a crown for cold silver

jobmartell

*snip*

Okay, explain to me why a dude who has made a name for himself by *ahem* coming up with fake names to sell books, feels the need to suddenly go all cloak and dagger over a new pseudonym.

Makes no sense whatsoever.

Anyways, I'm with PB. At the end of the day, who really gives a shit? I suspect when Marshall's true identity is revealed, it will be as earth-shatteringly exciting as the KJ Parker reveal.

You know its entirely possible for there to be more than one author that likes metal. Alsi, how has Alder published in several genres?

Yes, there are quite a few authors who are into metal. If that were the sole criterion for my belief, it would be a weak argument indeed. But it's the collective whole that convinces me, including my reading of Son of the Morning and Elvish Gene. As for publishing in several genres, Mark Barrowcliffe's bibliography includes lad lit, and autobiography. Add this to historical fantasy (Son of the Morning), and you have "several genres." I think you can also add horror (with Wolfsangel) to sweeten the pot. And he admits to ghost writing, so who knows what additional genres lie therein.

Yes, there are quite a few authors who are into metal. If that were the sole criterion for my belief, it would be a weak argument indeed. But it's the collective whole that convinces me, including my reading of Son of the Morning and Elvish Gene. As for publishing in several genres, Mark Barrowcliffe's bibliography includes lad lit, and autobiography. Add this to historical fantasy (Son of the Morning), and you have "several genres." I think you can also add horror (with Wolfsangel) to sweeten the pot. And he admits to ghost writing, so who knows what additional genres lie therein.

You still haven't given a plausible explanation as to why he'd be so coy about the Alex Marshall pseudonym.

Okay, explain to me why a dude who has made a name for himself by *ahem* coming up with fake names to sell books, feels the need to suddenly go all cloak and dagger over a new pseudonym.

That was probably a publisher's decision not his. It could be, for instance, to create a new mystery to replace K.J. Parker's. The publisher may not have liked his sales under other names, etc.

"Anyways, I'm with PB. At the end of the day, who really gives a shit?"

Based on what I've seen on the internet, lots of people do. In fact, I started this "research" in response to several such discussions. And actually, if you really didn't give a shit, you wouldn't have asked MD Lachlan. At the end of the day, those who don't care don't have to bother with my argument; it wasn't meant for them. Peace.

That was probably a publisher's decision not his. It could be, for instance, to create a new mystery to replace K.J. Parker's. The publisher may not have liked his sales under other names, etc.

"Anyways, I'm with PB. At the end of the day, who really gives a shit?"

Based on what I've seen on the internet, lots of people do. In fact, I started this "research" in response to several such discussions. And actually, if you really didn't give a shit, you wouldn't have asked MD Lachlan. At the end of the day, those who don't care don't have to bother with my argument; it wasn't meant for them. Peace.

I only asked him because we've spoken on twitter a few times in the past, he seems a nice enough bloke, and appears to welcome a bit of interaction with the punters. You might be right, for all the reasons you have given. But for me, seeing as he's not at all shy about discussing his various alter-egos, I doubt it's him.

But if it is Barrowcliffe, and all the secrecy was forced upon him by his publisher, and his publisher is reading this, then listen up: I've read and enjoyed the Wolfsangel books. I absolutely freaking loved Son of the Morning. And if A Crown for Cold Silver had been published by MD Lachlan, or by Mark Alder, I would definitely have bought the book and read it by now. But because I have no fucking clue who this Alex Marshall is, and my TBR list is as long as an orangutan's arm, well ... I might get around to reading it someday, but I'm in no hurry.

By the way, no offense meant to anyone.

No worries. It's a decent enough theory, thoughtful and well presented. And I for one am not offended in any way. :cheers:

What the hell is lad lit?

And I always see son of the morning and wolfs angel listed under fantasy.

I don't know why you have such a hard on for this being Barrowciff. Do you have money riding on it?

Lad lit is defined by Word Spy as "a literary genre that features books written by men and focusing on young, male characters, particularly those who are selfish, insensitive, and afraid of commitment." With regard to how you've seen Son of the Morning and Wolfsangel defined, it really doesn't matter. Fantasy, lad lit, and autobiography is still legitimately "several genres."

The only things I ever have had a hard-on for have all been female, which Barrowcliffe doesn't appear to be. And no, I don't have any money riding on it; that would be reckless and certainly wouldn't be resolved just by a strong argument—it would thus be a cents-less gamble. :) I just am naturally curious, and like solving puzzles and pursuing mysteries. My formal educational background was in mathematics and philosophy, with a lot of science and psychology mixed in later on through self-study, all of which dovetails well with such inclinations. I have a Sherlock Holmes–type interest in this; that's all. Plus, I like A Crown of Cold Silver so much, that I'd like to read other works by Marshall, which is kind of hard to do if I don't know who he/she/it/they is/are. So marshalling this argument is a way to possibly resolve that issue.

Signed HC sold on ebay today for 35$. The picture of the signature looked weird, like someone signing their parents name on a absence slip. Asked seller how he got the signature and said it was " a guaranteed signature from a special book signing" ? Then compared aCfCS to The Cuckoos Calling.

Archived