Top 5 blunders in the Series

Ser Eric

How is that a blunder? First, Jon isn't the rightful heir to anything -- House Targaryen was overthrown, and Ned helped do it. Second, if Jon's parentage had been known he would have been killed.

Well, telling Cat could've saved them all A LOT of headaches... and at least someone more would have been alive to know it after Ned lost his head.

1. Anyone at any point trusting Varys or LF. See esp. Ned in GoT and Lysa generally

2. A blunder which personally costs the 'blunderer' the most has to be Theon's decision to take Winterfell and then remain there because, you know, Reek.

3. Cersei rearming the faith, annoying the iron bank, appointing various incompetent or dishonest people to small council & KG. Basically everything she did when she was in charge.

4. Cat releasing Jaime. I'm one of the biggest Stark defenders out there but this plan was so half-baked. She had to believe that they (J, Brienne & Cleos Frey) would get all the way to KL across a bloody WARZONE, then that Jaime would honour the vow, then that the girls would be able to get safely back across the aforementioned WARZONE. Just a very bad plan.

5. Dany hanging around slavers bay. She may end up coming out of it well, we'll see in WoW, but there are literally tens of thousands of dead people in her wake right now.

6. I know I'm supposed to do five, but the whole "Send Quentyn half way across the world to marry Dany despite the marriage pact involving two different people and all the other things that could go wrong" plan. It just seems like an uncharacteristically dangerous and stupid move from someone as calculating and patient as Doran Martell.

1. Gendry not ringing that bell

2. Ned not stopping Ashara from killing herself, thereby opening the avenue to wifey Cat and having Ashara as a paramour. He told Cersei he made a lot if mistakes: this was his biggest one.

3. Ned keeping Dawn. Later, he could give Ice to Robb and Jon would get Dawn. Could have saved Ned Dayne from getting curb stomped by Dorkstar ;__;

4. Ser Duncan and seemingly every encounter with ladies he fancies. He blushes more than a maiden.

5. Val not getting a piece of dat dere LC. She might have missed her chance :(. Long live the Wildling "10/10" Princess.

1.) daeron the young dragon trusting the dornish to not murder stab him up the ass at any giving moment.

2.) aerion drinking fire why just why :huh: :shocked: would anyone want to be a over grown hermaphrodite lizard?!?!?!

3.) recent cersei.

4.) imry florent never ever ever go into a battle blind, information about the enemy wins war's.

5.) Balon thinking he could hold and consolidate the north before the north men kick's the iron born out the north.

We don't know that Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna. That's just the commonly accepted story in Westeros. She was not the kind of woman to let herself be kidnapped, and I think it's more likely that she went willingly.

Yes, because a teenage girl with no martial skills besides implausibly defeating 3 trained knights in a joust would really be able to stop herself getting kidnapped by 2 knights of the Kingsguard, the Prince of Dragonstone and a few other knightly companions.

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned that Robb might have mentioned to his uncle 'Edmure, you should probably be aware I'd quite like to draw Tywin's army west' or Edmure not noticing the strategic advantage himself...it was what he was trained for after all!

Looking forward I think some of the biggest blunders will prove to be from Walder Frey 1) Letting the northern army cross thus allowing the rebellion to really start and 2) betraying the Starks and Tullys at the Red Wedding. Seriously, his ally's can't trust him, his enemies loath him, some of his sons and grandsons would gladly kill him if they were next in line, the chances are the IT will at some point be occupied by someone who will execute him for no better reason than stubborn principle and when he does die his house will probably tear itself apart.

Your new but you just started a shitstorm. Never bring that up unless you want ever Edmure fan on earth down your throat.

Welcome to the boards.

1. Robb's marriage. I think this is the single biggest blunder of the series, because his reasoning (protecting her honor) doesn't even make sense. As King his honor is no longer just his own, he is the personification of his realm. His honor is that of everyone of his lords, his soldiers and his subjects. Therefore by marrying Jeyne, he dishonors not just himself, but all these people. Further, he dishonors Jeyne, as he's removing her agency from the whole situation. Jeyne knew the consequences of her actions. She knew that Robb was promised to another. She would have known that there should have been no chance for anything after. Either covering up the whole instance or marrying her off to one of his vassals would easily have covered all the honor problems. Instead Robb dishonors his kingdom and his allies.

2. Pretty much everything Cersei does.

3. Dany not going to Vaes Dothrak, could have saved a lot of people's lives, instead she intends to unleash a kalasaar on Westeros after blundering through Essos. All to take a country she doesn't know anything about, because her (mad) brother said they are the rightful Kings...

4. Pretty much everything Theon does upon leaving Robb.

5. Tywin treating Tyrion the way he does. He basically alienates his most capable heir.

Robb and Edmure - hard to say. Very fluid situation, planning as they go, and how was Edmure to know that his teenage nephew was going to turn out to be a war savant? And even BF, how were people to really know how smart and capable he still is, after a decade guarding a gate in the Vale? Eddy still should have waited for orders since they were engaging with multiple enemies in an ever changing landscape, but whos to say Robb and BF dont show up to Riverrun and trash Edmure for being a lazy prick and just sitting on his ass when he could have been out killing lions.

Robb and Jeyne - yep, that is squarely on Robb. Bad freaking move dude. Seriously, have some wolfsblood for once, make her a nice breakfast and say you'll send a raven, DONT GET MARRIED! Guy could have explained it a bit, or at least put off the marriage for a bit (uh, sure, lets talk about marriage after this war I am currently fighting....). They were right when they said he lost his kingdom when he spurned the Freys.

Robert/Jon Arryn - for not properly purging KL of their enemies. Jaime Lannister should have been on a ship, in chains, to the Wall the same day they annoucned he was to marry Cersei. Tywin would be stuck, or left to face a serious rout by the Vale, North and Stormlands. Then they continue to let Varys and LF do their things...although they seem to have both overlooked the little men because of their lack of status. Didnt Jon Arryn have any instinct to watch out for his young wife's former boyfriend? Who else would be just OK with the guy hanging around, regardless of how useful he is? I wouldnt want him around.

Quentyn....dumb. He should have rethought his situation, and taken another run at Dany, not at the actual dragons. But that backs up to Doran in general, and I'll tend to leave him some room for surprising me with a twist on his genius revenge plan..but time is running out on that scenario. There might not be anyting more to his plan than the old marriage promise and a spy in KL, and if thats the case then Doran is the larger blunderer here. I still think he should have sent Oberyn to fetch Dany - guy would have ruled it all the way out to Essos, he would have wowed Dany, and they would be flying back to Westeros torching randoms and Lannisters on the way.

Cersei is pretty amazing at blunders - arming Aurane Waters is just freaking great.

Cat seizing Tyrion is pretty reckless, but she did think he was guilty at the time. Turned out to be a bad move.

Archived