"All crows are liars" - Old Nan

Arcuda

This is my first thread so try not to flame me too hard ;)

Just tossing an idea out that I haven't seen discussed specifically, but at this point there probably was a thread somewhere. But I first wondered about the possibility that the Three Eyed Raven may not be an ally, maybe he's like the supernatural version of Littlefinger for all we know about him at this point with his own agenda.

This idea was most stark in my mind when I first watched the scene on the TV show where Bran finds the Three Eyed Raven, it stuck out to me that the animated dead cannot enter the cave, and yet 3EC is surrounded by tons of bones. I started to wonder why he would be sitting on a weirwood root throne on a pile of tons of dead bodies. If he is a benevolent ally of the Children of the Forest, and Man in general, then why all the bones? I thought well maybe these are enemies that he vanquished with his magic, but that couldnt be, since the undead cant even enter the cave so there has to be another reason.

Then, after going back and reviewing some of Old Nan's stories, a passage stuck out that made me wonder about the possibility that the Three Eyed Raven may not be Bran's ally:

from GameOfThrones Chapter 24 - Bran:

"Bran watches from his window seat as Rickon plays with the direwolves in the yard below. Shaggydog’s fur has darkened to black and his eyes are fiery-green; Summer has turned to silver-and-smoke with yellow-gold eyes that see everything. Summer is smaller and warier than Grey Wind, but Bran thinks he is the smartest. Bran realizes he is crying; he wants to be down there laughing and running. Bitterly, he declares that the crow in his dream lied about being able to fly.

Old Nan agrees that crows are all liars and offers to tell Bran a story about a crow, but Bran is not in the mood and snaps that he hates her stories. Old Nan explains that the stories are not hers; they are, before her and after her."

Clearly here, Bran is too impatient to listen to her Crow story, I wish he would have, it may apply to the 3ER. I cant think of another place where her telling this story would matter, that crows are liars.

I dont think he would want to warg into Brans younger body in order to continue to go on living, if that were the motivation then why did he work so hard to search out Bran specifically, who is crippled? Or maybe he doesnt want his body, but wants to manipulate Bran for his own end game.

It could be, but I think that might be stretching that one statement by Old Nan too far. As for the bones, aren't those just dead Children of the Forest? There might not be anything bad about that necessarily. It's good that you pointed this out though because I'm now starting to wonder why Bloodraven and the CotF are up there beyond the Wall in the first place.

I like it, i'm not sure if BR is Bran's enemy, but I do see him as a sinister figure when it comes to mankind in general.

"Crows are all liars" I always considered a reference to the history of the Night's Watch, but she was addressing Bran which makes your theory more relevant. But it could still refer to both, after all, BR was LC of the Watch and has his eyes in past events so he knows more than probably any other character.

I like it, i'm not sure if BR is Bran's enemy, but I do see him as a sinister figure when it comes to mankind in general.

"Crows are all liars" I always considered a reference to the history of the Night's Watch, but she was addressing Bran which makes your theory more relevant. But it could still refer to both, after all, BR was LC of the Watch and has his eyes in past events so he knows more than probably any other character.

I agree, she's very specific that ALL crows are liars so I am pretty sure that the history of the Nights Watch is also not what it seems.

you have the right line, you just have the wrong context.

She refers tot he night's watch, and i wont get into my theories here but they took the wall from the Others and forced them north. then they villainized the 13th lord commander stark and exiled him north.

basically, while today's night's watch may not even know what or who theyre fighting against, the older night's watch were corrupt. they specifically destroyed all records of the night's king before villainizing his name, they gave all the credit to building the wall to bran the builder (it IS a huge chunk of ICE, you know).

and forgive the crackpot "go-against-everything-you-know" thoughtpattern. i think The Others have a purpose.

• 3 months later...

Old Nan is a wildling. Wildlings hate the NW who they refer to as "crows".

it's her definition of the "lie," that im most concerned about. I already suspect TNW rooted in lies, right down to the construction, use, and purpose, of that giant block of ice they call a wall.

it's her definition of the "lie," that im most concerned about. I already suspect TNW rooted in lies, right down to the construction, use, and purpose, of that giant block of ice they call a wall.

I'm not really concerned over her definition.

Yes it is quite clear the Wall wasn't built by humans though.

Archived