty much tanks any comparison:

You know it's bad when blacks leave the inner city because of dems.

But it has always had those problems. This isn't something new.

That's my whole point... Democrats have been doing this for 83 years. Horrendous.

And since it's always had them, your articles do nothing to prove that liberal policies have destroyed the city since it's actually experience a huge improvement from 20-30 years ago.

This is text book delusional. The sources are from 2006 and 2012. Despite your claim (with no source I might add, apparently you need a minimum of infinite) of improvement, it's still a financial shithole.

The truly hilarious part about this is tptwp seems to think if someone writes an op-Ed piece on any given topic that means it's a FACT! Serious question. How long have you been reading the news?

Oh and speaking of what people post, your silence on the results of the investigations and the definitive studies linked on voter fraud is deafening. I've posted it twice for your benefit, learned anything?

Ok, so we'll mark that down as "No, I have nothing to say in my own words. Yes, I did just search for something that confirmed what I had previously puked up and then copied and pasted it."

Sounds good.

I originally spoke in my own words, and then was taunted for not using sources. Used sources, then taunted for not using own words.... The real question is are you ready to cover Detroit!? If rather not have to go through all that again if I don't have to. But you guys asked for it

You know it's bad when blacks leave the inner city because of dems.

No refutation but blatant racism? Check.

Also, using a 2012 article to post 2010 numbers that have since changed. Weak sauce.

Later troll.

The truly hilarious part about this is tptwp seems to think if someone writes an op-Ed piece on any given topic that means it's a FACT!

I've made my case, friend. If those aren't facts, then feel free to dispute them. Both in your own words, and a million sources since I guess that's a new standard you guys just created. Feel free... I'll wait.

I originally spoke in my own words, and then was taunted for not using sources. Used sources, then taunted for not using own words.... The real question is are you ready to cover Detroit!? If rather not have to go through all that again if I don't have to. But you guys asked for it

No no, you were repeatedly asked for specifics. Hilariously you tried to get away with saying- "specifics?! all of the specifics!!" first. Now you've dropped a wall of text from a random site because you think it confirms your previous word-puking.

You have demonstrated no ability to in your own words offer specific criticisms of the policies you feel wrecked Chicago and Detroit. Probably because on this issue, like every other issue I've seen you discuss, you are woefully undereducated and ill-informed.

IBoth in your own words, and a million sources since I guess that's a new standard you guys just created. Feel free... I'll wait.

Please link the post where you detailed in your own words the specific policies and how they impacted those cities. First start with the voter fraud links though. Take your time...I'll wait.

No no, you were repeatedly asked for specifics. Hilariously you tried to get away with saying- "specifics?! all of the specifics!!" first. Now you've dropped a wall of text from a random site because you think it confirms your previous word-puking.

You have demonstrated no ability to in your own words offer specific criticisms of the policies you feel wrecked Chicago and Detroit. Probably because on this issue, like every other issue I've seen you discuss, you are woefully undereducated and ill-informed.

What you are showing now is a common liberal trait. When you can't attack the message, attack the messenger. I was just providing what was asked? Why you so mad?

Please link the post where you detailed in your own words the specific policies and how they impacted those cities. First start with the voter fraud links though. Take your time...I'll wait.

So you don't or can't challenge the links facts? I believe my original answer is still correct! All of them! If you would like to see it, I'm sure you can find it. So...about those facts...

Archived