Rank the Targ Kings

Rank em!

The Greats

1. Aegon I

2. Jaeherys I

Tough call between the two greats but I'll give the nod to the creator of the country. It is tough to top that even though the Dornish war was kind of a debacle.

Good Kings

3. Daeron II

4. Aegon V

5. Viserys II

These guys were all very diligent kings though did not quite achieve the greatness of Aegon I or Jaeherys I. Who knows what could have happened if Viserys lived longer of if Egg's sons weren't dopes.

The Solid Group

6. Aegon III

7. Viserys I

8. Jaeherys II

9. Maekar I

The kings in this group did not possess spectacular gifts but they seemed to do a decent job at holding the realm together during their reigns. It is probably controversial to put Aegon III this high but I think he did a very good job maintaining the realm given the nearly impossible situation he faced after the brutal dance. Viserys I had many charms and he would perhaps be considered a great king if there was no conflict during his realm. Unfortunately, his desire to please everyone and his foolish decisions to remarry and then name Rhaenyra his heir caused lasting damage to the realm. Jaeherys is described as weak but ironically he had more military success then almost any other Targ king. I really have no idea where to put Maekar so this group seems good.

Rollercoaster Kings

10. Baelor I

11. Aerys I

12. Daeron I

13. Maegor I

14. Aegon II

15. Rhaenyra I

The kings (and queen) in this group are some of the most interesting figures in ASIOAF. Baelor, Daeron, and Maegor possessed enormous talent and crippling vices. Probably less so with Aegon and Rhaenyra (I'll count her here since she basically did reign for a time) but their reigns were certainly turbulent. Maegor is an interesting case because he did save the monarchy during his reign and his brother's, but he was also a monster and tyrant. Daeron was a military genius who waged an amazing campaign but it ultimately ended in disaster. Baelor accomplished much good for the smallfolk and started the process of bringing Dorne into the realm but he was also a complete lunatic. Aerys is kind of the oddball here because he doesn't really fit the theme and it's tough to rank him because he didn't actually do much but I'll give him some credit for appointing Bloodraven and not doing anything too crazy. Interesting enough the bottom three people in this group were all forcibly removed from their thrones.

The Garbage Kings

15. Aenys I

16. Aegon IV

17. Aerys II

The worst of the worst. All of these kings did the best they possibly could to destroy the Targaryen monarchy and Aerys finally succeeded at it. I feel bad for Aenys and I suppose you could put him in the group above but his weakness was disastrous.

Curious to see how everyone's rankings. If we include the two "Baratheons" (obviously Tommen is too young) then I would put Robert at 11 below Baelor and Joffrey at 17 above Aerys.

Aegon V was quite possibly the best human being to sit the Iron Throne, but he & his kids are a classic example of "love is the death of honor" - as he was too good a person to set aside his compassion and hold them to their marriage pacts for the good of the realm, which is what stopped him from being a "Great King". It is indeed possible his reforms could have had staying power if he'd actually built the political alliances through marriage he needed to get the Great Houses on his side.

I agree except for Daeron the 1st. He was only ruler for a year or two wasn't he? We have no data to know what kind of a ruler he would have been outside of war. And even though the war was for naught it didn't really cost the realm anything much other than lives which all kings waste in war.

Also he was only very young. That defeat may have taught him the humility he needed to be better at wars and politics.

Also not sure about Rhaenyra either.She never really got to rule.

Aegon V was quite possibly the best human being to sit the Iron Throne, but he & his kids are a classic example of "love is the death of honor" - as he was too good a person to set aside his compassion and hold them to their marriage pacts for the good of the realm, which is what stopped him from being a "Great King". It is indeed possible his reforms could have had staying power if he'd actually built the political alliances through marriage he needed to get the Great Houses on his side.

Egg is a dick. He sentenced my main man to death.

Aegon I is the mack daddy.

It could be argued that Aegon IV, for all his man whoring, did more to proliferate the blood than any of those who superceded him. By the time we get to Aerys II, the royal Targs have dwindled to but a handful. Plus, he's Lord Badass's pops, so there's that....

I agree except for Daeron the 1st. He was only ruler for a year or two wasn't he? We have no data to know what kind of a ruler he would have been outside of war. And even though the war was for naught it didn't really cost the realm anything much other than lives which all kings waste in war.

Also he was only very young. That defeat may have taught him the humility he needed to be better at wars and politics.

He ruled for 4 years only one of which was spent fighting in dorne

The war was a gigantic debacle that killed at least 50k people (probably way more when you include Dornish smallfolk).

I included Rhaenyra because she did get to rule for a brief time when the Blacks took KL and she was extremely bad at it as her paranoia almost cost the Blacks the war and her tyranny helped contribute to the Storming of the Dragonpit.

The war was a gigantic debacle that killed at least 50k people (probably way more when you include Dornish smallfolk).

Well Aegon 1st did the same thing. Aegon was just lucky he did it at the end of his conquering not the start otherwise he may have looked just as bad.

Well Aegon 1st did the same thing. Aegon was just lucky he did it at the end of his conquering not the start otherwise he may have looked just as bad.

At least Aegon had a good faith belief (based on past success) that an overwhelming display of force would bring Dorne into line - even if the the Storm Lords and Kings of the Reach had never been able to do it, he had dragons! It was a reasonable belief - though one proven false.

Daeron (who didn't even have dragons) should have learned from history.

Archived