The Targs attempts to wake dragons

Benjen

I do hope we can get information on Balerion's death in the reign of Jaehaerys. Beyond that, don't expect too much. ;)

I suspect we might be able to get a bit more on some of the attempts to rouse dragons, but not all of them. Certainly, not Summerhall.

• 5 years later...

Here is a list of the dragon death times and circumstances (as complete as I can make it)

Balerion the Black Dread: Died sometime during the reign of Jaeherys I, so between 48 and 103 AL, at around 200 years of age

Meraxes: Unknown

Silverwing: Unknown, but was alive and well during the reign of Jaeherys I

Syrax: Implied to have survived the Dance of Dragons

Urrax: Killed at some point by Serwyn of the Mirrorshield, only info we have on chronology is that Serwyn was a member of Kingsguard and that the giants were still very much a threat, and that it was prior to the Dance of Dragons, because someone tried to replicate the feat during the Dance.

Vhagar: Ridden by Visenya Targaryen during the conquest, Vhagar was still very much alive during Dance of Dragons (129-131 AL) when he/she/it was ridden by Prince Aemond Targaryen

The last Targaryen dragon (prior to Drogon, Viserion, and Rhaegal), was a small, sickly, and mishapen green female who produced five eggs (none of which hatched) before dying young. This was during the reign of Aegon III, who ruled from 131 - 157 AL

As for attempts to hatch dragon eggs, we are told that 'many futile attempts were made', though we are only told the details of a few. Excluding Dany's successful attempt, we have:

Aegon III: had nine mages cross the sea in the attempt to wake dragon eggs

Baelor I: Tried praying over his eggs, to no avail.

Additionally, it is implied that the Tragedy of Summerhall was accidentally caused by Aegon V attempting to hatch his eggs.

didnt some one drink wilde fire aswell in an attempt to turn into a dragon

someone built wooden dragons of some kind which got burned. (I tought it was to turn them into real dragons but i might be wrong)

Aerion drank the wildfire, claiming it would turn him into a dragon. Spoiler alert - he dies instead.

Aegon IV ("Aegon the Unworthy") attempted to make dragons out of wood, to replace the live ones that had all died out during the Dance of Dragons and its aftermath. ISTR that there is a mention made somewhere of his wooden dragons being linked to his attempt to conquer Dorne.

Based on Ran's response above, I think it is probably we will not see too much more on the fates of all the dragons, or the results of all attempts to raise dragons, in the foreseeable future. The above two attempts are the most well-known in current day Westeros, but there were probably several other attempts.

Archived